Does anyone know E* VOD Plains

rmorton0573

Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
NC
Hey all, I had Dish since July now and my set-up is a 625/510/311, and I was wondering if anyone knew if Dish was planning to do more with with the Video On Demand service then just 20 year old movies, and do things like WWE 24/7, and other VOD services like Comcast Cable offers.

It'll never be like what cable does.

I don't have VOD so I have no idea what 20 year old movies are on it (hey, some good movies came out in 85...), but charlie and the other guy (what's his name) talked down about wrestling when the WWE 24/7 question was raised a few months ago..."You'd WANT to watch wrestling 24 hours a day? ha ha", dick...

I say just get used to not having VOD. Learn to use your DVR efficiently and you'll never miss VOD...

The VOD is a good option for people doesn't have a DVR receiver(on cable). If you have a DVR receiver with more than 150 Hrs to recording(like 625, 942 or 921), you will be able to make own VOD recording everydays and everyweeks like I do.The problem is I don't have time to watch all of them.

Dish will likely only take a few PPV movies and tell your DVR to record them in the middle of the night. If you want to watch one, this its a VOD movie. They may do a few other shows other than movies such as the WWE stuff or events like that. But it will all be the same technology wise.

Ive seen the vod on the 625's and really its not true vod in any sense of the word. Maybe right now theyr testing it out but as one stated who wants to click in to see sixteen candles and pretty in pink paired up with fear and some obscure scifi horror flick? The only thing that seperates vod from ppv is you have the E vod movie for 24 hours straight and you cant dvr it.

I think they don't realize how much money they stand to make off of WWE 24/7 I mean no major market has it yet so if they were the first to do it they would get droves of wrestling fans fed up with waiting.

Maybe but wwe peaked as a fad a couple years ago and is dropping in popularity so I dont think in my opinion that it would be a good idea to put it on just yet until they look at the projected long term growth of wwe's life span.

The VOD is very nice. I seen it in use and thought it was awesome. All that had to be done was to pick which movie you wanted to watch (HBO on demand for example). This is what tv is coming to. IPTV. Never say never when it comes to satellite and what it may be able to offer. Space continues to grow and maybe someday it could be possible to receive software from the satellite to a receiver with a hard drive or chip that would give you the show you requested. It could get sent to them via broadband or dialup and received over satellite. Their satellite may not be able to handle that much data though. Who would have thought that we would see this many local markets go up 5 years ago?

Its not the same as it is on cable. This is satellite's solution to VOD at this time until they can figure out better ways.

Is there any services currently available online where you can watch any show that you want that has been created (kind of like how IPTV is going to be)?

Well,

If IPTV takes off like it should we will all be leaving satellite. IPTV has the ability to deliver pretty much everything on demand.

I know ExpressVU up here in Canada blew their wad on IPTV a few years back and are focusing their future on it and VOIP.

If done properly, like demos I have seen, IPTV will be the cats azz for sure.

Kryspy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)