two accounts on one dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhelm72

Original poster
May 21, 2011
north carolina
I have my dish setup at my RV on a pole. I had new neighbors move in. They have dish network also. This is the only spot where you can get reception so I told them they can run a line and hook up to my dish with their receiver. It is a slimline 3LNB so it has 4 outputs.
After they hooked up to my receiver, I get a hum and I can't get reception. I unhooked their line and my reception is fine. I do not know much about satellite systems. What do you all think is causing humming and poor reception when we hook our two accounts to the same dish? Each one works fine when plugged in alone.

I would check the electrical wiring to ensure it matches exactly; hot, neutral, and ground. Then check the ground potential between the two RVs. Somewhere you have either an electrical wiring problem or a ground potential difference between the two vehicles.

Sorry, it is directv. The neighbors have directv also. I got confused. Maybe I will post this in the dirctv forum. Thanks for the information guys. I bet it does have something to do with wiring in the two vehicles. as long as only one of us is plugged in to the dish at the same time it works fine. Can you have two separate receivers on two separate accounts sharing one dish? I wonder if some sort of ground isolator exists????

two accounts sharing one dish

I have my dish setup at my RV on a pole. I had new neighbors move in. They have directv also. This is the only spot where you can get reception (lots of trees) so I told them they can run a line and hook up to my dish with their receiver. It is a slimline 3LNB so it has 4 outputs.
After they hooked up to my receiver, I get a hum and I can't get reception. I unhooked their line and my reception is fine. I do not know much about satellite systems. What do you all think is causing humming and poor reception when we hook our two accounts to the same dish? Each one works fine when plugged in alone.

I'm thinking electrical also. Can you power both receivers from the same camper?

I suppose I could run an extesion cord temporarily to test the theory. Thanks for the good idea. I will try that next weekend.
If it is electric interference or some sort of ground loop thing, should I start by grounding the dish or the RVs? ... I thought RVs were self grounding through the steel frame and stabilizer jacks that make contact with the ground.

It's not that each camper, receiver, and/or TV isn't grounded (properly), it's that they're different grounds.

Ok... sounds like a ground problem is the most likely source. Should I drive a grounding rod between the two campers and use it as a common ground, then have a grounding block for the coax at each camper and run a grounding wire back to this same common ground?
It seems like I may have problems unless everything is grounded to one common ground.

I suppose I could run an extesion cord temporarily to test the theory. Thanks for the good idea. I will try that next weekend.
If it is electric interference or some sort of ground loop thing, should I start by grounding the dish or the RVs? ... I thought RVs were self grounding through the steel frame and stabilizer jacks that make contact with the ground.

Your RV should be grounded thru the Electrical connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)