two recivers on 2 isps??

I would recommend against having the two receivers associated with different ISPs.

The Audit Team will happily jump at any excuse to do a comprehensive colonoscopy on you without benefit of anesthesia.

I'm very much with Harshness on this point.. think of it this way.. if you had two phone lines in your house ... and connected one phone line to one box, and the other phone line to the other box.. it would be a short matter of time before the audit team was calling ... and even after they'd verified, they'd possibly call back again in a couple of months..

Its only a matter of time, before the audit team gets serious about seeing multiple ip's in short order as a red flag, add to that, one being from one ISP and the other IP being from another ISP and right then and there, you are telling them they are not connected the same, in the same network, and that raises a red flag.

One ISP, with a changing IP every day (every week, every month, etc) from that ISP is what you would expect ... for a residential customer without a static ip address but other than that, and its cause for checking things out. Now if you DO have the phone lines hooked up, and its the same phone line ... then that red flag may only go up half way ... so long as the receivers continue to phone home, and log the same phone number.

How would they deal with a dual WAN router? Cable modem with dsl backup . With load balancing each packet could be coming from a different isp.
You would have to make sure you route the traffic from the receiver IP addresses through one or the other. Most proper multi-WAN setups support hard routing.

packets wouldn't alternate like that, it would be streams that alternate ... To do proper load balancing, you have to have a common IP address (or block) that is routed by both ISP's. You'd then be making routing decisions on routing metrics, and the routing metrics wouldn't change all that much (and shouldn't for your network and others to be considered "stable")

Now, doing improper load balancing with a multi-homed router (wan modem) would still keep streams with respective paths until one ISP fails, and then you have to hope the application you're running is tolerant of source ip changes. Which I don't believe dish/sling is.

you start streaming from ISP1, you're at your office watching some live TV, ISP1 goes down, ISP2 takes over, Sling Web disconnects because its no longer getting communication from ISP1 but.. wait.. now its seeing ISP2 ... Dish classifies it a Failure ... packet sequence from incorrect source .. User you have Error 36 (I think that's the number ... that 33 or 13 maybe?) the device was connected, but now the connection has been broken (and dish's useless drones would tell you to reboot the dish receiver).

You'd wait for the receiver to reach out again, tell Dish/Sling "hey I'm User PATECO's dish reciver" dish records the new IP confirms the connection, you the User then refresh/reconnect and streaming resumes.

The time for that kind of break in communication minutes to hours ... it all depends on how quickly your receiver re-establishes itself from the new IP (re-establishes by phoning home to papa dish) You're not at home, so you can't go power cycle the dish, and oh, since the path dish knows about doesn't work any more, you can't reboot from on line web pages either.. not until dish has gotten the new ip your receiver is behind..

ya follow? That's why you want your own set of IP Addresses ... and both ISP's routing them.. and then the routing decisions are based on best path by your router's choice ... If you are using your own set of IP's ... then it doesn't matter how your receiver gets to the Dish servers.. because it is the same Source IP... Yours ...

I would keep it on 1 ISP if at all possible.

If you get audited, they are going to give you a hard time over it, the same as they would if you had 2 receivers connected to different phone lines.

Keep in mind these people use google earth to scope out your house, if they can use your IP address to conduct an audit they will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)