Two Hopper 3 with 10 Joeys

hedgesjd

Original poster
Nov 8, 2023
Ohio
I have installed two Hopper3s with a total of 10 Joeys (5 on each hopper). I utilized a hybrid LNB and Western Arc with hybrid solo hub and 4 port splitters. At first I thought I could utilize the Dish Hybrid Duo Hub 203961 and one DISH. It kept telling me that the 2nd Hopper3 was connected to the wrong port. I had to install a second Dish and utilize two Hybrid Solo Hub 203952, one for each hopper(dish) and two 4 port splitters to get the joeys to work. This worked fine...I'm actually wondering what the DISH Hybrid Duo Hub is for? Could I've utilized a single Hybrid duo hub in place of using two hybrid solo hubs?

Reactions: charlesrshell
You CAN have two Hopper 3's on a single dish, but you have to use a DPP LNB (or 3 DP single LNB's) running into a DPH42 switch; the Hybrid LNB was never made to support more than a single Hopper 3.
Here's a sample diagram on the correct way: (you can put splitters on the client outputs of the hubs for more joey's)

I'm actually wondering what the DISH Hybrid Duo Hub is for? Could I've utilized a single Hybrid duo hub in place of using two hybrid solo hubs?
No, those are for using two Hoppers or HWS's on a single hybrid LNB, which you CAN do, since they only have 3 tuners each.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, I'll bite. Why do you need so many dvrs and joeys? Are you running a hotel? I don't have that much I would record and when I had the Hopper 3 with DISH, I never used all 16 tuners at the same time except to test that it could record 16 things at the same time.

OK, I'll bite. Why do you need so many dvrs and joeys? Are you running a hotel? I don't have that much I would record and when I had the Hopper 3 with DISH, I never used all 16 tuners at the same time except to test that it could record 16 things at the same time.
It's not really about the dvr space or the tuners. He obviously has 12 tvs (so the question of why so many tvs still stands lol), but one hopper3 despite having 16 tuners only supports 6 joeys, so if you have more than 7 tvs you need a second hopper3.