Ughh... a dead PC

Quick install open office!

Oh, she would be pissed. :)

I went to Media Services at the college, and was able to borrow a copy of Office 2003. I did end up going out to buy Publisher 2007, but that was cheap, compared with what I would have been facing. :)

I also realized that my "comprehensive backup" I did for her a few weeks before the crash, did not include her Quicken data file. Doh! I'm going to take grief for that one, for sure. Oh well, she has a machine that is clean, running very zippy, and has pretty much everything she needs on it. And I "de-Vistafied" it as much as I could; the biggest thing was restoring the "classic" start menu. :D

Oh, she would be pissed. :)

I went to Media Services at the college, and was able to borrow a copy of Office 2003. I did end up going out to buy Publisher 2007, but that was cheap, compared with what I would have been facing. :)
Pissed, huh? At least you aren't springing Office 2007 on her. My wife was upgraded at her work a few months ago and she continues to fill me in on how Office 2K7's "ribbon" does not help her with what she needs to do. Going from pre-2007 to 2007 is a pretty steep learning curve.

Pissed, huh? At least you aren't springing Office 2007 on her. My wife was upgraded at her work a few months ago and she continues to fill me in on how Office 2K7's "ribbon" does not help her with what she needs to do. Going from pre-2007 to 2007 is a pretty steep learning curve.

Oh, she would have done better with OpenOffice than Office 2007.

The only reason I bought her Publisher 2007 was because it DOES NOT use the ribbon. :D

Even though this new computer was reasonably priced, it continue to keep costing me more money. My wife hates the new keyboard, and wanted to use her old Microsoft Natural Keyboard. of course, that was a PS2 keyboard; and the Dell only uses USB keyboards. So I buy a PS2-USB adapter, but Vista refuses to see it. So, off to the store tomorow to buy her a new keyboard. :)

"Ask not what Vista can do for you, but what you have to buy for Vista!"

Bought the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboard; box says certified for Vista.

Go to install the software that came with it; incompatible with Vista. Install an update from Microsoft. Works. Geez, these people can't even get their own hardware to work with their own software. :rolleyes:

Also installed another 1GB stick of ram; but I think I need to return it; the label says 1GB, but Vista says I only went from 3.06 to 3.5GB of ram. Doesn't sound like a gig to me. Checked the video card, and while it can have 512MB of ram, it is only using 64MB of ram.

Checked the video card, and while it can have 512MB of ram, it is only using 64MB of ram.
I've only seen Motherboard Video steal RAM from the system, not a video card. Hmmm. I would think that a new BIOS would allow 4GB to be seen by Windows. I don't think Vista has a 3.5 GB limit (I believe it's 4GB for the Home editions).

Diogen, thanks for posting that. That was a good article (and history lesson!)

Upon second thought, I pulled the chip out, and will return it. Today she was complaining that Outlook kept crashing; leads me to believe the system didn't like the additional ram. I'll just return it.

3GB will be plenty for her. Its been stable as can be with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts