811 Too Dark with component output

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
I have a relatively new 811 with software rev 2.84. I've noticed that for many programs, the component HD output is very dark with crushed blacks. I seem to remember this was a complaint way back, but thought that it was fixed for the current software revision. What should I be expecting?

horizontal lines with 811 receiver

noremac said:
I have a relatively new 811 with software rev 2.84. I've noticed that for many programs, the component HD output is very dark with crushed blacks. I seem to remember this was a complaint way back, but thought that it was fixed for the current software revision. What should I be expecting?

I haven't noticed the dark picture, however, I was unable to use the components with the 811. I get two faint horizontal lines (green and pink)rolling up/down the picture. I had a replacement 811 sent and it was the same. My voom receiver works great with components (still use it for OTA channels).

I finally got a HDMI/DVI adaptor and this connection works fine, althought the SD channels are not great. I experimented with the s-video connection and the RCA jacks for SD reception and the PQ was noticeably better, but again had the horizontal lines.

The bottom line is the only connection that works on my 811 is the digital (HDMI/DVI) connection.

the reason I asked for tv, was because majority of people will tell you you cant use DVI for their 811, or some tvs font have DVI ports, I hope the OP trys dvi if he can and it works for him, but I would think maybe if that dosent work, look to see if his tv can be adjusted

stuart628 said:
the reason I asked for tv, was because majority of people will tell you you cant use DVI for their 811, or some tvs font have DVI ports, I hope the OP trys dvi if he can and it works for him, but I would think maybe if that dosent work, look to see if his tv can be adjusted

I have a 60" Sony LCD rear projection (with integrated HD receiver) model XXXXXX -655. Is there a way to adjust the tv to make components, s-video and RCA jacks work with the 811?

grb said:
I have a 60" Sony LCD rear projection (with integrated HD receiver) model XXXXXX -655. Is there a way to adjust the tv to make components, s-video and RCA jacks work with the 811?
to tell you the truth, I do not know that tv well. but cant you just plug in the component or s-video?

and when I said adjust his tv I meant he could adjust the brightness levels or such, my tv needed an adjustment when I got cable and it looked fine after that

My set (Sony 34XBR960) allows for individual brightness/contrast/sharpness settings on each input. When using it with the 811 (DVI output), it required a significant change in the brightness/contrast settings compared to factory default. I was able to get the picture very close to HD off-air (set has built-in ATSC tuner). I could not see any difference between DVI and component outputs on my set.

Even with the software patches, the 811 picture is still darker than it should be (before adjusting the TV). Compare to how it looked 18 months ago, my current 811 picture looks great by comparison (the numerous patches fixed a lot of problems over 18 months).

stuart628 said:
to tell you the truth, I do not know that tv well. but cant you just plug in the component or s-video?

and when I said adjust his tv I meant he could adjust the brightness levels or such, my tv needed an adjustment when I got cable and it looked fine after that

Component, RCA and s-video can all be plugged into the TV, but do not provide acceptable PQ from the 811 (rolling horizontal lines). I misunderstood -- I thought you meant I might be able to tune the TV to remove this problem.

Rolling horizontal lines are often indicative of a faulty cable or RF interference. Since you see it with 3 different cables, I'd look at the RF interference possibilities. Do you use a power center to condition and filter your power to your home theatre equipment? I know it made a big difference for my set up.

The 811 had a wonderful color, brightness, and contrast level on DVI when first released in December 2003. About a year ago, the software revision that fixed the s-video darkness problem washed out the DVI PQ. No amount of adjusting the user controls can compensate for the washout. E* has been told about the problem, but no fixes to date and at this late date, I doubt that E* will ever fix it.

I've recently been using component more and more, except for live HDTV broadcasts. It's brightness level seems fine when my Sammy is set on the Standard setting. While PQ is somewhat a personal taste thing, I bought my HDTV to enjoy the bright colors, color depth, and fine detail of HDTV. E* has taken some of that away from me and I'm not happy about it. Later this summer I plan to get a separate OTA STB so I can again enjoy HDTV via my DVI input.

Carl B said:
Rolling horizontal lines are often indicative of a faulty cable or RF interference. Since you see it with 3 different cables, I'd look at the RF interference possibilities. Do you use a power center to condition and filter your power to your home theatre equipment? I know it made a big difference for my set up.

I was able to eliminate the cables and the TV as the problem by testing with my OTA receiver (Voom), so I am satisfied the problem is in the 811.

