U-verse in MDUs (Multi-Dwelling Units) buildings

the1500hoa

Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Wilmette, IL
We are a 110-unit condo building in an area (NE Wilmette, IL) where U-verse is coming soon. We need to replace our 40-year-old coax that began as a master antenna system and is now used by Comcast to deliver (limited) cable TV services. Re-wiring the building for Cat-6 + new coax to each unit is a nightmare proposition, due to the way our building is designed. U-verse is appealing because it would eliminate the need to re-wire IF (major IF) it can perform well on our equally old telephone lines.

We have a meeting, next week, with AT&T and we are know-nothings when it comes to technical issues. We would like to prepare for the meeting by asking for advice regarding a few questions:

1, Since we represent 110 "homes", should we ask AT&T to locate their VRAD (correct term?) in our Telephone Equipment Room to get the fiber as close to our homeowners as possible?

2. Does anyone have experience with a building of our size and the installation issues we will face -- 6-hour installs per unit (or TV?), the need to run wires, customer-service issues?

3. There are ~50 homeowners who have AT&T-Yahoo DSL service (we cannot use cable modems because of our wiring). How difficult will it be for them to change back to DSL if they are unhappy with their U-verse connection? What is the likelihood that they will be unhappy?

4. What other issues should we address before making a decision? What other concessions should we request, given our marketing clout as a 110-customer group and our willingness to be a good reference?

Thanks for your advice.

We are a 110-unit condo building in an area (NE Wilmette, IL) where U-verse is coming soon. We need to replace our 40-year-old coax that began as a master antenna system and is now used by Comcast to deliver (limited) cable TV services. Re-wiring the building for Cat-6 + new coax to each unit is a nightmare proposition, due to the way our building is designed. U-verse is appealing because it would eliminate the need to re-wire IF (major IF) it can perform well on our equally old telephone lines.

We have a meeting, next week, with AT&T and we are know-nothings when it comes to technical issues. We would like to prepare for the meeting by asking for advice regarding a few questions:

1, Since we represent 110 "homes", should we ask AT&T to locate their VRAD (correct term?) in our Telephone Equipment Room to get the fiber as close to our homeowners as possible?

2. Does anyone have experience with a building of our size and the installation issues we will face -- 6-hour installs per unit (or TV?), the need to run wires, customer-service issues?

3. There are ~50 homeowners who have AT&T-Yahoo DSL service (we cannot use cable modems because of our wiring). How difficult will it be for them to change back to DSL if they are unhappy with their U-verse connection? What is the likelihood that they will be unhappy?

4. What other issues should we address before making a decision? What other concessions should we request, given our marketing clout as a 110-customer group and our willingness to be a good reference?

Thanks for your advice.

1:Well I don't think at&t will put a VRAD in your building it needs to be put at your local cross box and be feed by power from your local power company. If they do install it in your building I would be very surprised. Also alot will depend on your buildings wiring quality. If you have dsl now I don't see a problem with uverse but you never know.

2: The best way is to have Cat 5/6 run from the dmark in your building to each unit. Does your building have a dmark in each apartment? A dmark is where at&t drops the line to the customer and from there it is your responsibility. Customer service issues would probably be handled on a customer by customer basis since I assume all tenants may not want the service.

3: How are we supose to know how satisfied the customer will be? If they do not like the uverse service they can easily get back there DSL. But since you are currently using comcast I am sure you will love the uverse service.

4: I would ask for a walk thru with uverse techs to see what your old wiring is like and see if it is going to be to much of a nightmare to do or even a plausible endeavor. Concessions good luck with that one you need to remember that at&t is a huge company and personally I don't think they will give any concessions/discount but you never know.

Good luck!! let us know what happens. And welcome to satelliteguys.us!!!

Wouldn't they just use the existing copper twisted pair that's in the building to get from the VRAD to each unit owner and then install the STB(s) just like a single family home?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)