Two hoppers seeing each other but have a question

dirtrat

Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Just had my install done yesterday with no problems at all. I have two hoppers and one joey installed. When I go to record something, I can select the other hopper but was wondering exactly what this means. By doing this is it just recording the show on the hard drive of the other hopper or is it actually using the other hoppers tuner also? I'm curious to what the actual benefits are of having the two hoppers talk to each other? Also is there any way to see what the tuners on the other hopper are actually watching?

The only benefit of the two hoppers seeing each other is. You don't have to have ptat on booth.. You can watch what ever is on the other hopper..

Sorry, I have not been on these forums for a long time and don't know what PTAT is. Are there any other threads or web sites that may explain this in better detail?

Just had my install done yesterday with no problems at all. I have two hoppers and one joey installed. When I go to record something, I can select the other hopper but was wondering exactly what this means. By doing this is it just recording the show on the hard drive of the other hopper or is it actually using the other hoppers tuner also? I'm curious to what the actual benefits are of having the two hoppers talk to each other? Also is there any way to see what the tuners on the other hopper are actually watching?

Congrats...

I just had the 2H/1J installed Friday...Couple little quirks so far, but am hopeful for few problems once we've owned it longer and have had a bunch of timers firing-off.

I know you can view your other Hoppers DVR recordings, but I was not aware (and don't think) you can set timers from one hopper to another? It would be nice if that was the case..I might have to try that before bed tonight.

Sorry, I have not been on these forums for a long time and don't know what PTAT is. Are there any other threads or web sites that may explain this in better detail?

You definitely need to get a pdf of the Hopper manual. I actually read through quite a bit of it as there is quite a bit of functionality to initially learn...Someone here can probably direct you to one, I stumbled on access to it while on the dbstalk site.

Between this site and the manual you'll be in good shape.

So you guys with 2H/1J - did you get that thru Dish or a local retailer?

I know this is a new feature/option with the latest software and I didn't think any manual would actually cover it but I'll check it out.

You definitely need to get a pdf of the Hopper manual. I actually read through quite a bit of it as there is quite a bit of functionality to initially learn...Someone here can probably direct you to one, I stumbled on access to it while on the dbstalk site.

Between this site and the manual you'll be in good shape.

I know this is a new feature/option with the latest software and I didn't think any manual would actually cover it but I'll check it out.

Yah, too new for the existing manual - if it can be done at all? And my 2h/1j was directly through dish like the op's. A few hoops to jump through, but it's definitely possible

It looks like you can't access the other hoppers tuners or save anything to it's hard drive. The only real option would be to set up a recurring (Season) timer on the other Hopper and then you would be able to access that recording through your Hopper. I wonder if they will be able to improve the capabilities between the Hoppers with future software updates? Still pretty cool stuff.

I've had Hopper since March 17, just a few days after release. It's had PTAT that entire time. While Auto Hop is newer, PTAT isn't...

I have 2 hoppers and 1 joey. How would i go about getting the 2 hoppers to see each other? Appreciate any help

Understand that Hoppers seeing each other today means that you can play recordings made on the other Hopper from a drop down menu on the "My Recordings" page. That's all. Your Joey can actually switch between Hoppers to view AND control recordings. There should be no problems viewing recordings from one Hopper to another unless an isolator was installed without you knowing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)