Undecided on what to do about my problems

banin1

Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
BFE, OK
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I really don't know what I want to do. I have a 722K receiver and for the most part it does what its supposed to. On-Demand stuff that is downloaded through my internet connection is pretty much unusable. If I don't watch it the same day that I downloaded it then it disappears. I know that it's a known issue and I've consigned myself to never being able to use it. The UHF remote barely works through the one wall that exists between the receiver and the bedroom. I have to press buttons several times and find the sweet spot that is about 12 inches from the tv in my bedroom and pointed in a southeasterly direction somewhat toward the floor. I'd really like to be lazy and lay in bed and watch tv and not have to get up and perform a circus act to change the channel.

With all the woe is me talk out of the way, I've been trying to decide whether to make the jump back to Directv or try to upgrade to the Hopper. I had Directv about 5 years ago and didn't have any problems with their service I just got a better deal with Dish when I moved into my new house. Should I contact Dish and see what they can do? Thanks guys.

I doubt that a move to D* will fix the UHF problem.

I would complain vociferously over the On Demand bit. This is money out of their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah I would see if they would work with you and upgrade to the Hopper with Sling its a great device. :)

Or just re-orient or relocate the remote's antenna from the back of the receiver. The solution I came up with to fix my UHF remote was to connect a pair of rabbit-ears that I wasn't using for anything else. Now I get to stay warm in my bed while I watch tv.

:D

I just put some coax between my old 722 and the antenna which I place behind some objects on a bookshelf about 6 ft from the receiver. Worked well. But, that said, the Hopper with sling is far superior to the 722. If you have more than 1 tv, a Joey would give you hd on them and they would have their own remotes.

You can also use two splitters and run the antenna right to your TV. That being said, I would never go back to a 722 after having a Hopper w/Sling.

Or just re-orient or relocate the remote's antenna from the back of the receiver. The solution I came up with to fix my UHF remote was to connect a pair of rabbit-ears that I wasn't using for anything else. Now I get to stay warm in my bed while I watch tv.

:D

+1

Did the same with both my 722K & 722 a long time ago. $5 cheapo dollar store ones. Works great!

Ed

Agreed, the remote issue is easily corrected.

As far as HWS, it is a far superior receiver, the downside would be that it will require an additional 2 year commitment unless you purchase the equipment.

If you're out of contract, I would try calling, explain you would like to cancel because you can't afford it, etc, and could get better pricing as a new customer or from a different provider. As long as your account is in good standing, they will more than likely give you some kind of a credit. Get that credit locked in for a year or whatever, and THEN discuss upgrading/extending your contract.

As far as HWS, it is a far superior receiver, the downside would be that it will require an additional 2 year commitment unless you purchase the equipment.

And higher cost/mo, and missing features such as inability to watch programs off the EHD via Sling.

I can't remember what it's called,even though I have it for my 722k,but I have this device,put out by Dish,that allows me to control my tv2 via IR. I plug it into the wall where my second tv is,aim my remote at the little black sensor that I attach to my tv,& the channel is changed,no problem. Claude Greiner(hope I spelled his name right) use to sell it when he was selling Dish receivers & accessories. It was even featured as a first look here on Satelliteguys maybe 3-4 years ago. It was a remote control accessory.

And higher cost/mo, and missing features such as inability to watch programs off the EHD via Sling.

This is true but didn't they remove that a while back from the 722k receivers as well? I had a 722k for quite some time and sometime last year (can't remember just when) I lost the ability to watch programs stored on my EHD. The EHD still worked fine while I watched at home but I was limited to watching programs on the internal hard drive while watching it through the web app or the Dish Anywhere app.

The UHF remote barely works through the one wall that exists between the receiver and the bedroom. I have to press buttons several times and find the sweet spot that is about 12 inches from the tv in my bedroom and pointed in a southeasterly direction somewhat toward the floor. I'd really like to be lazy and lay in bed and watch tv and not have to get up and perform a circus act to change the channel.

Perhaps you have an electronic device near the antenna that is emitting RF interference. Two or three years ago, out of the blue I started having the same problem even though the remote antenna is mounted on the wall behind my TV and attached to the Dish receiver via coax. It turned out that the problem was a digital picture frame that my wife had set up next to the TV. RF interference from the frame was disrupting the remote signal. I unplugged the frame and the problem was solved.

I can't remember what it's called,even though I have it for my 722k,but I have this device,put out by Dish,that allows me to control my tv2 via IR. I plug it into the wall where my second tv is,aim my remote at the little black sensor that I attach to my tv,& the channel is changed,no problem. Claude Greiner(hope I spelled his name right) use to sell it when he was selling Dish receivers & accessories. It was even featured as a first look here on Satelliteguys maybe 3-4 years ago. It was a remote control accessory.

Here's what I was talking about

DISH Network TV2 IR Converter Kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISH-Network-TV2-IR-Converter-Kit-/190522888292

Also on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-IR-converter-kit/dp/B00CEJC2J2?tag=donations09-20

And here is the SatelliteGuys thread on it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/178038-First-Look-TV2-IR-Converter-Kit

This is true but didn't they remove that a while back from the 722k receivers as well? I had a 722k for quite some time and sometime last year (can't remember just when) I lost the ability to watch programs stored on my EHD. The EHD still worked fine while I watched at home but I was limited to watching programs on the internal hard drive while watching it through the web app or the Dish Anywhere app.
Nope. Not removed, at least for me. I still Sling programs off the EHD daily. Nice to have your entire archive in addition to what's on the internal available for remote viewing, would hate to give that up. The only thing I notice on the DA website is that shows archived from channels that changed numbers (like AMC before it came back after the dispute) don't show up. The older shows still show up for me in the mobile apps though.

This has come up in a number of threads. When I talked to DIRT about this after I got my original Hopper, I was told that that was a software glitch in the 722. Please bring back that glitch.

I doubt that a move to D* will fix the UHF problem. I would complain vociferously over the On Demand bit. This is money out of their pocket. Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It will because your getting a separate receiver at each tv. The UHF on dtv is room specific and your not trying to control the receiver from the other side of the house

Sorry for the long absence, I was out of town. Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm probably going to contact Dish and see if they'll give me the same deals that they offer new customers in exchange for a 2 year contract. What happens then will depend on what they say.

Thanks again for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts