UHF remote repeats buttons randomly when used in bedroom

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
I have a 922 receiver in the living room. The bedroom TV is connected via the modulator output.

Sometimes when I am in the bedroom I will push a button on the remote ONCE and it will register as 5 or more times on the receiver. So if I am in the guide and push "page down", randomly it will register as if I had pushed it many times.

The UHF antenna is attached to the receiver properly. I'm about 20-25 feet away from the receiver when I am in the bedroom and it only has to pass through two walls.

Take apart the remote and clean the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is all brand new stuff. Factory brand new 922, brand new remotes with new batteries. It's not dirty.

Possibly defective. Let's see what ideas others come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You just recently got a 922? Why that and not the Hopper?

Why not just answer his question! Is it any of your business what system he wishes to use? If it is then I will tell you why I use a 922 system instead of the Hopper, simple COSTS! It would cost me another 13 per month on my bill for me and my small bedroom set looks fine in SD for the needs I use it.

You just recently got a 922? Why that and not the Hopper?

Why not just answer his question! Is it any of your business what system he wishes to use? If it is then I will tell you why I use a 922 system instead of the Hopper, simple COSTS! It would cost me another 13 per month on my bill for me and my small bedroom set looks fine in SD for the needs I use it.

Basically what he said. I think the Hopper is great if you have a big family or something but not if you just live alone.

Also the Hopper uses the same remotes as the 922 so I guess if anyone with the Hopper has had the same problem then they might know what fixed it.

Last edited:
I had to unplug my UHF transmitter last week. Someone new moved into the RV Park with a remote which operated my receiver. I've also had it happen during high electrical weather in the area. But, your problem sounds like a malfunctioning remote.

You could try changing the remote address, nothing to lose by trying.

Ok how about relocating the uhf antenna to the tv2 location. That would rule out interference.

Basically what he said. I think the Hopper is great if you have a big family or something but not if you just live alone.

Also the Hopper uses the same remotes as the 922 so I guess if anyone with the Hopper has had the same problem then they might know what fixed it.

Not exactly, but close. They work the same, but for the record, the 922 remotes are 32.0 remotes, and the Hopper/Joey remotes are 40.0 remotes.

I'd try to readdress the remote, so it changes to another remote address, see if that makes any difference. I've heard of this happening with a 922, but I can't remember what the fix is, if there is one. Been quite a while since I've dealt with a 922 remote.

I have figured out that I am probably completely screwed.

I looked up the remote's FCC ID on the FCC's website. It says that the remote operates in a frequency of 2.425 GHz to 2.475 GHz. This is right in the middle of the 2.4 GHz ISM band which is used for most WiF networks.

In a dense apartment building like mine this band is extremely polluted with WiFi networks. I also live next to (line of sight) another apartment building AND a 6 story office building. It is so bad that I had to buy a special router with 5 GHz Wireless N support, and I set up my laptop to only connect to my personal Wireless-N/5 GHz network, just to have my own network. In my living room I can see up to 25 WiFi networks, mostly apartments, in my bedroom I can see 20 or more which includes the office building.

Even now, 5 GHz band is being destroyed here because of AT&T U-verse "Wireless Receivers". I am the only one who chose DISH, everyone else chose U-verse, after Comcast was disconnected.

All of the severe pollution on 2.4 GHz band is screwing up the remote, I doubt there is any recourse. They should have used 900 MHz band, almost no one uses that anymore except for old cordless phones.

No need to be rude. I'll tell you why he probably asked. The 922 has a very troubled past and advice here is probably skip that receiver. Had he said he got a 211 722 or 612 the question would not have been asked. I'll ask the question, why a 922 instead of a 722 for the same reason.

The 922 had a troubled past due to shoddy software, ive had mine for two years and have not had a single problem with it. Have been happy with it and will keep it till it dies.

sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Nice attitude mate..

I have seen the problem on both #1 and #2 remotes, it is not a hardware problem with the remote.

It is probably because of too many WiFi Networks interfering with the "UHF 2G" remotes that operate on 2.4 GHz and there is probably no solution :(

if you unscrew the uhf ant, and run a coax wire from that point, and add a male F connector and put back the uhf ant. as close as possible to the TV where you're having issues, and then remove the uhf ant off the tv and do the same thing, so both are closer, you will fix your issues, have done that trick where metal was in floor tiles grounding out the signal, some work, but even if yur 5 feet closer it helps a lot, try to keep the coax off the floor too, best of luck

Gary Diamond

burned out on satellite since 1982

This receiver has some kind of weird plug for the UHF antenna though, it is a coarser thread than a standard F connector. I can't get a regular coax cable to screw on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts