Unethical Behavior?

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
This kind of ruffles my feathers a bit. Back in the summer, I was talking to my father (about 100 miles from me) on the phone, and he was expressing an interest in switching from D* to E*. I send him a referral packet so that we both would benefit. Well, I never here anything one way or another.

Last night we talked and he asked if I ever got my $50 credit. I said no, and he precedes to tell me his story. He signed up via the 888 number printed on the referral, way back in September. Get this...the agent told him that he didn't need ANY of the info from the referral card, only my phone number. My dad is 71 years old and was told several things that didn't pan out, and he is furious with the way they lied to him. Now he is in a two year contract and he says when it expires, or if he can get out of it, he's gone. The price of E* is cheaper than D*, but he's pretty pissed.

E* has always treated me well, but, whoever the agent was that took advantage of him, and crapped us both out of our credits, should be whooped.

Is it possible your Dad gave them a phone number OTHER than the one registered to your account?

Dish can get to your account based on your telephone number, but as pointed out by KAB, it has to be the number of record on your account.

It's hard to talk on the phone, cause he doesn't know all of the lingo, sat terms, billing terms and such. He doesn't do computers or internet. He said that they charged him $5 to call that 888 number, which I'm sure is not correct. I guess it would have been good if I could have been there to help complete his order, and would love to have seen his first bill. Oh well.

My Dad, who is 85 makes me make all his tech calls for him. He threw in the towel years ago after several screw-ups.

I do all the calls and upgrades and installs as well as pay the bills on my parents account and my aunt's. I have three accounts and they are my second and third account. They pay me the money in my account and I pay their bills by credit card. If I let my family deal with DISH on any of the above , they would cancel the first time they dealt with a csr that didn't know what they were talking about. The older they get , the less patience they seem to have.

I'm the same way with my dad and grandma. If they have any issues or questions with Dish I call for them. Its just easier :)

The referral or "club dish" is a massive joke. I run into screwups and concerns like yours all of the dam time. Unless the club dish gets added to the original work order/install...its not going to happen. Sometimes people give me (the tech) the info as if I am going to do something with it. Sometimes they say they need the other persons name/addy/ph no/ and account number. Its really a joke, and is always a different story, like most things dish.

I have used these two times. Too much of a hassle to get them to apply it and get paid. Just got 3 more referral cards in the mail and trashed them.

The referral or "club dish" is a massive joke. I run into screwups and concerns like yours all of the dam time. Unless the club dish gets added to the original work order/install...its not going to happen. Sometimes people give me (the tech) the info as if I am going to do something with it. Sometimes they say they need the other persons name/addy/ph no/ and account number. Its really a joke, and is always a different story, like most things dish.

Go search the Direct forum on this issue. Even worse over there.

dont need to. Since I am in the D* area I see threads like that. Most of them that dont work the person did not call the right number.

And heck I even had one the person called in after the order was created (and before install) and got it added :)

Well, Icey, I have visited you side many times and have read the complaints. Whatever your next comeback may be won't change things.

I had a different result this year. I've only ever done one referral. The submission was done online. It took five monthly calls for them to actually provide the stated benefits of the referral. Each month the CSR acknowledged that they saw it had been submitted and I would "see it on my bill in 4 to 6 weeks." I submitted it in December 2009 and started calling about it at the end of January. I didn't get the credit or PPVs until June. Had I not badgered them about it I never would have got it.

Why are we arguing which provider is worse at honoring referrals? Does it really matter? The important thing is both should honor their deals and both should take care of their offers when something was done incorrectly. If the mistake is at the end of the customer, then that may be a different issue all together and they just may be SOL

The important thing is both should honor their deals and both should take care of their offers when something was done incorrectly. If the mistake is at the end of the customer, then that may be a different issue all together and they just may be SOL

:up
I agree

I had a different result this year. I've only ever done one referral. The submission was done online. It took five monthly calls for them to actually provide the stated benefits of the referral. Each month the CSR acknowledged that they saw it had been submitted and I would "see it on my bill in 4 to 6 weeks." I submitted it in December 2009 and started calling about it at the end of January. I didn't get the credit or PPVs until June. Had I not badgered them about it I never would have got it.
I sent a DM over to the Twitter team. I guess we'll see if anything can/will be done. :)

Last year I had 3 referrals that showed redeemed in my account, but I wasn't getting credit for them. I emailed, chatted, called many, many times and they never resolved it so I gave up. I could understand not using the right phone number or some other logical error. But it my case they showed up online in my account as redeemed but they wanted me to provide name, address, phone and acct # for each of those numbers...and I didn't remember who I gave what referral too. So for me it was great for a while and I got many credits...maybe too many since they seemed to stop crediting my account. So I stopped referring. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts