Universal HD - Gone Next Week?

drsiebling

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
So, now that the olympics are almost over, will those of us still unlucky enough to be running on "obsolete" mpeg 2 equpment lose the channel? It's been great getting to see Battlestar Galactica and Quantum Leap in HD, but I'm afraid that I'll be back to waiting until April to see anything else on UNi HD.

Anyone?

Noone knows for sure, but everything Dish has said indicates that the channel will go away on old HD receivers when the Olympics are finished. I would think it might stay up until the uplink day after this weekend (possibly wednesday?)

Also, this will mean you will need a dish pointed at 61.5 or 129 after the olympics, as right now Universal HD is transmitting off 110 temporarily.

It will definitely move off 110, they have to get back the transponder for E10 which will be moving that way in a few weeks. Right now there are 2 UHDs on MPEG-4 receivers, I expect that the MPEG-2 one will go away.

That's a damn shame... I was really enjoying the channel. I guess once April 1st rolls around and I get my install date set for October, then everything will be just fine. :mad:

drsiebling said:
That's a damn shame... I was really enjoying the channel. I guess once April 1st rolls around and I get my install date set for October, then everything will be just fine. :mad:

I doubt that Dish will ever put up a channel again on a temporary basis. Too many people seem to get upset that the channel will disappear, even though they knew it would from the beginning.

Technically there are no events left on Universal HD, so right now having UNI-HD is a bonus

As far as what I have seen (including the Borelympics) the channel is, in my opinion a waste.

Battlestar Galactica is very cool to have in HD... Quantum Leap is nice as well. I can do without Knight Rider.

I've watched a few of the olympics hockey games on it, and also have been watching Medical Investigation(I like it). Thats the only show that I will miss once they take it off the MPEG2 recievers.

There's enough content that interests me for me to wish it were staying around.

They have some decent movies, "They Live", "House Calls", "The Frighteners" and more. Plus coverage of the International Auto Show and the aforementioned Battlestar Galactica.

I believe their last 2006 Winter Olympics coverage is Sunday night. So it may be flipped off by midnight on Sunday.

Watched almost all the hockey games in HD, it was a treat for me.
Finally there was never any problems guessing where the puck the puck was:)
Too bad Universal is going tho.

How come they have Battlestar Gallactica but not the two Stargate shows?

I had heard something previously that made it sound like all the shows share the same production facility.

I would love to have my Friday night Sci Fi in HD. Scifi is one of the worst channels to watch on Dish on my TV...it seems to come through at lower than normal quality.

dwcobb - I totally agree with you. I took a quick look at the schedule and it seems like Night Rider is on all the time and Battlestar is on like once a week. I don't understand that at all! You'd think they would at least air something new like Battlestar add-nauseum instead of "oldies" like Night Rider.

On the bright side, one of my locals (fox25), is now offered as one of the Boston HD locals on 61.5. They play Stargate SG1 a few times a week so at least I'll get that. My wife was watching StarGate SG1 on fox this morning, and I had the pleasure of telling her it's the last time she'll have to watch those Sat morning epsidodes in SD - 622 upgrade happening next week!!!

Last I heard Sci-Fi still has no plans on going HD. Why doesn't Universal HD pick up more stuff from them???

Universal owns BSG so it's logical for them to show it on their own HD channel. Plus it's still young enough that it isn't syndicated yet. Stargate is MGM/Sony and is syndicated. The local stations that bought it may have exclusive rights in their market. So it would be difficult to put on a national channel. I assume that MGM makes much more money through nation wide syndicated than it would on a fairly new channel like UniHD.

None of which explains why Sci-fi, a channel loaded with original wide screen movies, hasn't gone HD.

RobbinM that is my question - why not SciFi HD? I'd love to watch BSG in HD - but first runs, not the few month delayed episodes that show up on UNIHD. That makes me much less interested in UNIHD.

mike123abc said:
It will definitely move off 110, they have to get back the transponder for E10 which will be moving that way in a few weeks. Right now there are 2 UHDs on MPEG-4 receivers, I expect that the MPEG-2 one will go away.
It's on 110? Which transponder?

It's a great channel. Hope they keep it. I like seeing QUANTAM LEAP (even though I've seen them all) in HD as well as THE EQUALIZER, a series I missed back in '85.
Then there are movies now and then and although quite old offer us a chance to see films that Blockbuster has long since cut up into Ukelele picks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)