Two Hopper 3's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Valid point and there are a LOT of other people who also want 2 H3's for various reasons, most importantly redundancy. Right now you can't have 2 H3's because DISH says you can't. You should probably lobby DISH to change that policy if you want 2 H3's..

I did gripe and have 2 activated Hopper 3's. Now I just need to make the 2nd one work. So far it looks like I need a second dish to do so.

I get the PTAT thing, but it looks like I can't record PTAT AND say a separate recording of a show in that list, though that would solve the problem!

Yeah I guess I kinda went nuclear over it. Mostly got fed up trying to communicate with some folks for whom English is CLEARLY a second language. In any event, I finally emailed and got a really
nice totally helpful guy who probably should not be named, and now I have a second Hopper 3 purchased on Amazon and has been activated. Now if only I could use it. :)

Does anyone know why two Hopper 3's are not supported? Does anyone know a wiring diagram for two
Hopper 3's where one Hopper is not seen by the other? Otherwise I will need a separate dish. Thanks!
I believe that it is not economical for dish to install two Hopper 3's at this time because it would require separate reflectors for each Hopper 3, and throughout the history of dish additional reflectors on installs have been something dish despises for the economies.

Vivek did confirm that, technically, two H3's can, indeed, be installed today, but that it requires at least 2 reflectors to do so, one reflector for each H3. A few who have managed to get two H3's on one account are rare. Even DIRT seems unable to facilitate a two H3 install, but a few have manged to get them.

Further, we have heard on this forum that International subscribers have been told they do not "qualify" for ANY H3 at all. Again, as of today, the LNBF's necessary for the H3's do NOT support 118 where the Internationals are today. Any install that includes Internationals at 118 would require a 2nd reflector for 118 and dish does not like to spend on additional reflectors. By the way, I believe as of today that a two H3 install AND International at 118 would require at least THREE reflectors, one for each H3 and one for 118, an even more expensive install for dish.

However, there is some good news. Vivek did confirm that a new switch is supposed to be available by late this year (we hope) that can provide for a TWO H3 install using only ONE reflector. The new switch is what will make two H3 installs sufficiently economical for dish because it requires only ONE reflector, so until that switch is released, dish's standard answer for a two H3 install is "NO!" It is the same answer for those who may want only ONE H3, but also need to see 118 for Internationals.

FWIW, I am waiting for the new switch because one DVR is inadequate for our situation. It has the added bonus of allowing some time for dish to fix some of the bigger H3 bugs. So, I'm with you, OP.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I believe that it is not economical for dish to install two Hopper 3's at this time because it would require separate reflectors for each Hopper 3, and throughout the history of dish additional reflectors on installs have been something dish despises for the economies.

Vivek did confirm that, technically, two H3's can, indeed, be installed today, but that it requires at least 2 reflectors to do so, one reflector for each H3. A few who have managed to get two H3's on one account are rare. Even DIRT seems unable to facilitate a two H3 install, but a few have manged to get them.

Further, we have heard on this forum that International subscribers have been told they do not "qualify" for ANY H3 at all. Again, as of today, the LNBF's necessary for the H3's do NOT support 118 where the Internationals are today. Any install that includes Internationals at 118 would require a 2nd reflector for 118 and dish does not like to spend on additional reflectors. By the way, I believe as of today that a two H3 install AND International at 118 would require at least THREE reflectors, one for each H3 and one for 118, an even more expensive install for dish.

However, there is some good news. Vivek did confirm that a new switch is supposed to be available by late this year (we hope) that can provide for a TWO H3 install using only ONE reflector. The new switch is what will make two H3 installs sufficiently economical for dish because it requires only ONE reflector, so until that switch is released, dish's standard answer for a two H3 install is "NO!" It is the same answer for those who may want only ONE H3, but also need to see 118 for Internationals.

FWIW, I am waiting for the new switch because one DVR is inadequate for our situation. It has the added bonus of allowing some time for dish to fix some of the bigger H3 bugs. So, I'm with you, OP.

I was lucky enough to get a second one activated, but I'm guessing I'm gonna need a second reflector.

I was lucky enough to get a second one activated, but I'm guessing I'm gonna need a second reflector.
Yes, unless they have the new switch by now, which I doubt. Usually we hear of it here first whenever a new switch in out ready for installs. But at least you'll have 2 H3's. I hope you enjoy them.

Below is Vivek's quote regarding 2 H3 installs with forthcoming swithch:

Option 2 – available towards the end of this year. We will have a new switch DPH42 – that will support using your existing 1000+ DISH and existing LNB and will also allow you to have more than one Hopper 3. So you will not require a 2nd DISH, will not have to change your current LNB and you can have multiple Hopper3’s. Since this part is still under development, I do not have a more specific date than Q4-2016 at this time.

What about this, will the two Hopper 3's each know the other one is there and share the DVR's info? Also do they combine as a super system and give you 32+ tuners? Not sure why anyone would need that but just wondering.
Also about 118, yeah I have RTN (Horse) Race Track Network on 118 and I had to have two dishes installed when back when I had the Hopper 2 I just had one. The dish second dish is big and doesn't look cheap. But the good news was there was no issues from Dish on the phone and the installer knew exactly what I needed when he got there so there was really no hassle, except for him that is, having to install the second Dish. Another factor maybe that I feel like I may be one of the very few residential subscribers to RTN so when the person on the phone sees I subscribe they probably don't recognize it lives on 118 like they would if it said I had international programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts