Understanding Satellites used by zip

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arpboy

Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
iowa
This is my first post to this website so please be gentle.

I live in zip code 50105 and have been a Dish Network subscriber for over 7 years.

We currently have a 622 VIP DVR which "sees" satellites 110, 119, and 129.

Our HD locals are on 61.5 but we have not installed a second dish to receive them.

My understanding is that our hd locals are also uploaded to Ciel2 but are not currently available to customers.

When I input my zip at the dish retailer site (cannot post url as this is my first post), it returns the following:

1 Records Found (displaying 1 to 1)

EASTERN ARC DMA, DISH 1000.4 and MPEG 4 Equipment Only.
Des Moines-Ames IA, 50105

Apparently Eastern ARC refers to a 61.5, 72, and 77 satellite combination while 110, 119, and 129 are referred to as the Western ARC.

Why would the site show my zip in the Eastern ARC if I actually use the Western ARC satellites? Does anyone know if the Ciel2 satellite will eventually provide HD locals for the Des Moines Iowa location ?

Thanks.

Eastern arc is relatively new. When your system was installed you probably had a dish 500 for 110/119, and then later added a second dish for HD at 129. Now your locals are on 61.5, making your area Eastern arc. Dish will upgrade you if you call and tell them you want your locals in HD. If they want to charge you, tell them you're switching to Direct and they'll probably do it for free. The other option is to just re-point the 129 dish to 61.5.

As far as the HD locals for Des Moines on the 129 satellite, it appears that they are not actually uploaded there yet. There are "placeholders" in the table for the 129 satellite. I will also be moving to the area in a few months. Some others have expressed the hope that since the locals are listed on the 129 satellite, DISH will eventually upload them and then have them available on both 61.5 and 129. The delay might be getting the fiber line in place to the upload site for the 129 satellite. DISH is not too transparent with their plans, so no one knows when or if they will turn on the HD's from the 129 bird. I hope they will do it soon.

Thanks for the information.

How does one tell whether certain channels are "placeholders" versus actually uploaded?

Thanks for the information.

How does one tell whether certain channels are "placeholders" versus actually uploaded?

There are some users here (like Digiblur, I think) who can measure bandwidth and tell.

What I meant was they are uplinked but not available yet. I'n not an expert and may have the terminology wrong. I consider anything uplinked but not available yet as a placeholder.

You can see the list of uplinked channels here
SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)