Unable to pair new remote (54.3) with Joey 2!!

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
I am just puzzled here. First brief story.
Using Hopper 3 and Joey 2's. Remote model 52 (which came with Joey 2) is acting. Mostly skip forward issue. I decided to order the newest voice activated remote (54.3) from ebay. Brand new. I received it today from Wall Dist. Corp. College Station, Texas. It came with one page instructions.
It shows that I press System info button on the front panel of receiver/sat button on remote/back button on remote.
So, I pressed system info on Joey 2. The tv screen changed to Diagnostics showing remote info. Then, I pressed Sat on the narrow side of remote 54.3. (yes, I pulled the clear plastic from battery section.) Then, back. SAT on remote briefly flashed. And, nothing! It won't pair. I even replaced the installed Duracell batteries with new ones. That didn't work either.
I also use older remote (model 40) with this Joey 2. It was very easy to pair in the past. Naturally, I thought perhaps Joey 2 has a limit of 2 remote controls. I unpaired this old remote, tried with remote 54.3. Nope. I paired joey 2 with old model 40 remote. As soon as I pressed SAT button on it, it beeped and info popped up under the original remote (52) on the screen.
When I try to pair 53.4, it never beeps. The lights on remote briefly come on when I press on buttons, but Joey 2 does not respond at all. Also, diagnostics page does not list this remote.
I checked Dish's support site. Pretty much same instructions.
Yes, Hopper 3 is connected to internet with wifi. I cannot use ethernet cable since the modem/router combo is on the second floor and tv/joey 2 are in the basement.

it is time my dummy questions:

Does remote 4.3 work only with Hopper 3 but not with Joey 2?
Do I need to unpair the original (52) remote and pair the new 54.3?
Is it possible I have a dedective remote? (I believe that's very unlikely.)
Should I call Dish support? I am afraid some overseas help will read from manual and give me the same instructions.

Thanks for reading and giving your best advice to this poor retiree!!

Attachments

• IMG_9060.jpg
    IMG_9060.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: charlesrshell
Is it possible that the remote was previously paired to a Hopper? If so you will need to deprogram the remote. Here are the instructions.

How to deprogram remote from receiver – Using Remote:
Press and hold the SAT mode button until all mode buttons light up.
Press and hold RECALL and SYSTEM WIZARD (0) at the same time for 3 seconds.
Press SEARCH.
Press VOL +
Press STOP (If successful, you will hear three descending tones after 5 seconds)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Dweber provided the instructions for a 40.0 remote, a 54.x is a lot simpler. Press and hold SAT, and once SAT/TV/AUX light up on the top (if they do then the remote is definitely paired to something else), release sat and hold both DVR+Guide, it can take between 5-10 seconds but you will hear a descending tone. You may have to try this 2 or 3 times. Once you get the tone then attempt to pair with the Joey again

Thanks for the suggestions. Unpairing old remote (40) that I hardly use was very easy. Diagnostics page. Select 'unpair' with 40. Gone. That did not help with linking 54.3 to Joey.
When I press SAT on 54.3, only SAT flashes, nothing else.
I bit the bullet and called Dish tech support. Some heavily accented but super sweet lady tried to help. I told her what I did. We did everything one more time. No beeping sound from remote if pairing is successfull. She made me soft reset with power button on Joey, take the batteries out and put them back, unpair remote 40. Well, no luck. Apparently, she felt 'Hell with it'. Sending me a replacement 54 in few days at no charge.

Now, this is getting more interesting. I tried to pair 54.3 with Hopper 3. It worked like charm! Right away. The new remote works fine with Hopper 3.
Unfortunately, my daily tv is connected to that particular Joey.

Does this mean Joey is somehow defective or won't accept voice remote?

Attachments

• Remotes with Sony.jpeg
    Remotes with Sony.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 165
Your software is up to date, and I'm pretty sure the 54.3 is compatible. My Wireless Joey (same software as a Joey 2.0) takes a 54.0/1/3 no problem. Are you attempting to pair close up on the Joey? Since the UHF antenna on a Joey is internal, its range is somewhat lower than a Hopper due to its external antenna. Otherwise, it may be the Joey, since the remote paired to another receiver no problem (which does not make much sense, because if the UHF transmitter is fried the other 2 remotes would not work at all).

I thought that, too. My Joey 2 is behind the wall in another room. ( I didn't want to see cables.) I tried both ways. Standing in front of tv and going to the other room and doing it in front of Joey. No difference.
When I unpaired/ paired remote 40, I was standing next to tv. It paired right away.

I did initially hard reset on joey. Unplugged then plugged the power cord. Tech support lady made me push the reset button for soft reset. Neither action helped. This is the Joey 2 I use most often. I have total 3 Joeys. I wonder if I should try to pair 54.3 with kitchen Joey to see if it works.

Hipkat, is there a limit how many remotes you can pair with Joey?

Trying to pair that remote on on the kitchen Joey is an excellent idea. It will let you know if the issue is with the remote or the receiver. I'm betting it's the remote. If the receiver were the issue you would have trouble pairing any remote to it.

Appreciate it Bobby. I paired that new remote with Hopper 3, and it worked. Do I need to unpair before I try it with kitchen Joey? I probably do. Just need someone to confirm this dummy.

I went ahead and unpaired 54.3 remote with Hopper 3 as suggested. ( That was temporary anyway.) It paired with kitchen Joey2! Now, diagnostics for that Joey 2 show 2 remotes, 52 and 54.3. So, it wasn’t remote causing trouble.
the only thing new remote is not doing is turning both tv and Joey2 together. Unlike model 52 it has only one power button. It is strange. When I press power button on remote, Vizio tv, Vizio soundbar and joey2 are turned on.. But, the same button won’t turn off joey2, only tv and sound bar. I tried different angles. No luck. I have to manually turn Joey off. With Hopper 3 and tv connected to it, it would turn both on and off with one push.
still scratching my head and trying to make any sense. The replacement 54.3 is arriving soon. If it does not pair with trouble Joey2, I reckon dish will replace it. ( Joey2).
If they agree to do it, how does the process work? Do I need to call after getting it to have them authorize it before I swap them?

But, the same button won’t turn off joey2
If you mean the green light on the Joey stays on that’s normal. The Joey will stay on for one minute after getting an off command (and if the tv remains on, you also get the “Joey will soon go into standby” message thing). Go ahead and give it another shot, then count to 60 and see if it stays on

I went ahead and unpaired 54.3 remote with Hopper 3 as suggested. ( That was temporary anyway.) It paired with kitchen Joey2! Now, diagnostics for that Joey 2 show 2 remotes, 52 and 54.3. So, it wasn’t remote causing trouble.
the only thing new remote is not doing is turning both tv and Joey2 together. Unlike model 52 it has only one power button. It is strange. When I press power button on remote, Vizio tv, Vizio soundbar and joey2 are turned on.. But, the same button won’t turn off joey2, only tv and sound bar. I tried different angles. No luck. I have to manually turn Joey off. With Hopper 3 and tv connected to it, it would turn both on and off with one push.
still scratching my head and trying to make any sense. The replacement 54.3 is arriving soon. If it does not pair with trouble Joey2, I reckon dish will replace it. ( Joey2).
If they agree to do it, how does the process work? Do I need to call after getting it to have them authorize it before I swap them?
Double check both the Vizio TV and the remote control CEC settings are enabled. If the TV still doesn't turn off maybe it has something to do with the soundbar. My Joeys and Hoppers green lite stays on for about five minutes once they are put in standby mode.

Shoot Ethan, you are correct. I waited after tv and sound bar were off. Then, the green light on Joey turned itself off After about 50-60 seconds. I grabbed the old remote, 52, and did the same thing. I turned on tv and sound bar with Tv power button on remote, then pressed ’select’ on remote. Joey was on. When I pressed power button for Joey on remote, it was off right away and the green light was gone,too. No delay. Dish must have programmed the newest remotes differently. Perhaps, there is a logical reason why such delay exists. I appreciate it.

Double check both the Vizio TV and the remote control CEC settings are enabled. If the TV still doesn't turn off maybe it has something to do with the soundbar. My Joeys and Hoppers green lite stays on for about five minutes once they are put in standby mode.
Thanks Charles. No problem with turning tv and sound bar off. I still checked Joey settings to confirm. Hdmi-CEC is on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts