Two locations, same account?

irviii

Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I'm a newbie, so ya'll are going to have to dumb some of the responses down a bit.
I currently have 3 dish recievers hooked up to my satellite dish. We live out in the country and have a big piece of property with a house and a barn/apartment. I'd like to put a dish on the barn and recieve tv that way rather than trying to run a cable a 1/4 mile long. Is this possible, or will dish want to charge me twice as much for a new account?
I've got an unused dish DVR510, and a "Dish Pro" antenna a friend gave me. How would I go about hooking this up? The dish pro has two lines coming out, and the lnb is marked 110w and 119w. Is this a twin or dual lnb? I'm confused as to what the difference/ significance is. I understand different channels come on different ends, but do they need to be connected before going to the the reciever. Will a regular splitter work?
Also, lots of trees. Any good tips from the masters? How big of a "hole" do I need to get to recieve a good signal.
Thanks a million,
Irving
Austin, Texas

Same user, same property. I say it's one account - just hook it up.

If the LNBF is wide - that is, one housing, two eyes, it's a Twin or Quad. If so, only one cable is needed. Check this page for more info: http://www.switchinfo.info/lnbs.html

NEVER put a splitter on a satellite feed cable (yes, I know there's exceptions - but not for this setup).

As for the trees, that's too generic a question - it all just depends. however, down there you're loking pretty high, so the trees would have to be tall and close. Don't make the mistake of thinking the dish is looking where it's pointed - the satellite is actually about 20 degrees higher than what you think. ;)

That reminds me of some customers that have a garage next to their house in which they want a satellite receiver put there as well. I see no problem with that.

It's all good now

Thanks for the help guys, I got it all figured out finally. Had to get creative with mounting the dish to get it to clear the tree line. I ended up mounting it to a tree itself! So after mounting it at the base of a huge oak, and aiming it up and over the roof I got a nice strong signal. Yea... I know, southern engineering...

Thanks again,
Irving

Well, considering the tree is about 3 feet around at it's base, and about 40 feet tall, I don't think it's going to move too much in the near future. What's an acceptable way of burying this cable? Do I need to sleeve it, or is regular rg-6 suitable for direct burial?
Thanks,
Irving

I would sleeve it. However recently I bought some RG6 from Home Depot that was rated for direct burial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)