Unable to activate a 111 Receiver?

lb311

Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
I bought a Dish 111 Receiver last fall from the DishStore to use in my RV (it's the only "square sized" receiver I could find that would fit in my RV's cabinet). When I tried to activate it, the Dish cust svc rep said I could not use it with my TurboHD Bronze package and would need to "upgrade" to AC Top120 (which I reluctantly did). The 111 worked fine last fall for the couple of weeks I used it with my portable satellite dish, a Winegard Carryout.

When I took the RV out this spring, I found the 111 no longer activated-- it kept getting an 005 error on any channel I tried to view other than channel 101.

I've now called Dish Tech Support 5 times in the past few months to try and re-activate the 111 and have not been successfull.

2 techs advised they had now added the receiver to my account and were sending the new channels down to my receiver and to give it "30 to 45 minutes" to download. The channels never successfully downloaded and 2nd receiver fee was never charged.

1 tech advised that my firmware was out of date, so he sent that down to the receiver and told me to wait "30 to 45 minutes" to download it (again, no change even after completely powering the unit off for 10 minutes and rebooting it).

2 other techs went thru a number of t-shooting steps and finally told me that the 111 receiver could not be activated because it was too old and no longer supported-- that Dish's satellites had been upgraded over the winter and could now no longer send programming to these older receivers.

Anyone know if this is really true or not? I really don't need HD in the RV, and hate to have to buy a 211k as it's too big for the RV cabinet I have.

The 111 and sat dish both seem to work fine-- I get channel 101 just fine and all 3 sats show "good" reception status so the Winegard dish seems to be pulling them in just fine.

As usual Dish Network tech support department doesn't know what they are talking about. You can activate the 111's just fine, I activated one a few days ago

I think what you need to do is connect up the receiver to just 119, run a check switch and leave it powered off for a few hours

All I think you need is a firmware update and a firmware update on the smart card.

thanks guys! I'll give the check switch a try.

How do I get an updated smartcard? Will Dish send me one? Or do I need to go back to DishStore.net?

Lynne

OK so thats good

I would do as Claude said...make sure you can see 119 and then power off the receiver for an hour or so. It should power back on and download software

try going to channel 101 then shut the receiver off at the receiver power button, If it is in need of a software update it should popup within 30 to 45 seconds downloading vital info.Most won't activate properly without current software

I'd ask what software version is on there but Dish in their infinite wisdom dropped the tech portal site that showed that info...it now routes you to "I'm an idiot how do I change the batteries in my remote 101" that they call "tech support" :rolleyes:

On system info screen if your purple card dont have at least H03 or the latest dshH05 after where it says DNASP241 then you wont get squat! You are probably still on H02.

You need to get back up to the latest smartcard rev by tuning to 9900 and then going into standby for 30 minutes, then pulling the card and re inserting it, then it reboots, this may take several trys and you need to be on 110 with a solid signal.

Last edited:
This is not for a firmware update it is for smartcard revision and the directions come from advance tech support, tune to dish 500 test card on 9900 @ 110, go into standby / power off for 30 minutes with front panel (do not unplug), before powering back on pull out smartcard then unplug power, reinsert card, then plug back in. You don't need 119 works on 110. Also new added wrinkle you probably need to dial in for it to dump first otherwise it is in doorstop mode.

I bought a Dish 111 Receiver last fall from the DishStore to use in my RV (it's the only "square sized" receiver I could find that would fit in my RV's cabinet). When I tried to activate it, the Dish cust svc rep said I could not use it with my TurboHD Bronze package and would need to "upgrade" to AC Top120 (which I reluctantly did). The 111 worked fine last fall for the couple of weeks I used it with my portable satellite dish, a Winegard Carryout.

When I took the RV out this spring, I found the 111 no longer activated-- it kept getting an 005 error on any channel I tried to view other than channel 101.

I've now called Dish Tech Support 5 times in the past few months to try and re-activate the 111 and have not been successfull.

2 techs advised they had now added the receiver to my account and were sending the new channels down to my receiver and to give it "30 to 45 minutes" to download. The channels never successfully downloaded and 2nd receiver fee was never charged.

1 tech advised that my firmware was out of date, so he sent that down to the receiver and told me to wait "30 to 45 minutes" to download it (again, no change even after completely powering the unit off for 10 minutes and rebooting it).

2 other techs went thru a number of t-shooting steps and finally told me that the 111 receiver could not be activated because it was too old and no longer supported-- that Dish's satellites had been upgraded over the winter and could now no longer send programming to these older receivers.

Anyone know if this is really true or not? I really don't need HD in the RV, and hate to have to buy a 211k as it's too big for the RV cabinet I have.

The 111 and sat dish both seem to work fine-- I get channel 101 just fine and all 3 sats show "good" reception status so the Winegard dish seems to be pulling them in just fine.

All Receivers with G3 smartcards now go into doorstop mode around 45 days after they are deactivated, after that they will display channel 101 but all other channels including the sat test cards in the 9900s will give you an error #5 nag until and unless you do a dialout and then a hard reboot. then you can follow the procedure to get to the latest smartcard rev if it isnt already there by then.

seeing how he has a winegard dish getting 3 orbitals, i assume its the 1k2 version that windegard makes that gets 110 119 129. i dont believe they make an aftermarket EA dish. so signal and software is not the issue per his previous notes. however, i found this previous post the OP has
Take the price of the basic bare bones TurboHD Bronze w/Locals pkg. It's pretty darn cheap! Now look at the additional channels you get when you upgrade-- do you watch those extra channels enough to justify the $10, $20, $30+ you'll pay in extra fees?

Same goes for assessing those movie channels-- do you get enough value for the price you pay each month? Or would you be better off w/Netflix or renting as needed via pay-per-view?

Finally, assess your receivers-- do you need a separate receiver for each TV? Or do you only really watch one TV at a time (and could nicely use the "TV2" feature of a single receiver like the 722)?

I used to pay nearly $90/month to Comcast for all those channels I thought I just had to have. But turns out, those channels were often filled with reruns & I usually only watched a couple basic channels & local networks. For everything else, I can watch it via the Internet or rent it from iTunes or Netflix.

I now have TurbroBronze HD and a 722 running 2 TVs and am saving $50/month. Very satisfied with my decision.

so the problem is he has turbobronze hd, now known as "dish america" his account is coded for only mpeg4 equipment. the 111 cannot be activated to his account until he changes to a standered AT package. there is nothing wrong with the 111 sent to him from claude.

ur right iceberg. i do not know how i could miss that clear fact yet dig up the old fact i his previous posts. maybe it just a fault rec then if it wont activate at this point.

Hi again-- thanks for the suggestions thus far. BTW-- I'm a gal, not a guy :)
So, here's what I've got-- my DNASP is an H03, and current software is P441.

I've tried tuning to chan. 101, leaving the receiver powered off 30 mins, removing purple smartcard, unplugging rcvr for 10 mins, then reinserting smartcard and rebooting the receiver. Still no change in behavior.

I'm not able to tune to chan 9900 as I get the 005 error message that r10fret predicted I would. So, it appears the receiver is in doorstop mode and in need of a smartcard revision.

Is there any other way to get a smartcard revision without doing a dial out? I don't have any landline phone service in my RV or at home. I use Powerlink (Ethernet via electrical socket) for my 722 receiver at home, but don't have that in the RV. I don't think the 111 works with Powerlink.

Any other trick to getting a hard reboot done on this 111 receiver so that it will download the smartcard revision?

thanks,
Lynne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts