Understanding 722 setup

reseman5

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Currently we have a 722 with hooked to 1 tv so that we can record multiple shows in HD. We also have a 322 functioning for 3 (2 HD) other tvs.

We are moving and having new installation done. I've been thinking about having the 722 hooked up in the living room as it is currently & also a secondary HDTV. Would I still be able to record 2 shows in HD? Could the second tv receive HD programming when TV1 isn't in use? Can I access the DVR programs while viewing TV2?

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading from the 322 to a HD duo receiver so that I can receive HD on a 3rd tv & SD on the other (it is our daughter's room & doesn't get watched much).

Overall is this my best setup or are there better alternatives? Thanks!

The 722 receivers only do one TV in HD. Both can record in dual mode, but only one HD show at a time. Whichever TV has the HDMI/Component cables hooked up will broadcast HD (Only 1 port on the receivers). If you upgraded your 322 to a hd duo (222) then you would have a second TV in HD and 2 SD. For the 3 TV's in HD you would need a third receiver.

The 722 receivers only do one TV in HD. Both can record in dual mode, but only one HD show at a time. Whichever TV has the HDMI/Component cables hooked up will broadcast HD (Only 1 port on the receivers).
I dispute several of your claims:

The ViP722 can record two HD programs at once as long as long as at least two tuners are connected to their respective signal sources.

The ViP722 can supply TV1 to two HDTVs using both the HDMI and component connections (I note that this may not work forever with "protected" content).

TV2 has never been a reasonable option for a respectable HDTV.

I dispute several of your claims:

The ViP722 can record two HD programs at once as long as long as at least two tuners are connected to their respective signal sources.

The ViP722 can supply TV1 to two HDTVs using both the HDMI and component connections (I note that this may not work forever with "protected" content).

TV2 has never been a reasonable option for a respectable HDTV.

Thanks for correcting that. I've been recording 2 shows in HD for the last year so I knew that was a possibility.

I take it that I have to decide whether I want both feeds into just 1 tv so that I can continue recording 2 HD shows or have 2 tvs setup & only 1 HD feed? I can't have both? The 2nd TV is about 40-50 feet away, so I'm unsure if component cables could carry the signal that far.

It seems my best bet might be to leave the 722 as is (only 1 tv) and use the new 222 to gain HD to 1 tv and the other 2 will remain in SD. Does that seem right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)