Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Figured I'd post it in both Directv and Dish areas since its on both

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2015/10/21/universal.aspx

The Universal Sports TV channel is shutting down next month after nearly a decade in operation. NBC execs told the channel’s approximately 75 employees during an early morning meeting in L.A. today. The channel, which is majority owned by InterMedia Partners, notified distributors that its signal would be taken down Nov. 16. NBC, which holds a minority stake in the channel, will pick up the channel’s portfolio of Olympic sports rights.

Doesn't surprise me. I really liked watching that channel for the running and swimming competitions they had on it. Back when this used to be an OTA subchannel, there were replays of previous NBC Olympic broadcasts and it was good to watch some of those great moments. Will be interesting to see where those niche things like running, swimming, and biking competitions will go, if even aired at all. So out of the 4 channels I would love for Dish to add, I guess I am down to 3 now!

Used to watch it occasionally when it was FTA in the NBC distribution mux on 103W. Never watched it on Dish, because as I don't like most sports I wasn't going to pay for their sports pack for one channel. In fact, I used to complain here that it should've been bundled as a basic channel instead of a premium one.

Doesn’t make sense to keep the channel when you could just move all the content to NBCSN. Plus this gives NBCSN content to fill the overnight hours instead of airing infomercials.

Reactions: Elkview
Doesn’t make sense to keep the channel when you could just move all the content to NBCSN. Plus this gives NBCSN content to fill the overnight hours instead of airing infomercials.
They probably get more money on the infomercials. Which of course begs the question, why is it legal to air infomercials on channels that are being paid for.

Reactions: papachops
So, you want a law to outlaw infomercials on cable/satellite.

Better yet, lets pass a law outlawing dumb programs - oops there goes nearly the whole NBC family.

So, you want a law to outlaw infomercials on cable/satellite.

Better yet, lets pass a law outlawing dumb programs - oops there goes nearly the whole NBC family.
..and CBS, and ABC, and FOX, and DISC, and TLC, and HIST, and SYFY, and...

Reactions: TheKrell
Which of course begs the question, why is it legal to air infomercials on channels that are being paid for.
Speaking of infomercials, the one that I find funny is when they show on the RSN's the infomercial for that Clear TV antenna (we've joked about it in the OTA area)

They probably get more money on the infomercials. Which of course begs the question, why is it legal to air infomercials on channels that are being paid for.
Because customers keep paying higher and higher prices in order to keep those channels that have infomercials on them. USA, last I checked was the top watched channel on TV, yet from something like midnight to 6 am is nothing but infomercials.

Reactions: rcman2
Speaking of infomercials, the one that I find funny is when they show on the RSN's the infomercial for that Clear TV antenna (we've joked about it in the OTA area)
Of topic, but have you seen the Career College Infomercials where they have hip-hop dancing nurses using bed pans and all sorts of crazy "Fame" like dancing and they are supposed to be training people for careers in MEDICINE as support techs and people in health care. That 30 minute commercial is a HOOT and strangely entertaining!
Off topic, I know, but NOTHING beats the American Career College medical infomercial. Dancing and prancing med career youngsters doin it to the beat. It is absolutely COMICAL and yet strangley entertaining! It's a RIOT!!! I try to never post links, but you must see for yourself. I think they even use a bedpan as a dancing prop in the longer version.

USA, last I checked was the top watched channel on TV, yet from something like midnight to 6 am is nothing but infomercials.
Just a couple of years ago USA had some good programming, like "Burn Notice" and "In Plain Sight", but not today. If it wasn't for NCIS reruns they could rename it the SLEAZE network. :thumbdown

Just a couple of years ago USA had some good programming, like "Burn Notice" and "In Plain Sight", but not today. If it wasn't for NCIS reruns they could rename it the SLEAZE network. :thumbdown
They have a couple of good shows left, but I agree they have slipped in original programming. (Always watched In Plain Sight and Burn Notice)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts