U-VERSE DISASTER

paja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Orland Park, IL
Today was supposed to be the install I've been waiting for since I signed up on 3 Sep. Got the e-mail confirmation, card in the mail. Scheduled to arrive between 8-10 am. At 11am I finally called since no one arrived OR bothered to call. After numerous calls all day and promises that someone will get back to me, I just gave up. I finally called the rep who sold me the system. He said he got another call from a person in my area who was supposed to get an install and no one showed. He made some calls and called me back stating that a supervisor will call me first thing in the morning with apologies and to reschedule. He advised me to get all the credits and freebees I can pile on. He said they are anxious not to lose business and that I can load up on the goodies. Well see??

I also had a disaster with Att. The installer, while he made appointment, he made a 4' crack in my cieling.

I had told the guy please stand on beams. He sure did listen, I looked up 20 minutes later and saw this massive crack.

Wife was furious to say the least.

On the upside, Att paid to have it fixed.
They are in their infancy right now with this Uverse service.
They are not up to speed.
They had to come out 6 times to correct the pixelation issues I was having. Plus the internet slowdown.

It all seems to be good now.

However, expect these bumps along the road. They will get better im sure.

Uverse has a ton of potential Its just going to take a while.

I just canceled my UVERSE service yesterday.

It has gotten better, but my wife told me that she can't see me paying over $100 a month for UVERSE when we also have Dish Network and DirecTV as well.

Waiting to see Att unveil a new HD lineup

I just canceled my UVERSE service yesterday.

It has gotten better, but my wife told me that she can't see me paying over $100 a month for UVERSE when we also have Dish Network and DirecTV as well.

Scott we have the same setup. I have dish, direc and Uverse. Im hanging on with Uverse to see what happens with their HD lineup.
Its just taking longer than id like.

The kinks seem to have been worked out. In regards to my setup
( pixelation issues)
Im still of the opinnion they are not yet up to the sat cos. In time though I think they will be.

Jury is still out.

Just order uverse neutron, then cancel the TV portion. I did that with no issues. Eventhough I really liked uverse as a whole, I am just OTA/FTA and other IP based entertainment. Working well and my wallet enjoys the extra grand or so a year I am not spending on TV.

Today is the day and the tech just arrived. I was given a free month , along with the other incentives, discounts I already had been given. The free month was for the missed appointment on 9-29. The tech just started and I'll post later when the job is done and I see the results.

Today is the day and the tech just arrived. I was given a free month , along with the other incentives, discounts I already had been given. The free month was for the missed appointment on 9-29. The tech just started and I'll post later when the job is done and I see the results.

Good luck!

Lets us know how it works out for ya.

Here is the skinny on my installation. The tech arrived on time and the whole job took about 4 hours. He didn't experience any real hangups. A second worker showed up at the end because my outside box had to be upgraded. That took him about 15 minutes.

The picture I got on my televisions is outstanding. The hd is better than Dish( which I just dropped) but not by wide margin. What IS much better than Dish is the sd channels. With Dish they seemed soft and muted but are much sharper with uverse. I got the 400 package which includes just about everything. Uverse has many channels that Dish doesn't carry. I already gave the hddvr a try and it worked fine. Having one dvr and being able to watch on any of my four tv's is beyong incredible. I haven't done a lot of playing around with all the features yet but I'll get around to that later. I got the elite internet and it is very responsive. The phone is the only hangup so far. Last evening I couldn't receive calls. The tech support couldn't fix it and a tech will be here at 10 am Thurs. morn. No big deal since my wife and I rarely use our home phone like most people nowadays . It is cell phones 99 per cent of the time.

In summary, I'm initially very pleased I switched to uverse. I was paying Dish 138 for tv, Comcast 60 for internet , and AT & T 47 for phone. I'm am now paying AT & T 170 for all three now. In addition I'm getting 14 off a month for a year, an additional 20 off for 6 months, one free month of hd, and 10 off for 6 months. Then I'm getting 100 cash back. And no contract or commitment. Not bad. Back in August my 18 month commitment with Dish was up and I wanted an additional hddvr . I already had a 622 but wanted another for my other two tv's. Dish was going to give me one but wanted a two year commitment. I declined and wasn't sure what I was going to do. About three weeks later a uverse rep shows up at my house to inform people in my neighborhood that it was now available and to explain the serivice . I signed up and right now I'm really happy. After a week or two I'll get back after getting to know the system better.:)

One quick question, Paja; how do you control the other boxes on the TV's that do NOT have the DVR attached to them?
Do they give you enough remotes to control them, or do you only get 1 remote for the whole house?
We have 6 tv's on 3 different levels, so only one remote just wouldn't cut it..

thanks for the encouraging words..I hope my install goes as smooth..

One quick question, Paja; how do you control the other boxes on the TV's that do NOT have the DVR attached to them?
Do they give you enough remotes to control them, or do you only get 1 remote for the whole house?
We have 6 tv's on 3 different levels, so only one remote just wouldn't cut it..

thanks for the encouraging words..I hope my install goes as smooth..

The hddvr is in my family room then the other three tv's have separate(smaller in size) boxes. Each has it's own remote control. If I want to watch a show I've recorded in a room that does not have the dvr, I hit the "recorded tv" button on the remote which then displays all the shows on the dvr. Then hit play. Real simple, my wife can even work it and her tech knowledge is just abovbe zero.

I checked into U-verse here at a storefront that sold it and was told it was not available yet to me based on my phone number, then to my surprise I was told differently. When I asked a technician that came out to repair a problem with my internet about it he said he did not see why I could not get it based on his limited understanding of where it was located. Then I received the a sales call for the service and I accepted the offer and thought that it had become available. I checked and double checked if this was legitimate and got verification. I let them come out three days later. I even took off of work that day for the installation. The installer arrived two hours later than expected and he started the process. I was excited as he explained the technology. He left for a while because he had to go to the drop or something like that and then came back and started working again. It was very hot. I asked him how it was going, and he said there was a problem with the signal, but he thought it could be fixed and kept working. Four hours in to his grueling installation process he received a call that the problem he was observing could not be corrected and in fact I was not going to be able to get this service at this time. I am very disappointed that I could not get this service.I really want this service, because it sounds really cool, the prices could be cool, and I might be able to get a channel or two I could not get with antenna, Dish, or Cox Oklahoma and besides I like to test stuff out and I like variety and choice and my internet which is DSL might get faster for less money. I was already aware their HD picture was not going to be MPEG 2, my personal favorite at the moment, there was no support for Tivo, another personal favorite for use with cablecard and MPEG2, and reportedly the picture on the U-VERSE HD Channels is not as good as cable, my personal favorite for all of it's qualities, and you can always use a backup service. I just wanted more choices than I am having right now.
The date the installer came out was August 13, 2008. After I accepted the offer for the complete U-verse package including the phone I realized U-verse telephone is different from my existing AT&T telephone that I now have and I could not change that service because I needed to keep what I have because my Dish Network receivers must be plugged into a land line if they are not hooked up to broadband. The sales lady did not inform me of the fact that the telephone for U-verse was different from what I have and I guess I was stupid for not knowing, I had to put two and two together. Therefore I had to call back that same day that I accepted the offer for U-verse and ask that my order be changed so that I would keep my existing style of AT&T telephone. The sales guy from U-verse that I spoke to on that Friday in order to request that the telephone not be changed insisted it was too late and that indeed my telephone was set to be disconnected. I told him that I had just ordered U-verse that very day and I could not believe he could not change that. Then he said he did not know I had only ordered U-verse a few hours before and claimed everything would be okay and that he could change my order and that my phone that I have now would remain intact. That was a relief until everything else happened. I will also say on Wednesday when the installer showed up he seemed unsure of the status of my with the change but when I told him he said okay he thought was right and that was the way it was going to be done. I tell you all this because in case it might be related to why my telephone was disconnected some time after the U-verse installer left on Wednesday. I picked up my phone to make a call Friday night and had no dial tone. When I called in about 7:30 or 8:00 that evening to see what was going on I was told my phone had been disconnected. They said I would have to call back the next morning because the sales department was closed and I would have reorder telephone service to get it back. When I called the earliest they said they could get my phone back was Tuesday and that was them doing me a favor to get it back on that soon. Does AT&T not like me? I am amazed at how fouled up this thing is. Fortunately I have a cell phone and believe it or not before the telephone line was disconnected I had my home telephone on call forwarding which seems to have remained in effect even though I do not have a dial tone and cannot make any calls. Incidentally the internet still was working over the weekend.

I checked into U-verse here at a storefront that sold it and was told it was not available yet to me based on my phone number, then to my surprise I was told differently. When I asked a technician that came out to repair a problem with my internet about it he said he did not see why I could not get it based on his limited understanding of where it was located. Then I received the a sales call for the service and I accepted the offer and thought that it had become available. I checked and double checked if this was legitimate and got verification. I let them come out three days later. I even took off of work that day for the installation. The installer arrived two hours later than expected and he started the process. I was excited as he explained the technology. He left for a while because he had to go to the drop or something like that and then came back and started working again. It was very hot. I asked him how it was going, and he said there was a problem with the signal, but he thought it could be fixed and kept working. Four hours in to his grueling installation process he received a call that the problem he was observing could not be corrected and in fact I was not going to be able to get this service at this time. I am very disappointed that I could not get this service.I really want this service, because it sounds really cool, the prices could be cool, and I might be able to get a channel or two I could not get with antenna, Dish, or Cox Oklahoma and besides I like to test stuff out and I like variety and choice and my internet which is DSL might get faster for less money. I was already aware their HD picture was not going to be MPEG 2, my personal favorite at the moment, there was no support for Tivo, another personal favorite for use with cablecard and MPEG2, and reportedly the picture on the U-VERSE HD Channels is not as good as cable, my personal favorite for all of it's qualities, and you can always use a backup service. I just wanted more choices than I am having right now.
The date the installer came out was August 13, 2008. After I accepted the offer for the complete U-verse package including the phone I realized U-verse telephone is different from my existing AT&T telephone that I now have and I could not change that service because I needed to keep what I have because my Dish Network receivers must be plugged into a land line if they are not hooked up to broadband. The sales lady did not inform me of the fact that the telephone for U-verse was different from what I have and I guess I was stupid for not knowing, I had to put two and two together. Therefore I had to call back that same day that I accepted the offer for U-verse and ask that my order be changed so that I would keep my existing style of AT&T telephone. The sales guy from U-verse that I spoke to on that Friday in order to request that the telephone not be changed insisted it was too late and that indeed my telephone was set to be disconnected. I told him that I had just ordered U-verse that very day and I could not believe he could not change that. Then he said he did not know I had only ordered U-verse a few hours before and claimed everything would be okay and that he could change my order and that my phone that I have now would remain intact. That was a relief until everything else happened. I will also say on Wednesday when the installer showed up he seemed unsure of the status of my with the change but when I told him he said okay he thought was right and that was the way it was going to be done. I tell you all this because in case it might be related to why my telephone was disconnected some time after the U-verse installer left on Wednesday. I picked up my phone to make a call Friday night and had no dial tone. When I called in about 7:30 or 8:00 that evening to see what was going on I was told my phone had been disconnected. They said I would have to call back the next morning because the sales department was closed and I would have reorder telephone service to get it back. When I called the earliest they said they could get my phone back was Tuesday and that was them doing me a favor to get it back on that soon. Does AT&T not like me? I am amazed at how fouled up this thing is. Fortunately I have a cell phone and believe it or not before the telephone line was disconnected I had my home telephone on call forwarding which seems to have remained in effect even though I do not have a dial tone and cannot make any calls. Incidentally the internet still was working over the weekend.

I tried to read this , but with out punctuation , I gave up . :-(

Wyr

Longest I think and decide, I do have dishnetwork ,The way looks like with disaster installers and people having problem AT& T with U-VERSE , I guessing just wait for while at least till mid summer/09 or so,till they getting better and having more HD channels ,Then change to U-VERSE… a lots B.S & bugs going on with their system and messup installers !

Last edited:
I am thinking about the new uverse service, but have some reservations. Can you tell me how many hd programs can be watched at any one time? I have 4 hd sets and 1 SD set in my house that may be used simultaneously by family members in different rooms. The way I understand the service is that you are limited to 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams. Also, I'm not sure how the 1 dvr system can work. I currently have Comcast in Orland Park IL. with a separate dvr for each set, this allows for a great capacity of recording. I believe that with a single dvr I would be limited to the amount of recording time I could use. Do you know if an additional external hard drivr=e can be used ?

well, as of today, there is no external HD allowed, but they way that ATT is implementing upgrades and changes almost weekly, that could change soon..
I THINK you are correct in that 4 total streams can be going at once, but, here again, as they keep upgrading the featrures, you should call them to see what Ithe current number in Orland Park is..Paja, who posts in this thread alot also is in Orland Park, and he might know the actual number..
You can record up to 4 programs at same time with their DVR ; if that isn't enough, I am not sure what can be done. They will hook up to 8 TV's in your house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)