I am not up to speed on RF interference. Can you explain "the power center to condition and filter power" to my home theater equipment? I have a power strip and a mess of wires for my audio receiver, TV, DVD player, VCR and two HD receivers. Plus, all the sound and video connections. Are you suggesting this may have something to do with the rolling horizontal lines? What should I do to correct this?

Your help is appreciated!

stuart628 said:
first tell us about your setup, what tv are you using?
It's a Sony HS series, with component-only for HD input (no DVI). I had been using a Dish 6000 for many years without any complaints about relative picture darkness on the set's various SD and HD inputs. Now it seems that I have to boost the brightness considerably when using HD input from the 811. Unfortunately, the brightness setting seems to apply to all inputs, so I have to manually adjust each time I switch from HD viewing to SD programming (which looks so much better via S-video).

Certain HD programming tends to be darker than others. Video source material is generally OK, but film based uses lots of dark shadow. Last night's Six Feet Under was really dark on my set with the 811.

noremac said:
It's a Sony HS series, with component-only for HD input (no DVI). I had been using a Dish 6000 for many years without any complaints about relative picture darkness on the set's various SD and HD inputs. Now it seems that I have to boost the brightness considerably when using HD input from the 811. Unfortunately, the brightness setting seems to apply to all inputs, so I have to manually adjust each time I switch from HD viewing to SD programming (which looks so much better via S-video).

Certain HD programming tends to be darker than others. Video source material is generally OK, but film based uses lots of dark shadow. Last night's Six Feet Under was really dark on my set with the 811.
I will agree that sd does look alot better on svideo, thats how i have it set up at my house (right now I have time warner sa8000) this sat. I will be getting my 811, I can tell you if the pic is dark in comparison to that! I have a 46" sony RPTV so I can give you a fair comparison

If you don't get the rolling horizontal lines with your VOOM receiver and you do with the 811, then the 811 is probably defective.

Power centers like the Monster HTS-3600, provide various levels of power filtering for your various HT components. It is an expensive solution, but for digital displays, it can refine your PQ. I'd make sure the 811 is OK before looking into spending the bucks on a power center.

Carl B said:
If you don't get the rolling horizontal lines with your VOOM receiver and you do with the 811, then the 811 is probably defective.

Power centers like the Monster HTS-3600, provide various levels of power filtering for your various HT components. It is an expensive solution, but for digital displays, it can refine your PQ. I'd make sure the 811 is OK before looking into spending the bucks on a power center.

Thanks, Carl.

I tested a replacement 811 from Dish and the rolling horizontal lines appeared the same on both 811's. I eliminated the TV and cables as the problem by testing with the Voom receiver on all the video outlets. So I am thinking it must be a design problem in the 811, but nobody else has complained about it.

I'm not an electrician, but this still sounds almost like a ground loop problem or maybe even a reverse polarization problem. Does the power strip you are currently using have RF filtering capability? Are all your plugs polarized plugs or 3-prong?

I've been following the Dish 811 discussions since December '03 and I've never seen anyone note anything like you describe. If it does it on your replacement 811, I'd start looking at your power supply system, including the wiring to the wall socket you use for your power strip. BTW, when you tested with the VOOM receiver, did you plug it into the exact same outlet as you use for the 811?

Thanks, Carl.

I did check all the available video inputs with both the Voom and 811. The problem does seem like a power/feedback issue. Maybe the 811 is more sensitive to this? The power strip has three prong capability, but some (if not all) of the device plugs have only two prongs. I will experiment with the power source and see if I can get any change in PQ.

Thanks, again!

Actually, I just remembered that last night when I was experimenting with the problem, I took the 811 off ther power strip and plugged it directly into the wall socket and the PQ did not change. Should this not have eliminated any power/feedback/polarization problem?

Buy yourself an AC polarity checker, about $5 at HD or any hardware store. It will tell you if the ground and neutral are at the same voltage. I found in remodeling that 1/2 of my outlets were hot-neutral reversed (yes, a full 50%) and this explained a spark on the cable coax connection to a tranformer-less console Sony TV. You just plug it into the three-prong outlet and two yellow LED/neon light go. If the red light goes you are reversed. Luck,
-Ken

Also, make sure all of your grounding outside your house is all tied to the central ground for your house. If you have an outside antenna (OTA or DBS), sometimes the installers will ground them to a convenient new grounding rod because of distance to the main ground. This will set up a ground loop voltage differential that can cause all kinds of problems with electronics. If you have multiple grounding, you will need to tie them together with a suitable ground wire.