Uneven black side bars with 4x3 signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Crumb_Snatcher

Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I just noticed recently that the black side bars are not even in size when viewing 4x3 material that is not stretched. The black bar on the right side is wider than the one on the left side. Does any know why this is happening? Is this something that just started with the 2.67 update? I've just noticed it recently. I have my 811 hooked up via DVI to a Hitachi 50v500 LCD RP-HDTV.

I've noticed this on a couple stations, but not all of them. I also once in a while get a 4:3 signal that is larger than normal, but not full widescreen.

The only time I notice the uneven black bars consistantly is when I go into the setup screens, my picture is ALWAYS off to the left when I am in setup.

Crumb_Snatcher said:
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I just noticed recently that the black side bars are not even in size when viewing 4x3 material that is not stretched. The black bar on the right side is wider than the one on the left side. Does any know why this is happening? Is this something that just started with the 2.67 update? I've just noticed it recently. I have my 811 hooked up via DVI to a Hitachi 50v500 LCD RP-HDTV.

Have you tried using the "Adjust" feature on the HD setup screen on the 811?

Yes, the 811 has an "Adjust" feature in the HDTV setup menu. Also, many TV's have adjustments for picture position too. Add those in with the fact that OTA digital SD on an HD carrier can be positioned by the broadcast station and you have three variables to account for the offset picture.

Crumb_Snatcher said:

I have the same TV, and had the exact same thing happen when I first hooked up via DVI. The "adjust" setting in the HD setup on the 811 fixes it.

Crumb_Snatcher said:

I have the same TV, and had the exact same thing happen when I first hooked up via DVI. The "adjust" setting in the HD setup on the 811 fixes it.

Why is it then it only happens on the following channels for me? DIY, MTV, TLC, and locals from dish, but not OTA? The Adjust feature didn't do anything other then center those channels and offset the remaining ones.

This sounds similar to an issue in the 921 that's quite noticable when using GrayBars. It varies by channel because the content provider's equipment timing varies.

DWS44 said:

Cool DWS44.....I will try this tonight. Hey, got a question for you since you have the same tv. Kinda off the topic, but how do you like the standard resolution Dish channels' PQ on your 50v500 via DVI & component? I noticed that a lot of channels are soft and images are washed out. I've tried to calibrate my tv with AVIA, but that makes the picture too dark. Just curious to know what your thoughts are on this. HD channels look awesome and couldn't be any happier. Hey, I recently got the Zenith dvb318 dvd player ($160) that can output 720p and 1080i via component and DVI. It also has the faroudja deinterlacer chip on it too. DVDs look amazing with this dvd player hooked up to the Hitachi. The 720p output on the dvd isn't that good, but the 1080i is fabulous. It almost rivals some HD broadcasts. check it out.

DWS44 said:

I have a Samsung DLP hooked to the 811 via DVI, when I use the "adjust" the little window (that says press left or right...) never moves, it just blinks, but the picture never changes, I concluded that it only works with an analog connection, was I wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)