Two of my locals were swapped

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
This morning when my TV turned on to wake me up, it was showing the wrong show. It was on my 921 channel (ch. 4) as it was supposed to be, so I grabbed the 921 remote and it was on the right channel number (7427 WKEF-ABC-22), but the content was what should have been on 7425 WKEF-NBC-02. And 7425 was showing what should have been on 7427. Very strange, but perhaps related to this thread. My locals come from Tp15 on 105 (and as I have just now read, it sounds like maybe they were moved to Tp18).

To make sure it wasn't some new wierd bug of the 921, I tuned my 522 to "2" (7245) and "22" (7427) and it showed the same crossover as the 921. Both receivers have the channels' correct respective guide data (i.e. 7425 listed the NBC stuff but was incorrectly showing the ABC programming). At one point, 7245 flashed the E*-generated color bars test pattern with the "WKEF" ID for about 1 second.

Confused yet? Or wondering what the point of this post is? :) I just thought it was neat, since I'm fascinated by the inner workings of systems like this. :D

Usually locals in one area are ordered ABC CBS NBC (FOX) then WB or UPN and then PBS with religious and shopping following. If Dish had realigned your Dayton list this would explain ABC at 7425 and NBC at 7427. Your original order does correspond to <http://www.dishchannelchart.com/> with ABC newly (5/25) added. Just a thought,
-Ken

You forgot about FOX. ;)

But also, the Dayton ABC was not "newly (5/25) added". That 5/25 thing on Dish Channel Chart refers to the Sinclair dispute. All Dayton stations have been on Dish for I think almost 2 years.

My lineup as known to my receivers does match that list, and always has. Just as of this morning the actual content of 7425 and 7427 was swapped. It might still be, but I won't know until I get home tonight.

On a side note, though, and I have to bet there is no correlation here, but... back on August 30, 2004, these same two stations actually did swap network affiliations. 7425 used to be the ABC and 7427 used to be the NBC. That explains the deviation from their standard ordering of locals (which I had never noticed before, thanks for pointing that out). But this morning, it wasn't merely the network affiliation changing back, as I first wondered, because during the commercial breaks, the appropriate local news briefs came on--corresponding to what the stations actually airing on the channels.

Edit: Hmm, after thinking this over and taking into account KKlare's statement about the ordering of locals, maybe this is in fact Dish Network reordering the Dayton locals, 9+ months after the affiliation swap. Perhaps the receivers' lineup will change shortly to reflect that. It wouldn't affect the LIL downmapping to the broadcast channel numbers, so any normal people who actually tune to those instead of 74xx won't be affected. :) I have that turned off for my 921 because I'm using its analog tuner as another feed for those stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts