Two new problems with 522

jlabsher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Lexington Park, MD
I've got v2.51 on my 522 and 2 new problems have sprung up in the last week.

1. Cannot get Dish home, whenever I push the button or go to channel 100, it searches for the satellite and eventually displays the "Satellite not found screen"

2. It has tried to tell me the guide is out of date 2-3 times, in fact the schedule shows "Info not available" and tried to download the entire guide. The progress bar doesn't progress and I have to reboot to get the download guide screen removed. Once I reboot, the schedule is miraclulously updated.

This happens on both TV 1 & 2.

Also have had the problem with it searching for signal whenever I turn it on.

Anybody else seeing anything like this?

I haven't seen that but 522s do the flakiest things. Once in a while mine will decide it doesn't want to do anything for a while but it remembers what I asked, then does them all at once. For example, I pressed SELECT on the remote. Nothing happened, so I pressed it again, then tried DVR, then tried SELECT, then tried VIEW TV, finallt, I pressed the POWER switch a few times and randomly press keys on the remote all to no effect. At this point it refuses still do do anything and I begin to suspect the remote batteries. Just as I am about to change them out, it decides to work and proceeds to execute each of the commands in turn just as I pressed them. It does it purposely just to harass me. Then it will work fine for a week or so and do it again.

It's evil.

JohnP :confused:

One effect of L2.51 seems to be a slowdown of responding to commands. If you push too many buttons, the microprocessor is swamped. It should eventually work its way thru the que and come back. Just take one command at a time, and wait for completion. Our 522, with L2.51, still has the info screen and looking for satellite bug that often prevents scheduled recording on TV2. Maybe next time it will be fixed, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wonder if the slow response to commands is because they allocated more memory for recording/playback or something like that? It does have a noticeable decrease in audio/video glitches but it sounds like we have to put up with missed recordings or audio/video glitches. Can't they fix one bug without creating another? :mad:

Dish Home and the EEPG both come from 110, so if you have trouble getting that satellite location you will have problems with both functions.

Have you tried a switch test?

I didn't realize anyone used dish home for anything...I think we found the one person who plays bingo, quick someone call charlie, got a great "chat" guest for him...

And no, they can't really fix one problem without creating another one without updating hardware...Switching around what the software does would only work if they really rushed the initial software out and glossed over some things...Which we'll probably see when they try to catch D* after the mpeg-4 conversion...

Oh I can see the mpeg-4 receiver posts already...

Actually I went to dish home to see how hot it is in the rest of the country, love instant weather! I'll climb up on the roof and tweak the dish for 110 after it cools down here on the east coast. Thanks.

jlabsher said:
Actually I went to dish home to see how hot it is in the rest of the country, love instant weather! I'll climb up on the roof and tweak the dish for 110 after it cools down here on the east coast. Thanks.
I like that feature, too! Try looking at Death Valley, CA some time. 128 degrees this week. Ouch. The only people who go there this time of year are crazy foreign tourists on air conditioned coaches. Must be a blast furnace getting off the bus.

Back on topic, I keep losing my five entries on my "favorite cities list". :what It keeps coming up empty! :confused:

Dish weather is terrible, I wonder how much longer we'll be without local TWC...It'd be nice to see a live map...

I don't remember charlies reason for why we don't get local TWC like every cable company has had for decades, but if he can give us local channels, local HD, etc...We should be able to figure out how to get local TWC...

That "Locals on the 8" is so insulting...

The local Cable companies run a computer to generate the local weather info for the weather channel. I do not think it would be feasible for any Satellite provider to provide the same local weather info such as the local cable companies do. They would have to transmit a seperate weather channel for each and every local market that would be a lot of additional bandwith and would have to have a computer generate the local info for each market as well. So currently Dish provides locals for well over 100 local markets that would be well over 100 weather channels and well over 100 computers to generate the local weather info it would be a nightmare.

Unless Dish could figure out how to have there recievers access the internet and retrieve the local weather info then generate the approprate local info and overlay it onto the weather channel when the locals are triggered by the weather channel. However that would be alot of additional computing horsepower required for each and every receiver as well as constant internet connection for each receiver which may customers do not have. Like I said before not likely to occure anytime in the near future maybe when every home in the US is connected to broadband or Dish figures out a new signal compression to allow all the additional channels in the current bandwith but dont hold your breath.

OR, instead of going to the expense and complication factor of hooking the receivers to the internet, just go to the same computer you're using to read this, and surf to a favorite weather site. There's at least one. :cool:

Quote: I didn't realize anyone used dish home for anything.

Reply: I use it for Instant Weather, news, ringtones, the Showtime feature, I wish the 625 offered support for the Karaoke channel, though. I also like to see which movies are on Dish on Demand. I like dish home and i use it a lot.

blabber said:
I like that feature, too! Try looking at Death Valley, CA some time. 128 degrees this week. Ouch. The only people who go there this time of year are crazy foreign tourists on air conditioned coaches. Must be a blast furnace getting off the bus.
But it's a dry heat. Then again, so is an oven...

Back on topic? Who cares?

JohnP :D

If you want local weather, try this website: nws.noaa.gov It is, in my opinion, a better weather site than TWC any day, and will give you weather in motion without all the commercials and meanless chatter on TWC.