Um, need a crash course in Dish Network.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tsbrewers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
MN
Hey all, I am hoping I can get some help on setting up a Dish Network system. My Parents have Dish Network right now in their home, and would like to hook up a receiver in their RV. I was asked to figure out how and what they will need. Money is a very important factor, so we can not go with an automatic dish. Dad is in his 70s so simple and easy helps too though. No need for HD or anything like that.

I did have Directv for quite a few years, quite a few years ago, so I do have an idea on how it works, but have never used DN.

here are the first questions, most likely all equipment will be used due to price.

Dish- If I understand correctly, the dish500 will get both normal Sats. If I hook a single rg6 up to one lnb, will I still get both sats? Or do I need a RG6 from both lnbs, then a combiner and then a splitter at the receiver?

Receiver-Looking for a simple (cheap) receiver, would a good used 301 be the way to go?

I will start there, and work my way out if I need. Really appreciate any help I can get.

Brew

As long as you have a DPP Twin then you may use a single cable for both sats.

The 301/311 are decent basic receivers for a single TV. The 322 can feed two TVs.

Most RVs now are wired from the drivers rear compartment for an external and everything feeds from the console over the drivers seat. If you have two tvs and the wiring already there, go for the 322.

Guys, if I'm not mistaken if they go with one of those receivers won't they have to be in a spot that gets the Western Arc only? Depending on where they go camping I would think that could be a major limitation.

Guys, if I'm not mistaken if they go with one of those receivers won't they have to be in a spot that gets the Western Arc only? Depending on where they go camping I would think that could be a major limitation.

Yes the 301/311 is a western arc only receiver, but a 500 dish is much easier for a novice to set up than the eastern arc 1000.4. Not to mention the fact that the farther west you go the higher 119/110 becomes, and the lower the EA birds are. To the OP before you buy a MPG2 receiver make sure your parents account is a WA (western arc) account, because Dish's computer won't let a MPG2 receiver activate on a EA (eastern arc) account. Also do not tell them it will be used in a RV they may give you static about activating it.

After a little more research, it sounds like I would just need a separator at the receiver if I went with the 322? So I could hook a single coax from one of the two LNB's, run it to the receiver and then use a separator there?

I think their camper is from the mid 90's so I know it has a cable feed, but I am pretty sure it is RG59. which probably won't work?

I would love to be able to just call an installer, but we don't have the money to do that.

Not sure what western arc means, but 99% of their camping is in Minnesota. They are the type to drive 20 miles from home and camp for a week. That is about as exciting as they get. :) Just a VERY quick reading about western/eastern arcs leads me to believe they are in the western arc. They have had their home setup for 4 or 5 years with no change in receiver or dish.

Brew

Western arc is the 119* 110* 129* sats. Eastern arc is 61.5* 72.7* 77* sats. Only MPG4 (high definition) receivers will work on the eastern arc system. MPG4 and MPG2 (standard definition) receivers will work in the western arc. Standard def systems only use 119* 110* for the national programming with the possible addition of 129*, or one of the EA birds for local programming. That being said I believe Dish is/was migrating all two dish systems (119*/110*+ one of the three EA birds) over to a single dish solution. You can check what sats the system is looking at by looking at the "System Info" screen on one of there receivers (menu 6-1-3). Using that information will let you know what kind of dish to buy them, and what receiver. As far as the camper goes your easiest bet is going to just be to run a new wire out for the dish. Most campers have junk wire in them, and you will pull your hair out trying to figure out what goes where.

If the old folks are taking there camper each time they go. And it is not (parked). They will have to set up the dish each time. If they are that simple I am guessing, you are wasting your time. Are the owners of the RV going to pull out the dish each time, find a line of site, setup the dish. run scan. ya da ya da. Then if the receiver has not recieved a sat signal in a while like a couple of weeks it deactivates and it will need a hit or phone call to do so. Only based on there age. And money limits.I would say no go on this venture. Peace

Thanks, I was wondering about a satellite finder. Is there a *cheap* one that is normally recommended? I was going to pick up one of the cheap analog ones, but saw this one at amazon,
Amazon.com: DSF120+ Digital Satellite Finder | Digital Satellite Meter: Electronics and read a few reviews that said it was pretty descent for the price on another sat forum.

I will see if I can get my parents to check out that menu. They are 150 miles away, so might be fun trying to talk them through menus I have never seen. :)I know they do not have any HD right now, so I am guessing western.

Brew

If the old folks are taking there camper each time they go. And it is not (parked). They will have to set up the dish each time. If they are that simple I am guessing, you are wasting your time. Are the owners of the RV going to pull out the dish each time, find a line of site, setup the dish. run scan. ya da ya da. Then if the receiver has not recieved a sat signal in a while like a couple of weeks it deactivates and it will need a hit or phone call to do so. Only based on there age. And money limits.I would say no go on this venture. Peace

That was exactly my thoughts too, but they really want sat. and this is one of the biggest reasons we don't want to get really carried away price wise (in case they decide it is too much work). I think if I can get it all set up for them, and make it as simple as I can, it will work though.

That was exactly my thoughts too, but they really want sat. and this is one of the biggest reasons we don't want to get really carried away price wise (in case they decide it is too much work). I think if I can get it all set up for them, and make it as simple as I can, it will work though.
the easiest way for them to get it set up quick and easy would be to use a "Vuqube" or something of the like. good news is that dish is coming out with a "vuqube" of thier own, the tailgater, that will be $349 + the cost of a 211 receiver. so for around $500 bucks they could have an easy to set up ,or permantly attached to the camper, antenna. if you got them a dish with a tripod they would still have to adjust it whenever they stopped and might waste a couple hours each day trying to get it set up. if it were me, i would have a yard sale, or sell something unneeded, or save up and get something like that. YMMV

well, the way I look at is, for about $100 I can get them completely set up for this summer. If they decide next year that they really like having DN in their RV, and they hate setting up the dish, at that point all they need to do is get a self contained antennas and be good to go. Unless I still don't quite understand. I did like the idea of the winegard crank up dish, but I read some bad reviews about it not being stable, and I would be a little nervous they would leave it up when they start driving.

Brew

Once you get practiced at setting up a Ku dish, it doesn't take more than a few minutes (assuming you thought ahead and printed out the necessary aiming information).

A good tripod is a big help, but I've set up a dish nailed to a short 2x8 in less than 10 minutes without a level given the right azimuth, elevation and skew.

Line of sight is always an issue so they'll need to choose their sites carefully and/or stay in parks with not much in the way of trees.

I am over 70 also, and have dish at the house. I wanted to be able to set up a TV for the wife, as she needs the noise to sleep. I went with this CO. for my dish kit -----http://bestwaysatellite.com/inc/sdetail/250 I bought the 500 kit because I have the VIP211K receiver, and asked Dish HQ what I needed for an antenna..... The cheaper model is a 300, and they said ir would not work with my box.... Keep in mind that with the 500 dish you do not get your locals, or HD. I did not see this as a problem, it came with a good compass, and their site has a downloadable printable form you use for all your angles.... I have a 3' stick with a string on it. I aim the compass (for my location) to 247 deg azimuth then set the stick on the ground at that azimuth drop the string. Then the 500 dish has the elevation printed on the left side, I set it at that, set my skew plug in the meter, and check for signal strength. It takes me just a few minutes to set my system up this way...... I have only set it up twice in my yard as we have not been on the road yet, as soon as the contractors are done with this place we will be going camping though........

What is the digital TV reception like in your part of MN? Get your father a dish 500 and a tripod and set it up in the back yard. One or 2 attempts will tell you if it will work or not. TV antennas are simpler than satellite dishes

Once you get practiced at setting up a Ku dish, it doesn't take more than a few minutes (assuming you thought ahead and printed out the necessary aiming information).

A good tripod is a big help, but I've set up a dish nailed to a short 2x8 in less than 10 minutes without a level given the right azimuth, elevation and skew.

Line of sight is always an issue so they'll need to choose their sites carefully and/or stay in parks with not much in the way of trees.

Is the tripod the way to go? I was thinking more along the lines of something like this since I could make one pretty quick at home. It does tend to get quite windy around here since it is so flat, thought one of these might be more stable, especially if we threw a sandbag or something on it. But I am open to what ever would work the best.
DS-5146_zoom.gif
What is the digital TV reception like in your part of MN? Get your father a dish 500 and a tripod and set it up in the back yard. One or 2 attempts will tell you if it will work or not. TV antennas are simpler than satellite dishes

There is virtually no OTA where they live. They have one station about 50 miles from their place and it is the public tv station. Thus, that is the big reason they want DN in their RV. Sometimes they will pick up a couple more so like 5 or 6 channels. My dad needs to watch his baseball, so DN is about the only way.

Their satellite at home works just fine now, so I am not sure why a different one wouldn't? Only thing will be the trees depending on where they go. Once I get it all put together I do plan on going there to install it and run through it a few times for dad to figure it out.

Brew

When you get the system set up, you make your father do the aiming with you supervising, he will need the practice.

Set it up, move the RV, set it up again, repeat, so he becomes thoroughly familiar with techniques and problems, otherwise this project is doomed to failure.

For the skid mount, I was thinking about drilling a hole in the corners, welding a nut on the frame, then using long bolts, or just threaded rod, threaded through the nuts to level it. Sound ok? Part of the reason I want to go this route is I already have the frame part built. I built it to mount a tongue box on the front of my job trailer, but didn't like that the box was square instead of angled like the tongue, so I never used it. So I figured I could just add a board or more metal down the middle, put some adjusters in the corners, and mount it up. I have a gut feeling this will be a temp solution anyway.

I guess I would rather just get it all hooked up and see how it all works before we get too carried away. :)

Brew

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)