Unimesh Dish Shape

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dbshelton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2008
Kountze,Texas
I decided to dig out a 10' Unimesh dish that I took down years ago. Unfortunately a large tree limb fell on it a long time ago. 2 sections are perfect, but 2 have some damage to them. I'm pretty sure I can re-shape the framework but there are a few tears in the mesh. My question is just how close does the shape have to be for this dish to be usable?

After taking the 4 sections apart, It looks like It's not going to be a big deal to re-shape the framework. I'll cut out a plywood profile from a good section to use. I think I can straighten A lot of the bent mesh area and possibly "Sew" it back together with some fine aluminum wire. Maybe I can order a sheet of mesh that is real close and use it to patch the rest. I think it's worth a try.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on repairing it considering you can probably find another 10 footer for little or nothing in your area. Better price alum mesh before you get too involved. Last I priced must have been 'gold plated'. :rolleyes:

But if you can save it ... great. Good luck!

I decided to dig out a 10' Unimesh dish that I took down years ago. Unfortunately a large tree limb fell on it a long time ago. 2 sections are perfect, but 2 have some damage to them. I'm pretty sure I can re-shape the framework but there are a few tears in the mesh. My question is just how close does the shape have to be for this dish to be usable?

Do you have any pictures of the damage? That dish is a good performer so I think you will be fine with some imperfections. Both of my mesh dishes in service have mesh damage and they work well.

After taking the 4 sections apart, It looks like It's not going to be a big deal to re-shape the framework. I'll cut out a plywood profile from a good section to use. I think I can straighten A lot of the bent mesh area and possibly "Sew" it back together with some fine aluminum wire. Maybe I can order a sheet of mesh that is real close and use it to patch the rest. I think it's worth a try.
I had one rib get kinked on one of the 10' unimesh dishes i moved, And i did exactly what you described and hammered it back with a rubber mallet then reinforced the area on either side of the kink. Once i finished re assembling it i did the string test and everything worked out ok. I also sewed up several tears in the mesh, i used picture frame wire and just took individual strands off the wire to use to sew it up. works ok. This dish never did ku very well, mostly at the top of the arc c-band works fine, but i have another unimesh dish that has no tears, and nearly perfect mesh ill swap out this spring and retry ku on it. Id say if you get it pretty close and sew all the tears up it ought to do ok on c-band.

Getting close to making the dish repairs but the scaler ring is damaged. Anyone know where I can get a flat scaler ring for a BSC 621 ? Or should I just get another LNB and feed horn.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts