Twinhan Starbox Power adapter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BaldHead

Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Miami
Hi all,
I found a Twinhan Starbox VisionPlus model# VP-7021 PartNumber 105111A-301 USB FTA receiver but sadly without the power adapter. Can one of the starbox owners on this forum tell me what power adapter to use? Also, if this is a AC to DC power adapter, can you please explain how the plug is configured (where the + and - are)?

Thanks

yes

nine volts DC, at two amps, regulated.
it's a little wall-wart switcher.
plus is on the center pin; minus is on the barrel.

had to disassemble mine to look - I mounted board and PS into an external box last year, for better cooling.

had to disassemble mine to look - I mounted board and PS into an external box last year, for better cooling.

That's a GREAT idea! I'm going to do that with mine. It overheats very easily, causing the MPEG stream to break up after its been on for a while.

Going to check out some enclosures, will post a thread here on the project :)

Let me know.
I'll take some pictures of mine, and contribute.

I used a real PC power supply box, and put the little external wall-wart inside.
Pretty much zero cost.

Time to dig up this thread :D

I just gutted a burned-out PC power supply (I knew that thing would come in handy someday :) ). There are all sorts of useful things in there! It's time I got started with this project. Opened up the Starbox as per your instructions, Anole. What I saw surprised me.

There's an Altera chipset on the flip side of the board, which has VERY LITTLE (if any) room for air. These chipsets require proper ventilation, I know because they are commonly used in digital broadcast gear. No wonder this thing was prone to overheating! When I remount the board in the PC power supply box, that chipset is going to be face-up.

I will be posting my progress and pics, might get done this weekend if I can find a Radio Shack open tomorrow (I need long standoffs)... :rolleyes:

I think I used 3/4" nylon, but I'll double check 'em.
Better dust of my camera, too.
Don't think my cell phone is so good for close-focus stuff.

it would be great if u show us ur photos of the steps u did for solving the overheating problem

Had a bunch of things going the last couple of weeks, so I haven't gotten started mounting the board. Soon, hopefully. There will be plenty of pics :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts