Twinhan Starbox Power adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BaldHead

Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Miami
Hi all,
I found a Twinhan Starbox VisionPlus model# VP-7021 PartNumber 105111A-301 USB FTA receiver but sadly without the power adapter. Can one of the starbox owners on this forum tell me what power adapter to use? Also, if this is a AC to DC power adapter, can you please explain how the plug is configured (where the + and - are)?

Thanks

yes

nine volts DC, at two amps, regulated.
it's a little wall-wart switcher.
plus is on the center pin; minus is on the barrel.

had to disassemble mine to look - I mounted board and PS into an external box last year, for better cooling.

had to disassemble mine to look - I mounted board and PS into an external box last year, for better cooling.

That's a GREAT idea! I'm going to do that with mine. It overheats very easily, causing the MPEG stream to break up after its been on for a while.

Going to check out some enclosures, will post a thread here on the project :)

Let me know.
I'll take some pictures of mine, and contribute.

I used a real PC power supply box, and put the little external wall-wart inside.
Pretty much zero cost.

Time to dig up this thread :D

I just gutted a burned-out PC power supply (I knew that thing would come in handy someday :) ). There are all sorts of useful things in there! It's time I got started with this project. Opened up the Starbox as per your instructions, Anole. What I saw surprised me.

There's an Altera chipset on the flip side of the board, which has VERY LITTLE (if any) room for air. These chipsets require proper ventilation, I know because they are commonly used in digital broadcast gear. No wonder this thing was prone to overheating! When I remount the board in the PC power supply box, that chipset is going to be face-up.

I will be posting my progress and pics, might get done this weekend if I can find a Radio Shack open tomorrow (I need long standoffs)... :rolleyes:

I think I used 3/4" nylon, but I'll double check 'em.
Better dust of my camera, too.
Don't think my cell phone is so good for close-focus stuff.

it would be great if u show us ur photos of the steps u did for solving the overheating problem

Had a bunch of things going the last couple of weeks, so I haven't gotten started mounting the board. Soon, hopefully. There will be plenty of pics :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)