U332 brings new HDCP messages

snissen

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2006
southern MN
Since the U332 upgrade, my external hard drive is working better, but there's a new annoyance. About once or twice a day now, when I try to watch a program recorded from a cable channel in the last few days, the program fails to start, displaying a message about how my setup is not HDCP compliant. That's not true, and if I reboot the Hopper 3, the problem disappears and I can watch the program.

It happened on NatGeo, USA, EPIX, and others. It even happened once, I think, when I tried to watch one of these channels live. Yes, I can workaround it by rebooting, but that takes time and an awkward stretch around my equipment.

Is this a known problem, for which there will be a fix? Is anyone else seeing this, or is unique to my DVR?

I should describe my setup, which is pretty simple: the Hopper 3 DVR connects to a new (1/1/16) Sony XBR-49X830C flatscreen with an HDMI 2.1 cable (supporting HDCP 2.2) to HDMI input #1 on the TV. The Hopper 3 also connects to a Sony DAV-X1 home theater system using the digital optical cable. I subscribe to AT250, plus the HD channels, but no premium channels.

I never saw this HDCP message before the U332 upgrade.

Since update U332 I am also seeing HDCP messages, and I'm also getting what I'll call the "pink screen of death" often when I enter or exit Netflix using the H3 box. Not sure if these errors are related.

Both are infuriating because I have to reboot the box in order to fix them. The error 890 showed up when I was trying to watch a DVR recording. I couldn't get rid of the error until I rebooted the box.

The pink screen shows up randomly, usually after someone has gone into and out of Netflix a few times on the H3.

Would really like a software update to solve both of these. I have a H3 and 4 Joey 2.0, LG OLED TV, AT200 programming.

IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG

Yeah, I got that 'pink screen of death' when going to Netflix on the H3 too. Add that you can't get DD5.1 from Netflix either and I just said to hell with it. Now I use Netflix on my FireTV. Great video, DD+ support too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There always been that problem on and off with NBC channels, such as USA, SyFy, etc on all machines. I seem to remember, if not incorrectly, that Nat Geo and possibly EPIX are NBC related?

Instead of rebooting, try unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable. A lot quicker if it works.

Or, turn the TV off and back on. Again, much quicker than waiting the (what seems like) 5 minutes for the Hopper to restart.

Last edited:
You guys are starting to really scare me about my H3 install which is now tomorrow morning.

So does Netflix work or not?
On the Joeys too?

U332 doesn't appear to be going to everyone just yet (mine doesn't have it unless it got it overnight). Hopefully not too. This is why phased roll-outs are a good idea.

FYI, Yes, the pink screen is related to HDMI handshaking. When the screen is pink, it is usually caused by the receiver set to the wrong color space, RGB vs YCbCr. The color space should be negotiated during the HDMI handshaking process, but it can fail, just like the HDMI copy protection which can also fail.

I posted early this morning about the pink screen on the H3. I just tried Netflix on the H3 again, and it asked me to log in with the userid and password, which surprised me. I was logged in 12 hours ago when I was having trouble. I tried Netflix a few times and it's working right now.

We haven't had any problems using Netflix on the Joey 2.0, other than occasionally needing to re-login. On the Joey 2.0 it's slower than on the H3, but no pink screens on the Joey.

I'm wondering if Dish is making changes "in the background" that is requiring reentry of passords, etc. Hopefully this is being fixed.

Instead of rebooting, try unplugging and reconnecting the HDMI cable. A lot quicker if it works.

Or, turn the TV off and back on. Again, much quicker than waiting the (what seems like) 5 minutes for the Hopper to restart.

HDMI cable disconnect/connect: changes nothing
TV power off/on: changes nothing
Hopper DVR power off/on: recording plays correctly

I'm having the same problem and I know it was one of the updates. My box and TV worked together perfectly until this week. Now I have to restart the Hopper every day or I can't watch a large number of channels. I can switch to all of the channels on a Joey and Samsung TV but not on my Hopper and Sony TV without a restart. I sure hope they fix this issue soon.

U332 doesn't appear to be going to everyone just yet (mine doesn't have it unless it got it overnight). Hopefully not too. This is why phased roll-outs are a good idea.

With all the problems floating around here, I'd be shocked if U332 was still spooling out to anyone that didn't get it in that first batch! ;)

Reactions: bspei
With all the problems floating around here, I'd be shocked if U332 was still spooling out to anyone that didn't get it in that first batch! ;)
Most of us aren't having issues with it. The 'pink screen of death' isn't a new issue nor is the small picture coming up on occasion. The PSD is a HDMI handshaking issue, to when HDMI designers and mfgs get their collective butts in gear they may get it fixed.

Has anyone with this tried a new HDMI Cable? Maybe the cheap cable Dish provides with the Hopper isn't passing enough information for HDCP handshaking to succeed?

As DirtyDan said:

1. Turn on your Receiver if you are using one.
2. Turn on your TV
3. Turn on the H3

I also got a different HDMI cable than the one Dish offered, and no problems here now. I didn't have to spend a lot of money on the cable either as I got it from MonoPrice and made sure it was a quality cable.