Unable to lock FTA digital satellite signals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

49studebaker

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
I have a 10 foot dish, CoRotator 2 ku/cband lnbs, an analog Chaparral Monterey, a SkyVision DSR-410, and a DVBworld [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005.

I am able to pickup all the free analog signals on different satellites using my analog receiver. I have the DSR-410 slaved to my analog receiver and when I point my dish to AMC 18 105*W I get quality of 99% on my DSR-410. I am not currently subcribed but will sooner or later. On that satellite I can get music on quite a few channels, looking at AMC 18 at 105.0°W - LyngSat I can see those music channels are unscrambled. Some of the music channels are Horizontal, I have to set polarization on my analog receiver to 120 for H to hear them and some are vertical I have to set my analog receiver to 190.

Would it be safe to assume I should be able to pickup free digital unscrambled signals on other satellites or a least a few? I moved the dish to AMC11 which has analog C-span tp7 V, the channel is clear and my signal meter on the analog receiver is maxed out. I disconnected the coax cable from my DSR-410 and connected it to the DVBworld [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005 in my pc. I noticed on lyngsat QVC is a digital channel and it has Vertical polarization the same as C-span. I have tried using DVBworld software, DVBdream, and other software to lock this signal. I have tried scanning all the transponders on the satellite and have tried other satellites. On the DVBworld software the signal is at 91% and the quality remains at zero not matter if I move the dish the finest bit left or right or finely adjust the polarization. I noticed after I try to lock the signal will drop to 53% and stay there. If I restart my computer then the signal will be back at 91%.

I dont know what is exactly wrong. I think all the settings are right. I have the lnb set to 5150 since I am only using cband for now. I put in the correct frequency, symbol rate, FEC, and the analog receiver is on the correct satellite and set at the correct polarization. I am not using a diseqc switch so that can not be the cause of the problem. The only thing I can guess that is cause the problem would be the DVBworld [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005 card. Maybe it is defective.

If I had a dvb receiver then I could check to see wheter it could lock a signal or just to see if the quality level would be higher than zero. Then I would know for certain it is the PCIe card.

So it either has to be the PCIe card, I do not have the right settings, or my dish is not completely in alignment with the satellite(s).

Thanks for any help.

I have a 10 foot dish, CoRotator 2 ku/cband lnbs, an analog Chaparral Monterey, a SkyVision DSR-410, and a DVBworld DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005.

I am able to pickup all the free analog signals on different satellites using my analog receiver. I have the DSR-410 slaved to my analog receiver and when I point my dish to AMC 18 105*W I get quality of 99% on my DSR-410. I am not currently subcribed but will sooner or later. On that satellite I can get music on quite a few channels, looking at AMC 18 at 105.0°W - LyngSat I can see those music channels are unscrambled. Some of the music channels are Horizontal, I have to set polarization on my analog receiver to 120 for H to hear them and some are vertical I have to set my analog receiver to 190.

Would it be safe to assume I should be able to pickup free digital unscrambled signals on other satellites or a least a few? I moved the dish to AMC11 which has analog C-span tp7 V, the channel is clear and my signal meter on the analog receiver is maxed out. I disconnected the coax cable from my DSR-410 and connected it to the DVBworld DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005 in my pc. I noticed on lyngsat QVC is a digital channel and it has Vertical polarization the same as C-span. I have tried using DVBworld software, DVBdream, and other software to lock this signal. I have tried scanning all the transponders on the satellite and have tried other satellites. On the DVBworld software the signal is at 91% and the quality remains at zero not matter if I move the dish the finest bit left or right or finely adjust the polarization. I noticed after I try to lock the signal will drop to 53% and stay there. If I restart my computer then the signal will be back at 91%.

I dont know what is exactly wrong. I think all the settings are right. I have the lnb set to 5150 since I am only using cband for now. I put in the correct frequency, symbol rate, FEC, and the analog receiver is on the correct satellite and set at the correct polarization. I am not using a diseqc switch so that can not be the cause of the problem. The only thing I can guess that is cause the problem would be the DVBworld DVB-S2 PCI-Express DW2005 card. Maybe it is defective.

If I had a dvb receiver then I could check to see wheter it could lock a signal or just to see if the quality level would be higher than zero. Then I would know for certain it is the PCIe card.

So it either has to be the PCIe card, I do not have the right settings, or my dish is not completely in alignment with the satellite(s).

Thanks for any help.

Yes, you should be able to pick that up. I assume that you're still slaved to the Monty receiver using some kind of DC-block or a 1 leg power passing"T", and that you have that on the proper polarity selected on the Monty. I just tried, and that transponder comes in fine. You might also try the 3940 H 29270 transponder, which is on the other polarity, in case polarity is the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that since your card is a DVB-S2 capable card, that you have it in DVB-S2 mode rather than DVB mode. If you have it in S2 mode, it won't lock the DVB signals, and visa-versa, even though you have the freq/SR set properly.

