UHF PRO Remote to Control TV1?

bas_java

Original poster
May 31, 2004
I would like to connect my DVR-522 to my computer to capture recorded video to free some time on my DVR and since the only S-Video Output is for TV1 I wanted to use the UHF Pro Remote to control the receiver which is in a separate room from the computer, and I was wandering if there was any way possible to do this. Thanks..

You can buy another UHF Pro remote that will work to control TV1. It's a standard Dish part referenced in an E* TIB. Sorry, I don't remember the part number right now. It's been posted on this site before, however.

Sure would like to know where to buy a UHF Remote for TV1 for the 522. Can't believe that there are a dozen auctions on eBay for UHF remotes for TV2... but never a remote that works for TV1. Nor do any of the on-line retailers seem to offer this. Nor is it listed on DISH's web site. Everybody says get one, but nobody says where to get it. :confused:

- Scott

If I am not mistaken you do not even have to buy the whole remote, just the bottom portion that transmits the UHF signal.

Another possibility is the BlueDo RR-X200, which is quite a clever gizmo (but I'm unsure of the product status or orderability - see the above web page). A clone or identical item can be found here.

The way it works is that you remove one of the AA batteries from your existing remote and replace it with a special transmitter, which is a partial-size battery/transmitter combo. The circuitry senses the current flow when you press the function buttons on your IR remote and it sends a signal via RF to its receiver, which then does an IR blast to your piece of equipment. Any remote (that uses AA batteries) can thus become an RF remote.

That's great news sneader. I want to get a 322 and 2/522's and wasn't looking forward to having to set up an IR system just for the tv's hooked up to the TV1 output.
As a matter of fact, I was ranting when these units were introduced without that feature. It made no sense not to have UHF control on both outputs for situations where they would be remotely located. I mean, that's why they introduced UHF remotes to begin with.

You don't actually need a kit or any special part to control TV 1 with a UHF remote. You can use the "TV2" UHF remotes that are available on eBay and everywhere else. You can even use the TV2 remote that came with your 522. It will work great. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that the UHF remote that will be controlling TV1 will say "TV2" on the bottom (you know, the little blue part). As long as you don't mind the remote saying TV2, go ahead and order one from eBay or anywhere else you like. Then follow this procedure:

NOTE: This will also work with the 322 model. The same basic procedure, except that a couple of menu numbers are different on the 322 from the following instructions. You should still be able to figure it out though.

NOTE: When purchasing a remote from eBay, be certain to get a "UHF Pro" remote. The older Dish UHF remotes (model #501, 508, 510, etc.) will NOT work. Make sure you get a "UHF Pro" remote exactly like the TV2 one that comes with the 522 (or 322 if that applies to you). Don't get scammed!

NOTE: Steps 1 through 7 to be completed with your current TV1 (IR/Infrared) remote.

Go to the room where the 522 is, turn on the TV and TV1 tuner and, using your current TV1 (IR) remote, enter the following in order:

1. "Menu"​
2. "System Setup" (#6)​
3. "Installation" (#1)​
4. "TV1 UHF Pro Setup" (#6)​
5. Now go to the left side of the screen, highlight "Enable," and hit "Select" on your remote.​
6. Now go back to the right ("System Info" should be highlighted) and hit "Select" on your remote.​

You should now be looking at the "System Info" screen.

7. Press the "Up" button on your remote twice until the box next to "Primary Remote Address" is highlighted in yellow.​

Now, grab your "TV2" UHF (blue bottom) remote and follow this procedure:

NOTE: All steps from here on will use the TV2 (UHF) remote.

1. Hold down the "Sat" button (upper left corner of the remote) for a few seconds until all four of the top buttons light up. When they all light up, release the "Sat" button.​

The Sat button should now be flashing.

2. Enter a number on the keypad of the remote. In can be any number between 1 and 16 but it MUST be different than the number that's in the lower box (next to "Secondary Remote Address"). If you do try to enter the same number, you will be prompted that it isn't allowed. (NOTE: If you also have a 322 in your home, please see my message below for 322 owners.)​
3. After entering your number, press the pound/search key "#" (lower right corner). Wait a second. The "Sat" button (upper left corner) should flash three times.​
4. After the Sat button has finished flashing, press the "Record" button on the remote (near the middle, under the "Pause" button). The yellow box should now display the number you entered in step #2.​
5. Press the "Down" button on the remote two times until "Done" is highlighted.​
6. Press "Select" on the remote.​

You are now controlling TV1 of your 522 with a UHF remote. Enjoy!

For those that also have a 322 in their home, before entering a number 1 through 16 (from step #2, above) please go to the "System Info" screen on your 322 and note the "Secondary Remote Address" number. Make sure that when you pick a number in step #2 that it is different than the "Secondary Remote Address" from your 322. You do NOT want two different TVs in your home to be using UHF remotes with the same address (1 through 16 number). You have to make sure to check the system info screens and confirm that all remotes operating on UHF are set with different addresses. You can even have all four TVs (two from a 522 and two from a 322) operating with UHF remotes, but in that scenario each remote would have to be assigned a different address number.

You don't actually need a kit or any special part to control TV 1 with a UHF remote. You can use the "TV2" UHF remotes that are available on eBay and everywhere else. You can even use the TV2 remote that came with your 522. It will work great. The only problem (if you want to call it that) is that the UHF remote that will be controlling TV1 will say "TV2" on the bottom (you know, the little blue part). As long as you don't mind the remote saying TV2, go ahead and order one from eBay or anywhere else you like. Then follow this procedure:

NOTE: This will also work with the 322 model. The same basic procedure, except that a couple of menu numbers are different on the 322 from the following instructions. You should still be able to figure it out though.

NOTE: When purchasing a remote from eBay, be certain to get a "UHF Pro" remote. The older Dish UHF remotes (model #501, 508, 510, etc.) will NOT work. Make sure you get a "UHF Pro" remote exactly like the TV2 one that comes with the 522 (or 322 if that applies to you). Don't get scammed!

NOTE: Steps 1 through 7 to be completed with your current TV1 (IR/Infrared) remote.

Go to the room where the 522 is, turn on the TV and TV1 tuner and, using your current TV1 (IR) remote, enter the following in order:

1. "Menu"​
2. "System Setup" (#6)​
3. "Installation" (#1)​
4. "TV1 UHF Pro Setup" (#6)​
5. Now go to the left side of the screen, highlight "Enable," and hit "Select" on your remote.​
6. Now go back to the right ("System Info" should be highlighted) and hit "Select" on your remote.​

You should now be looking at the "System Info" screen.

7. Press the "Up" button on your remote twice until the box next to "Primary Remote Address" is highlighted in yellow.​

Now, grab your "TV2" UHF (blue bottom) remote and follow this procedure:

NOTE: All steps from here on will use the TV2 (UHF) remote.

1. Hold down the "Sat" button (upper left corner of the remote) for a few seconds until all four of the top buttons light up. When they all light up, release the "Sat" button.​

The Sat button should now be flashing.

2. Enter a number on the keypad of the remote. In can be any number between 1 and 16 but it MUST be different than the number that's in the lower box (next to "Secondary Remote Address"). If you do try to enter the same number, you will be prompted that it isn't allowed. (NOTE: If you also have a 322 in your home, please see my message below for 322 owners.)​
3. After entering your number, press the pound/search key "#" (lower right corner). Wait a second. The "Sat" button (upper left corner) should flash three times.​
4. After the Sat button has finished flashing, press the "Record" button on the remote (near the middle, under the "Pause" button). The yellow box should now display the number you entered in step #2.​
5. Press the "Down" button on the remote two times until "Done" is highlighted.​
6. Press "Select" on the remote.​

You are now controlling TV1 of your 522 with a UHF remote. Enjoy!

For those that also have a 322 in their home, before entering a number 1 through 16 (from step #2, above) please go to the "System Info" screen on your 322 and note the "Secondary Remote Address" number. Make sure that when you pick a number in step #2 that it is different than the "Secondary Remote Address" from your 322. You do NOT want two different TVs in your home to be using UHF remotes with the same address (1 through 16 number). You have to make sure to check the system info screens and confirm that all remotes operating on UHF are set with different addresses. You can even have all four TVs (two from a 522 and two from a 322) operating with UHF remotes, but in that scenario each remote would have to be assigned a different address number.

Thank You, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, ChrisCoop!

Finally an answer. It seems that the kit is nothing more than a replacement tab for the remote which is labeled "1 UHF". I was about to go out and buy a few Powermids for the tv's I have hooked up to the TV1 outputs. I didn't think it made much sense for Dish to not allow you to use UHF on both internal receivers. I already placed bids on a few on ebay.

One more time:
Thank you!!!!!

Anybody ever look at what the difference is between the tabs? I would, but don't have x22. Seems to me there's probably a little plastic 'step' on one nd not the other, and either adding or removing it will make the TV1 remote use it's UHF. Just speculating here, but it could be tested by swapping TV1 & TV2 tabs - might have to set remote addresses.

The tab on the TV1 remote is not removable. At least not without a hammer and screwdriver. :)

Actually, they are. At least according to E* TIB130316 which is the document that announces the UHF Pro conversion kits for x22 remotes. The kits appear to be nothing more than a replacement keytab for the existing remote.

Attachments

• 03_23_04.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 332
Simon,
Re-read the thread again. I know that the kit is just a replacement tab, for the TV2 remote. Sneader posted that kit link earlier. It just says "TV1 UHF" on the replacement tab. But in your last post, you were speculating that the TV1 remote is actually also capable of sending UHF signals by replacing the tab. The tab on the TV1 remote is not removable ( as the one on TV2 is removable).

SimpleSimon said:
Anybody ever look at what the difference is between the tabs? I would, but don't have x22. Seems to me there's probably a little plastic 'step' on one nd not the other, and either adding or removing it will make the TV1 remote use it's UHF. Just speculating here, but it could be tested by swapping TV1 & TV2 tabs - might have to set remote addresses.

I believe that the TV1 remote is IR only, and TV2 remote is IR/UHF. If you buy another TV2 remote, and use it to control TV1 using it's UHF as per ChrisCoop's instructions, the kit referred to is only a re-labeled tab so that the user doesn't get confused as to which tuner it controls.

That was tiring. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts