Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
A lot has changed in the world of USB satellite receivers since my original SkyStar2 USB review:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=27114

The VisionPlus StarBox is the very latest in the line of TwinHan receivers and is aimed at users who either own a laptop, those who have no free PCI slots or users who may not be comfortable installing PCI cards into their machine.
The StarBox is capable of Ku and C-Band digital reception with full DiSEqC, USALS and 22KHz support.

The box arrived from Sadoun via FedEx within 2 days, as with the 120cm dish I received I can't fault Sadoun on their fast shipping.

What's in the box?

Encased within the box are the main components which are held in place securely in plastic to prevent damage, everything survived the journey without damage.

The unit comes with a clear braided USB cable for connection from the receiver to the computer.
A universal 9V power supply is included which is capable of 100V-240V operation for overseas use.
The installation sheet and driver CD include easy instructions for connecting the receiver to the host PC and include the main application and drivers for the StarBox as well as a copy of Cyberlinks excellent PowerDVD5 software complete with serial number.
The included IR remote control comes complete with batteries all ready to use and is full-featured with practically every command you'll ever need to control the system.
Lastly the unit itself, TwinHan have invested a lot of R&D into shrinking things down, the box itself is pocket-sized and is finished in a tasteful metallic grey colour with the VisionPlus logo embossed on the sides.
The box can either lay horizontal or vertical with the included detachable stand.

On the rear of the box we have the power socket, the F-connector and the USB2 socket, all are easy to access and are self explanatory.

In use:

I decided to test this receiver using my laptop which is equipped with USB2 ports to match the StarBox.
After visiting the TwinHan site I saw that new drivers had just been released which is reassuring to know they're continually updating their software.

I plugged the StarBox into the USB2 port and installed the latest driver - Windows accepted the receiver without a hitch so I proceeded to fire up the software.

It's amazing how things have changed within a year.

Instead of throwing out the software and opting for ProgDVB I found the included software intuitive and easy to use with most of the popular options in the sub-menus.
One thing badly missing from the old Skystar2 software were DiSEqC options.
I can safely say that DiSEqC works very nicely with options for motor control as well as DiSEqC switching and 22KHz switching.
The only issue I could find with the included application was the fact that it wouldn't accept my lat/lon for USALS, giving the error that the satellite wasn't visible from my location, a quick fix of adding "-" to my latitude had me on my way to moving the dish.
The included remote control has keys for practically everything you'll ever need to control the VisionDTV software comfortably, it also works from quite a distance - I managed to control the SatBox from 20ft away without a problem.

For the novice user the included software is a great starting point with most of the options you'll need to get up and running, if you want the TwinHan StarBox to show what it can really do, you'll need to install a 3rd party app such as MyTheatre.

MyTheatre works perfectly with this receiver, DiSEqC is seamless, channel scanning is fast and reliable and it's as if MyTheatre was written specifically for this box.
The only omission with MT is remote control support for the StarBox, the author should be planning remote control support soon.

With the last USB receiver I reviewed I noticed that after a while the picture would begin to break up which I attributed to the relatively low bandwidth of the USB1 bus.
To test for this again I tuned to CCTV9 on Galaxy3C which is a higher-bitrate channel.
I suffered no skips, no locking up, everything was in sync and worked fluidly with a superb picture quality.
With a theoretic 400mbps (As opposed to 11mbps with USB1) The new USB2 standard allows more data from channels such as CCTV9 to flow over the USB bus so there's no chance of even coming close to reaching that 400mbs limit, even with HDTV.

Conclusion:

This really is a great little box with superb sensitivity.
Many people would say that a USB receiver won't match a PCI card in terms of speed or features - Twinhan has just proved them wrong, I noticed no difference using the StarBox over the hardware-based Nexus-S.

The picture quality through the included MPEG-2 software decoder is fantastic and looks even better than my Nexus-S does in hardware mode.
Granted, the included software isn't perfect although it is more than adequate for those who simply want to watch TV, the majority of advanced FTA watchers will use MyTheatre, ProgDVB or RitzDVB.

The VisionPlus StarBox is now a permanent part of my setup. If I visit my in-laws where they only receive 2 terrestrial channels, or whether I feel like a being total geek I can still go out into the back yard and watch FTA.

Try doing that with a PCI card.

Many thanks to our Gold sponsor, Sadoun Satellite Sales for providing the review sample.
The TwinHan StarBox is currently on sale for $89 before the Satelliteguys.us discount.

Attachments

• IMG_8672.jpg
    IMG_8672.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_8682.jpg
    IMG_8682.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_8692.jpg
    IMG_8692.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_8689.jpg
    IMG_8689.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_8708.jpg
    IMG_8708.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • IMG_8713.jpg
    IMG_8713.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_8711.jpg
    IMG_8711.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 894
Thanks for the review. One question. Is it really supporting USB2.0? I remember before it came out, specs were saying that it was only usb 1.1 compliant. I guess they heard our complaints that 1.1 is not enough for HD stuff. If they really did put in usb 2.0, that is a great move on their part.

The only thing I wish is that it could power it self directly from usb port instead of using a power supply, but not sure if it is possible since it needs to convert 5V to 13V/18V. this qould have made it super easy to take out side with you and plug in the laptop next to your dish when fine tuning and installing your dish.

Q. Is it really supporting USB2.0?
A. It's definitely USB2, MyTheatre identifies the StarBox as:
Twinhan DVB-S VP702X (StarBox) 1.89 USB 2.0

Q. What operating systems are supported by the drivers for this device?
A. Windows2000 is fully supported along with XP.

Q. Can you verify that this picks up 4:2:2
A. 4:2:2 is only restricted by the software and video codec you're using.

Q. How about AC3 Audio?
A. AC3 is dependant on your software.

Were you able to test some HD content with it? Maybe PBS HD? 4:2:2 without issue?

I'm concidering one of these (or a PCI card) for my PC upstairs once I move the CoolSat downstairs.

What operating systems are supported by the drivers for this device? Is it windows XP only or is windows 2000 (with service pack 4 for USB 2.0 support) also supported?

Mr. CASCADE,this reply is not a hack talking,right ???

Stefan said:
What operating systems are supported by the drivers for this device? Is it windows XP only or is windows 2000 (with service pack 4 for USB 2.0 support) also supported?

Compatible with Win 98,2000,Me and XP.

Cascade,
Thanks for the great review! Can you verify that this picks up 4:2:0 and 4:2:2.
I'm a sports nut and this would complement my current set-up nicely.

Thanks!

scupmando, I can't test it at the moment but I can't see any reason why it won't do 4:2:2 - in effect all the receiver is doing is passing data over the USB bus to the MPEG2 decoder.

Sadoun has some really great deals on these right now, and if you take a look at their ebay sales, you might get one SHIPPED for less than a $50 bill!

Hi timmy1376

You are right, we have had a few on eBay starting at $0.99 with NO reserve. But those offers are like 1 or 2 pcs a week. So you have to keep an eye on it and BID HIGH :D as soon as you can.

Right now we have the STARBOX USB receiver on sale for $89.00 on our website, which is an excellent price, BTW.

Not only will you be able to use it for FTA satellite TV, but also for one-way internet via satellite at up to 700kbps download speed.

We will be introducing this service in a few days.

Does the lack of a blind search make this unit hard to find new things? I remember reading in another thread that there are no apps available for blind search. I'm still a newbie and get confused easily!
On a side note: if I was to someday get accepted into the "what's up there" section of the board would it be pretty easy to find the sports and other backhauls I'm looking for?
The yahoo group for backhauls is o.k., but I just know this one has to be better! If so; I'll re-apply when my post count gets a bit higher and I get a better handle on all this stuff.
Thanks.

scupmando said:
Does the lack of a blind search make this unit hard to find new things? I remember reading in another thread that there are no apps available for blind search. I'm still a newbie and get confused easily!
a blind scan does help when it comes for looking for news feeds, becasue they can be there for 10 minutes tops. If you are mainly looking for the common stuff, you wouldn't need a blind scan
On a side note: if I was to someday get accepted into the "what's up there" section of the board would it be pretty easy to find the sports and other backhauls I'm looking for?
The yahoo group for backhauls is o.k., but I just know this one has to be better! If so; I'll re-apply when my post count gets a bit higher and I get a better handle on all this stuff.
Thanks.
The yahoo group has everything related to backhaul, C & KU band, both analog & digital. What is in our area is most of the time KU digital :)

scupmando, no blind search software has been written for it as of yet.
As for using the WUT forum, it's a simple process of typing in the frequency, symbolrate and polarity.

Thanks again for answering all my questions. I've decided to get one! Fta is so addictive.

Just a few bad thinks in USB Starbox

Only MyTheatre 3.21 and over support USB Starbox.Just prepare for restarting every hour(unregistered version) or buy it only $40.Forget about oryginal Twinhan software - it is useless for our "FTA".No remote control support from MyTheatre.Just a few thinks but can pissing you off.IN 2 months experience and still nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)