UHF Remote Controls

scorer1

Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I recently purchased an IR-to-UHF upgrade kit to run the 311 in our motorhome. We have an outside television and it was a pain to run back in every time to change the channel! It came with a UHF Pro 8.1 remote. I would like to purchase another remote so I can have one in and one out. Does anyone know if you have to have the 8.1 remote or will other UHF Pro remotes work with it?

Jeanne

I called Dish Network and the UHF 4.0 remote (which I can buy on eBay for $1.99) works with the upgrade. The 8.1 remote is about $40.00.

I never seem to get the answers I need on this forum! I get 100 people reading my posts but I either get no answers or the wrong answers.

I think DISH Network is wrong.

I thought the same thing also a few months ago when I was upgrading a 211 to UHF.

I had the kit, but tried to use the UHF PRO remote from the customers ole 811 so I could keep the new remote that came with the kit. I finally had to use the remote that came with the kit!

This was actually confirmed to me by one of the engineers at team summit

scorer1 said:
I called Dish Network and the UHF 4.0 remote (which I can buy on eBay for $1.99) works with the upgrade. The 8.1 remote is about $40.00.

I never seem to get the answers I need on this forum! I get 100 people reading my posts but I either get no answers or the wrong answers.

Ok listen clearly now:

First this site is not an official site offering official support for any satellite, cable, antenna, or tel-co service provider out there, what you will find here are people with varying degree's of knowledge and expertise in one or more of these fields from dont-know-sh*t-but-want-to-know to I-wrote-the-book. What this means is not every answer your going to get will be right, many answers will be ones not supported by any of the providers but do work, and some answers are supported by the providers and are wrong.

If you want the standard company answer then call them up and get it from them, I can tell you from first hand experience as an ex employee that you will get the wrong answer from them on a grander scale than you will here and thats a bonified fact. If 100 people read your post and dont reply its because either they dont know the answer, or cant understand your question based on the way you worded it and the people that know are not on when you post the question, after all we all do have a life and dont have the time to sit outside of our rv watching tv.

Dish is wrong in what they told you, the IR/UHF upgrade kit needs an 8.1 remote its that specific but dont waste your money, just expend 5 extra calories and pick up the remote from outside and take it inside, the exercise will do you good and will improve your outlook on your fellow man.

I will post when the new remotes come in and I try them. The ad on ebay says that that particular remote works with the upgrade equipment (of course you can't believe which people say on ebay which is why I called Dish.) The woman I talked to said that she had not heard of any that worked with the upgrade but went to ask the engineers and they said that that particular remote does work (4.0 pro IR/UHF remote).

We'll see. If it doesn't, I'm only out $1.99 plus shipping!

JK

ooooooooooo, looks like I ruffled some feathers!

After you've lived a good life, retire and buy an rv and are outside RELAXING, the last thing you want to do is jump up and go inside to change the channel everytime you switch between golf, racing and the Red Sox. Maybe some day you'll understand.

Guess you and Van were posting same time so you didn't see his remarks till later.

Please let us all know if it works or not. (One day I might buy another RV, but I want to make sure I have a remote first. Ha, ha)

My first receiver was a 2000 deluxe, which came with a UHF remote. It worked great. I've been from one end to the other of Dish Network web pages before getting my current receiver (622), and I do remember reading about "IR - UHF Upgrade" and "UHF Pro" remotes and something about not being compatible. But I didn't see the need to test it and store it in my brain, so I can not comment any further on that.

Happy RVing.

Last edited:
What I ment and seems to have been missed is that if you already have the upgrade kit then you have the remote and the process of raising your arm up 4 inches and swinging it over 10 inches and then lowering it 6 inches to grab the remote using all 4 fingers and 1 thumb takes no more than 5 calories at most, I doubt that someone that is retired and lounging outside of his rv could muster the energy to jump up and at the least could suffer a heart atack from the thought of the strain. :D

When I'm done lounging outside of the RV, I want to also have another remote in my bedroom (that is if I can muster up enough energy to walk there without having a heart attack) and of course, it would be way too much work for me to carry the same remote with me so I really need another one in that room. And, of course another in the living room. Therefore, the questions about getting an additional remote.

I will let you all know when I get the new one (except for Van who really doesn't care - he already knows he's right.)

JK

Doesn't the 8.1 UHF PRO remote have an extended range than what the other UHF PRO remotes do? I know that the standard UHF PRO remotes have 200 foot range. Also doesnt the 8.1 remote allow you to do functionality at two receivers (the second receiver in AUX mode)?

8.1 is supposed to extend the range up to 200 ft and the added functions yes, as to wether it really does thats a whole nother story.

It is a very nice remote and has functionality for 2 receivers and DVR. However, I'm using it with a 311 which has pretty much one function! AND because it's a motorhome, the receiver is tucked away in a closet above the coach so there is one line of IR - straight in front of it with the door open which is why I purchased the UHF upgrade. The reason I am looking for another remote is just so that we can have one outside also (and be lazy!). I can't wait for that thing to come now since half the people I've talked to said it won't work and the othe half say it will!!

Thanks for all your comments.
JK

Just a side note, how hot does the inside of the cabinet get that the receiver is in? If it feels like it gets really hot then you should leave it cracked open to vent the heat, the dish receivers dont like heat very much and tend to take a crap pretty quickly when overheated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)