Ultra Mess

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
"oh, oh..."
But really, I said worst.
I was loading the Enigma 2 software into my Ultra, and during the process, something went wrong.
I went thru the process as I should do. And at the end the Ultra was booting like it should and bam!
Now the remote control is totally useless and there is no way for me to turn on the receiver.
I tried using the switch on back to reboot, but after the process of it, nothing.
The LAN is still lite.
I tried reinstalling the 5020 but for some reason the Ultra having hard time recongiizing the USB stick.
Anyone knows what I need to do to get this receiver back on again?
Thanks

Installing and Uninstalling E2 is a 2 step process

Read the "ReadMe" that's with the E2 Download, in the AZUp Folder

You boot with USB Attached
Follow on Screen instructions, I formatted the App Area, then USB Update
Do Not Remove USB
You should see and IP number scrolling on the AZ VFD Display
Start the AZUp App, and enter the IP number showing on the AZ
Click "update"

When switching back to factory, it's the same double process, except that you copy the AZ "patch.bin" to the USB Stick

Installing and Uninstalling E2 is a 2 step process

Read the "ReadMe" that's with the E2 Download, in the AZUp Folder

You boot with USB Attached
Follow on Screen instructions, I formatted the App Area, then USB Update
Do Not Remove USB
You should see and IP number scrolling on the AZ VFD Display
Start the AZUp App, and enter the IP number showing on the AZ
Click "update"

When switching back to factory, it's the same double process, except that you copy the AZ "patch.bin" to the USB Stick

The Ultra doesn't have a VFD. Only LED indicators.

Problem is, there is no LED display on the Ultra.
I went ahead and reinstalled the E2 and did everything I suppose to do.
I use the Azup 1.1 to do the installation. When it read that the installation was successful, I unplug the USB stick and waited for the reboot. Never happened. I reached behind the receiver and turn the switch off and on so it would reboot. Went thru the rebooting cycle (the led light would change colors and then that suppose to be it). But after the reboot, no dice. Still can't turn on the receiver. The power led would be lit if the receiver comes on. Doesn't work. No response from the remote control or the power button on receiver.
Now I will attempt to reinstall the 5020 firmware.
Hope this will work.

There is a Power LED light on the front panel, next to the LAN LED light. That one stays on since it is hardwired to the router.
Whenever the Ultra is rebooting the Power LED would be flashing different colors until it finishes, then be solid red when receiver is on.
When I checked the network settings on this computer it shows the AZBOX as one of the devices on network. So it recognize the Ultra.
When I go to MAZ 3.0, the bottom of the screen would show the IP (192.168.1.100), Model (AZBOX), but here's the kicker, the Firmware is 10.
Usually, it would show 2050, the latest firmware that Rick had installed when I ordered the Ultra.
Could the firmware (10) be corrupt?

I be damn. Guess what the problem was?
It was my HD tv!
I took my old b/w tv and ran a video cable from the Ultra to the tv.
Now I can see everything!
From what I see about the E2, it does not support the HDMI for my tv, plus I have to use a Dreambox remote control. The Ultra remote is a joke with this firmware.
Maybe later when the developers do make E2 completely work with the Ultra and its remote, then maybe I will go that route. I was really disappointed with the E2.
It is back to 5020 for me.
Thanks guys for your inputs.
Now I have to figure out how to go back to the 5020.

The E2 Firmware defaults to 720P 50Hz

It's the same process to revert the AZBox back, just with "official" AZBox firmware on the USB Stick.

MrFTAMan,

That is a bit scary!

Personally, I don't know what the advantage is for switching to the Enigma 2 firmware.
I am unaware of what it is truly designed to be. The best I could muster out of what I read very briefly, was that it began to be developed for the Dreambox as a third party firmware to close up some of the gaps that the factory software was neglecting. Not sure if that notion is correct, but if it is, then they are starting to get in on the ground floor and rewrite it to apply to the AZBox.

My judgement is that it is too new to be reliable and too risky. I don't mind being an experimenter, but I think this project is not finished and refined enough for me to be willing to risk it.

RADAR

Lak, I put the USB with the official FW to the Ultra, and rebooted. After that, I go to the azup software and tried to go that route. After entering the IP, I click on Update. I would get a box stating to put a USB with the patch.bin in and reboot. That as far as I get. Every time I click the Update button it does that.
I guess I need to figure out a way to get the E2 setup menu to lead me to the USB stick with the original FW and go to there. You can with the 2050 FW setup menu but it is totally different with the Dreambox menu.
Is it possible to use the MAZ 3 to make this work?
Surely someone in this forum had the E2 but went back to the original FW.

I have gone back to factory firmware previously without issue. I'm about near the end of my "tour" of the current alpha and will be reinstalling factory firmware later today. I'll let you know what if any issues I have. As the Ultra doesn't have VFD, just wait until its booted up before running AZUp.

From the read me file:

II) You have E2 in yourAZBox and now you want to install official FW
Switch off AZBox
Put usb stick with patch.bin (Official FW)
switch on AZBox
wait for IP adress on VFD of AZBox
Start latest ver of AZUp
Write IP adress in AZUp (see VFD)
Click on button Update
AZUp check for resque mode, also check ver of patch.bin (E2 or official fw)
AZUp Create 4 partition on DOM and formatted them
Copyng Official (old) kernel in Flash (about 2.5 min)
when get popup msg - first part of update is done, but dont remove USB stick from AZBOX
wait for reboot , and follow messages on GUI for update official FW (standard procedure)

As far as the IP is concern, I am using the one that my Ultra is using. When I run the Maz 3 the IP is listed at the bottom of its screen.
When I check the networks on my computer one of the devices listed is the Azbox.
So I know the IP of the Ultra is the one that works.
I haven't tried to reinstall the 5020 yet, waiting for the download to complete.
Let you know how I am doing in a few minutes...
Lak, did you use the AZup 1.1 to install your firmware? Is there another way to do this?

I DID IT!!!!
I realized that I was doing the renaming of the firmware wrong. I renamed it just "patch" instead of "patch.bin". For some reason using the latter wasn't working so after reading the thread on installing the official I did what it suggested. It worked.
Thank you Lak and Mr3p for your help!!!
I wouldn't recommend the E2 at all. It just not for the Ultra. Doesn't have HDMI and altogether too limited.

MrFTAMan,

That is a bit scary!

Personally, I don't know what the advantage is for switching to the Enigma 2 firmware.
I am unaware of what it is truly designed to be. The best I could muster out of what I read very briefly, was that it began to be developed for the Dreambox as a third party firmware to close up some of the gaps that the factory software was neglecting. Not sure if that notion is correct, but if it is, then they are starting to get in on the ground floor and rewrite it to apply to the AZBox.

My judgement is that it is too new to be reliable and too risky. I don't mind being an experimenter, but I think this project is not finished and refined enough for me to be willing to risk it.

RADAR

its far from being finished but its been fun to play with. at this point there is zero advantage, in fact its not really that functional, so the only reason to load it would be for experimentation. Whats been released so far is alpha but as dev gets further along, I think you will definitely see advantages over the factory firmware, which as the time of this post hasn't been updated for 2-3months. E2 has the potential of addressing issues which thus far Opensat has not shown the interest/ability in addressing.

I just reinstalled factory firmware ver 5020 following the instructions I posted above and everything is back to default, including the PAL video output, which I corrected by breifly connecting a display via composite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts