UHF remote signal + TV2 Backfeed Signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Is there any way to send the UHF remote signal along the same cable as the backfeed for TV2? I tried using a pair of standard satellite/antenna diplexor. No luck. If there IS a way, it would be SOOO useful to me in dual tuner installs. I get about 2 trouble calls a month simply because the UHF remote is getting interferance because of some speakers, electronic equipment, or MAGICAL LEAD WALLS. If I could slap the UHF remote antenna right next to the TV it's operating, all my TCs would dissapear. :yes To fix those problems right now, I'm running a second cable for the UHF remote antenna so it's closer to the TV it's controlling.

Don't think so but you could use the IR remote and send it down the coax using a IR target (at the remote location) and an emitter at the receiver. Then use the UHF remote at the receiver location TV (was tv1). You may have to modulate the TV1 signal to send it to the remote TV.

Here's a cheap fix, take a section of coax say 12 foot long, atach it to the uhf antenna port, at the other end atach a coax barrel connection and place the antenna on it, now route the jumper up and around or more towards your remote tv, this has worked for me in the past when the house has been constructed of cynderblock walls even inside and in homes where there was alot of electrical and metal interferance. You can also try taking a 12 inch length of coax and strip off about 8 inchs to expose the center conductor first. This increases the reception, you can add more length and more exposed length if you want, taylor it to your residence.

Van said:
Here's a cheap fix, take a section of coax say 12 foot long, atach it to the uhf antenna port, at the other end atach a coax barrel connection and place the antenna on it, now route the jumper up and around or more towards your remote tv, this has worked for me in the past when the house has been constructed of cynderblock walls even inside and in homes where there was alot of electrical and metal interferance. You can also try taking a 12 inch length of coax and strip off about 8 inchs to expose the center conductor first. This increases the reception, you can add more length and more exposed length if you want, taylor it to your residence.

Word.

That is PRECISELY what I'm doing now to fix the problem. Works great, but I don't want to do it on EVERY install. Often UHF problems only show themselves after the customer moves in all their fancy electronic gear.

ZandarKoad said:
Is there any way to send the UHF remote signal along the same cable as the backfeed for TV2? I tried using a pair of standard satellite/antenna diplexor. No luck. If there IS a way, it would be SOOO useful to me in dual tuner installs. I get about 2 trouble calls a month simply because the UHF remote is getting interferance because of some speakers, electronic equipment, or MAGICAL LEAD WALLS. If I could slap the UHF remote antenna right next to the TV it's operating, all my TCs would dissapear. :yes To fix those problems right now, I'm running a second cable for the UHF remote antenna so it's closer to the TV it's controlling.

Here's another idea. Instead of using a diplexer, use a two-way spitter; but use it backwards. Feed the uhf-antenna and TV2 signal into the outputs of the splitter...then when you have your one feed in the TV2 room, separate the two signals with another 2-way splitter. One leg feeding TV2, the other with a 12 inch long jumper with the UHF antenna attached.

There are two other ways to do it as well. Run dual cable to tv2 location, use one leg of the dual for the picture, the other leg plugs into the remote antenna port of the receiver and the antenna gets barrel connected to the other end next to tv2.

I know sometimes thats a pain in the butt so you can also do it using 2 splitters and one piece of coax. make 2 jumpers, one from tv2 out and one from the remote antenna port, both go into the "out" ports of a 2-way splitter, the "in" port of the splitter goes into the cable running to tv2. at the other end, by tv2, do the reverse. the cable from the receiver goes to the "in" port of a 2 way splitter, one of the "out" ports to the tv2, one of the "out" ports has the remote antenna screwed on. I love that method! works like a champ over HUGE distances!

Makes me wonder, what's better for putting cable + a modulated TV2 to a TV? Splitter in "combiner" mode or a diplexer?

you should be able to do a search for this topic, because we have went into this in detail before, but yes, you can combine the tv2 output, and the uhf antenna signal into one line...
i do it ALL the time, in fact, i do it with one line from the juction area, to the room where the receiver is, through a diplexer, power passing side to the ProPlus seperator into the receiver, on the other side of the diplexer out to a splitter backwards, and then on the two "out" sides of the splitter, one side to the "tv2 out" and one to the uhf port

then in the room where the second tv is, from the wall plate to the splitter, one side to the antenna and the other side to the tv.

i hope that made some kind of sense,
if you are fluent with the concept of how to hook up diplexers you should be able to figure out, just use regular splitters instead

one install i did, both remotes from my two 322's was giving be problems, did this little fix on both of them, and i have never heard back from the customer...
and one, the worst one, was that the second tv was in a garage, some 200 feet away from the house, and the remote had to work through two brick walls, and a metal building... put the antenna in the room and it works as if it was IR

Thanks birddogy, I have something that I can apply to my job now in bigger homes wherethere is a signal issue and keep it looking more neat and clean.

ZandarKoad said:
Time to buy some splitters! WOOO HOOO! :D
Yes - your problem before was in trying to use a diplexer where a splitter/combiner was needed.

WAY too many people do not understand the difference between them - and now also the DPP Separator. It's really sad that a lot of them are installers. :(

SimpleSimon said:
Yes - your problem before was in trying to use a diplexer where a splitter/combiner was needed.

WAY too many people do not understand the difference between them - and now also the DPP Separator. It's really sad that a lot of them are installers. :(

Oh so true, I used to get a kick out of going to a home on a service call for no signal to find that the customer had moved the tv and used a two way splitter and a coax jumper for the reciever.

Hey Van,

Even better is when they strip the coax down to the center conductor then twist the two runs together.

Actually saw where a D* installer did this once. Customer quit with D* after 3 TC's in a month. Same installer would come out and get the system to work, how I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts