Unable to view the edges of HD channels

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
under the actual dot by dot mode:

Connect from satellite box directly from HDMI output to the HDMI of the LCD. At aspect ratio of 16 x 9, I missed all the edges on HD channels. (top, bottom, left, and right) So I switch it to 4x3, and I gained back all the edges. But as soon as I switch from a HD channel to another channel (HD or SD) and switch back, I lost the edge.

Then this time, I switch back from 4 x3 to 16 x 9. And I gain back the edge again.

Then if I switch out of that channel to another channel, the above cycle repeats again

On the remote control press the * button on most of them on some it is the page up and down.. That changes it.

I have a Samsung tv and I always leave it in "just scan" mode because putting it in "16:9" causes me to miss out the edges as well.

He said he is doing that though. (Dot by Dot is Just Scan)

Is it possible Dot By Dot isn't sticking? Is there some setting overlooked to make it stay at Dot By Dot? Also, be sure the format mode from the Dish remote is set to normal for SD.

If you are on an SD channel and you want it stretched, you can change the format on the Dish Receiver to HD stretch - not SD stretch. This is because connecting via HDMI tells the TV it is HD, even though it is not. But, the receiver is smart enough to know when it is SD or not, and will stretch the SD picture if set to HD stretch only if it is an SD picture. When you switch to an actual HD picture, it will go to HD Normal. Put the SD mode to normal.

Last edited:
He said he is doing that though. (Dot by Dot is Just Scan)

Is it possible Dot By Dot isn't sticking? Is there some setting overlooked to make it stay at Dot By Dot? Also, be sure the format mode from the Dish remote is set to normal for SD.

exactly what do you push the remote to set normal for SD?

For SD just push the Pg/Dn button until it says "Normal".
For HD just push the Pg/Up button until it says "Normal".
This is for Vip receivers, not sure about the non Vips.....
The "Star" button should do the same thing.

The page up/down does not work on some receivers. Works on my 211 but not the 722. Did at one time, but that was disabled in a software upgrade.

The page up/down does not work on some receivers. Works on my 211 but not the 722. Did at one time, but that was disabled in a software upgrade.

You are right, I stand corrected. Page up/dn also works on my 211k but not my 722. I tried it in both single/dual mode.... no go!
The star button still works though:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)