Yes, you should be able to pick that up. I assume that you're still slaved to the Monty receiver using some kind of DC-block or a 1 leg power passing"T", and that you have that on the proper polarity selected on the Monty. I just tried, and that transponder comes in fine. You might also try the 3940 H 29270 transponder, which is on the other polarity, in case polarity is the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that since your card is a DVB-S2 capable card, that you have it in DVB-S2 mode rather than DVB mode. If you have it in S2 mode, it won't lock the DVB signals, and visa-versa, even though you have the freq/SR set properly.

I am using a two-way splitter with the coax from the c-band lnb connected to the input, the analog satellite receiver connected to the power passing ouput 1, and the DSR-410 or PCIe card connected to the non power passing output 2. I do not think the problem is with the splitter since when the DSR-410 is connected to output 2 I can get music channels on Horizontal polarization and also on Vertical polarization. So that tells me it has to be something wrong or something not set correctly with the card.

I did not realize there are seperate modes for dvb-s and dvb-s2. I will have to check that out and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks.

I played around with the Qvc signal in the Dvbworld software and my Dvbworld 2004pci dvb-s2 device. The Dvbworld software seems less forgiving than other software, in Transedit I can scan and lock that freq with any FEC, it seems if the modulation is set to qpsk it sets FEC to auto internally although you can select any fec you desire in the software but it doesn't seem to matter it will lock the signal at any value.
These are my settings in the Dvbworld software that enabled a lock: Settings via Lyngsat
3928 V SR 14323 Punctured code - DVBS QPSK 5/6.
Just to run through my procedure:
select AMC 11 2290.ini, LNB type normal(5150), DiSEqC-disabled in your case, then press "apply".
I had to "Add TP" as it wasn't in my ini file. I just used the freq, sr, etc above, then pressed "apply" again, then click "lock" and I got green signal/quality bars.

I played around with the Qvc signal in the Dvbworld software and my Dvbworld 2004pci dvb-s2 device. The Dvbworld software seems less forgiving than other software, in Transedit I can scan and lock that freq with any FEC, it seems if the modulation is set to qpsk it sets FEC to auto internally although you can select any fec you desire in the software but it doesn't seem to matter it will lock the signal at any value.
These are my settings in the Dvbworld software that enabled a lock: Settings via Lyngsat
3928 V SR 14323 Punctured code - DVBS QPSK 5/6.
Just to run through my procedure:
select AMC 11 2290.ini, LNB type normal(5150), DiSEqC-disabled in your case, then press "apply".
I had to "Add TP" as it wasn't in my ini file. I just used the freq, sr, etc above, then pressed "apply" again, then click "lock" and I got green signal/quality bars.

I tried that and I get zero quality. My Strength is at 91%, but when I try to lock it falls to 53%. It must be something wrong with the dvb card.

Attachments

• dvbWorld1.PNG
    dvbWorld1.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 244
Try connecting direct to the LNB, bypassing the Analog Receiver and switches.

Did you download the latest software from WorldDVB?

Try connecting direct to the LNB, bypassing the Analog Receiver and switches.

Did you download the latest software from WorldDVB?

I connected the lnb directly to the dvb card and the only difference I noticed was when I tried to lock the signal the Strength dropped from 91% to 61%. When I had the card connected to the analog receiver with a splitter the Strength dropped from 91% to 53%. In both cases Quality is 0%.

Yes, I am running the latest DVB world software.

I noticed a poster said his Strength and quality bars are green. Even when my Strength is at 91% it is still red. Maybe I still have some setting wrong?

Attachments

• dvbWorld.PNG
    dvbWorld.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 253
3dOptics.....

I was looking at the images in message 5, and I noticed something. I noticed that it indicated that you were using "Normal" for LNB type, and in the grayed out boxes below, it listed 5150 for LO1 and 5750 for LO2 . I don't know how the software you're using works, but is it possible that the thing is somehow trying to use LO2 instead of LO1??? Usually, when 2 LO freqs are indicated, there is some switchover freq parameter, but I don't see anything like that in the display. Anyway, probably not the problem, but you might try to change both LO freqs to 5150, which might require switching to some other (like standard or single) LNB type. If it's using the wrong LO, then you probably aren't tuning the frequency you think you're tuning.
The other thing that came to mind. When you connected directly to the coax from the LNB, I'd recommend setting your program on horizontal polarity (not a bad idea even when slaved through the splitter), since when set on vertical the card is only putting out 13V, which often isn't enough to power a BUD LNB.

EDIT: one other idea, again not knowing what "Normal" refers to on your software. I thought that perhaps Normal means that it isn't using a LO freq, but is just using the raw IF freq. If that is the case, try using 1222 for your frequency instead of 3928. Just a thought.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)