Two Hoppers vs Hopper 3

Rod Williams

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama
I currently have 2 regular hoppers and was wondering if it would be better to have a Hopper 3. My wife primarily uses one Hopper in the Family Room and I use another in my "mancave". We do watch several programs together, but many we do not. Currently when we watch a program on our respective hoppers we are free to delete the program without worrying whether the other wants to watch that program or not.
Is the Hopper 3 software designed to accomodate sharing with other family members? I would hate to watch a show and delete it and have my wife skin me because she hasn't watched it yet. I also don't want to always announce that I have watched a specific program and inquire if she is interested in watching it or not.
Sorry if this seems to be petty.

You can independently watch using a Joey. You can retrieve deleted shows.

With a H3, you lose redundancy. You lose reliable OTA recording, although that may be fixed soon. You lose 4X FF speed, although it appears all Hoppers may lose that soon.

One H3 is slightly cheaper than two Hoppers. For now.

I'm keeping my two HWS.

Reactions: Tampa8
I currently have 2 regular hoppers and was wondering if it would be better to have a Hopper 3. My wife primarily uses one Hopper in the Family Room and I use another in my "mancave". We do watch several programs together, but many we do not. Currently when we watch a program on our respective hoppers we are free to delete the program without worrying whether the other wants to watch that program or not.
Is the Hopper 3 software designed to accomodate sharing with other family members? I would hate to watch a show and delete it and have my wife skin me because she hasn't watched it yet. I also don't want to always announce that I have watched a specific program and inquire if she is interested in watching it or not.

The Hopper 3 will allow you to set up different folders. You would not be able to duplicate recordings in more than one folder.

Not at all petty. That all goes into it. I would think for redundancy what you have is the way to go plus you can freely erase shows rather than each waiting for the other to. Don't let the shiny new bobble distract you two Hopper 2's are a very good set up imo.... :)

Reactions: navychop
By January, we should be able to have TWO H3's (with the new DPH24, Dish will allow such installs). That's what I'm waiting for. No question in our household there is a real need for two Hopper DVR's. Separation of recordings is a must. Yes, it is also nice to have the redundancy.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)