Universal Remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Anyone had any luck with Universal remotes?

I have a Fortec Lifetime Ultra, amongst other things (2x Dish 622, TV, DVD, and VCR) and I would rather go with just one remote.

I have to find one that will run the FTA system....otherwise, not gonna do it.

Please share your experiences! Thanks!

Pansat 3500 comes with a remote that acts like a universal... you can use it to turn on/off tvs, vcrs, etc. I used it for our tv, but it kept forgetting that it had tv setting in it so we had to keep reprogramming it. I think it might have gotten dropped a few too many times too since the tv/radio button stopped working too... I just ordered a new remote today from ebay. Hopefully it's in better shape.

I think he is looking for something that can control ALL of it :)

Some of those higher end "learning" remotes seem to work.

There are periodic deals on the Logitech Harmony remotes lately.

Amazon had the Harmony 628 for $37 shipped just yesterday.

I picked up a Harmony 880 for $138 less a $20 rebate. I've seen deals under $100 for this remote.

Keep an eye on slickdeals.net / fatwallet.com.

if/when you do find a universal remote to do it, be sure to read or download the manual before you buy. A lot of universals only work with brand x, y, and z, but not a, b, or even c. We lost the tv remote a long while back. We've been using the old DirecTV remote to control the tv since then. It was nice having the tv and pansat on one remote for a while. Someday, maybe one company will make fta receivers, tvs, vcrs, and make one ring to control them all.

I have a One For All URC 8901 learning remote which controls Coolsat, TV,VCR, Hometheatre, DVD recorder. It's less than $30 (I bought it at Best Buy). They have excellent support. Call OFA customer support and find out if they can program it for Fortec.

Last edited:
FWIW, the difference between the Harmony remotes and a 'normal' universal remote is that the Harmony remotes are activity based and they remember device states.

Hit 'Watch Fortec' the TV turns on, TV switches to input 1, the Fortec comes on, and your AC3 capable receiver turns on. You then want to watch your dish network box so you hit 'watch Dish Network' and the Fortec box turns off, the TV switches to input 2 (wherever you told it dish is at) and the Dish box turns on. If you are using your stereo for the dish box too, the input is selected. If not, it's turned off. Hit the main power button and anything that was on turns off.

It's pretty cool. I haven't quite retired the Tivo peanut remote yet (can use this one blindfolded) but for everything else but I really like the Harmony.

I like that the Harmony can learn remote codes and you can re-map the buttons to do whatever you want. If you don't like how they mapped the buttons, you can fix it however you like. I wish I had this remote when I was messing with my old c-band receivers.

I'm currently controlling the 4DTV, a Tivo, DVD player, AV Receiver, my TV, and my XTR8 Sirius with the Harmony.

Last edited:
I use a Kameleon One For All URC-6690 6 Device Remote Control, got it on clearance (at walmart) for $20. It controls my TV, Satworks 3618, RCA Receiver (not sure of model), Ilo DVD Recorder, and Liteon DVD Recorder.

It will learn commands (I had to use this feature on the satworks and the ilo), and its nice to have 1 remote to do everything from (vs the 5 it replaced).

^thanks guys!

I was thinking of getting Harmony, but then I decided against it until getting opinions here. I would hate to get a remote that didn't do what I needed!

Thanks again!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)