UHF vs. UHF Pro remote problem

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
My UHF Pro 8.0 remote stopped working with my 921. So I got a replacement UHF Pro 6.2 from Dish. It also does not work. However, my Platimum UHF (non-Pro) remote from my old 501 works fine with the 921 (but can't control all the functions I need).

I have triple checked that the remote addresses of the 921 and remotes match and I have the correct key for the new 6.2 remote. Also, both the 6.2 and 8.0 remotes have fresh batteries and can control my TV (infrared). The remote antenna is connected to the correct input. And the remote is in "Sat" mode.

I had the same problem with my previous 921 which I replaced last week due to a hard drive failure.

What is the difference between UHF and UHF Pro? It seems that my 921 now only accepts commands from the older remote. Any ideas? Help!

UHF Pro uses a different frequency and coding from the old UHF.

Also the old UHF style is both UHF and IR so your 501 remote is controling your 921 with IR.

If you want to use the UHF PRO remote with any other receiver that has IR functionality (even if they are the older legacy receivers) then get the UHF PRO upgrade kit. It will change those IR frequencies into UHF PRO.

Stargazer said:
If you want to use the UHF PRO remote with any other receiver that has IR functionality (even if they are the older legacy receivers) then get the UHF PRO upgrade kit. It will change those IR frequencies into UHF PRO.
I just want to figure out why my 921 wont work with the remote that came with it (and also the replacement).

Is the problem with my 921 or both remotes?

It sounds like the UHF receiver in the 921 is not functioning. As n0qcu says, the old remote sends both UHF and IR, and the 921 is receiving the IR signal. Could the antenna for the UHF remote (on the back of the 921) have come loose and fallen off? I have a foursome of ferrets (the wife's) and they like to run all around my 811, and on several occasions have loosened the antenna.

Mark

Miner said:
It sounds like the UHF receiver in the 921 is not functioning. As n0qcu says, the old remote sends both UHF and IR, and the 921 is receiving the IR signal. Could the antenna for the UHF remote (on the back of the 921) have come loose and fallen off? I have a foursome of ferrets (the wife's) and they like to run all around my 811, and on several occasions have loosened the antenna.

Mark
I checked the antenna and even though it was screwed in tightly, the center conductor (aka "stinger") did not reach inside far enough to make a good connection with the receiver.

I added a short length of cable with sufficiently long stingers between the antenna and receiver. However, this solution only works after the receiver has been powered off (unplugged) for a while. Then the 921 will respond to the UHF remote for about the first 15 minutes of operation. So when it reaches operating temperature, it stops responding.

Both fans are running and there is plenty of ventilation room on both sides of the 921. And its only 75 degrees in my house, so I don't think the 921 is overheating.

Could it be a faulty UHF unit in the receiver that fails when warm?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)