Univision Deportes Dropped as Dish Dispute Widens

Do we know what the number of Latino subscribers is? It looks to me like Dish is making up the $5 price reduction with the $5 they're no longer paying Univision. A fair trade-off I would think. Subscribers don't pay the $5 and Dish doesn't either.
I can tell you this much: they will have one fewer Latino subscriber after I switch base packages. Welcome Pack does not qualify for Latino Bonus Pack, so I could not keep that add-on even if I wanted to do so.

Reactions: NYDutch
Let us not forget that Univision viewership was in decline. There doesn’t seem to have been a huge reaction against dropping it. There are alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Okay, so it is not quite as bad as I thought. The elimination of the $5 per month Univision credit for Latino Bonus Pack comes with a $5 per month reduction to the regular price, so the price of that package remains the same. However, the new wrinkle is that there will be a $3 per month increase for Flex Pack, and a chance to get grandfathered for a $4 per month savings on Welcome Pack by switching before the deadline. I have always said that any price increase on Flex Pack would cause me to switch back to Welcome Pack, and the incentive to go ahead and switch now is greater than it has ever been. If I get to keep the separate $10 per month credit for 12 months that Dish agreed to give me, even after switching to Welcome Pack, then that would be a significant reduction to my Dish bill for the remainder of the 12 months until that credit runs out.

Will my Welcome Pack price go up since I already have it?

Will my Welcome Pack price go up since I already have it?
The way I read the chart in the other thread, your price will go up by $3 per month to the new price of $25.99 per month. However, anyone who switches to Welcome Pack after 1/15/2019 would pay $29.99 per month, so existing subscribers (or those who switch before the deadline) would see a $4 per month savings compared to someone who waits to switch.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
If there is a $5 increase coming in 2019, I think more will jump ship. We lose channels and we may more. That is not fair. I could understand an increase if Dish kept Univision, HBO, etc and we had to pay more. The always excuse is that Dish has these disputes to keep our pricing down. Okay, if that is the case, then Dish does not have the channel, and we continue to pay more? Where is a logic in that? I read a lot about the cord cutters and they pay much less. I am hoping as more channels are available in streaming packages, I can move in that direction in time, if prices continue to go up, especially with the loss of channels.

I have been saying that for years.

If your going to raise the rates anyways, just pay the price increase for the channel and pass the costs to the customer.

The smart thing Dish could do right now is say no price increases for 2019 due to the programming disputes. Thank you for being a dish customer and thank you for standing behind us while we fight to keep prices down.

But if they raise rates anyways, these disputes are nothing more than putting more money in their pockets.

So glad I don’t sell dish anymore and have to be in the middle with my customers when it comes to programming disputes.

The smart thing Dish could do right now is say no price increases for 2019 due to the programming disputes. Thank you for being a dish customer and thank you for standing behind us while we fight to keep prices down.

But if they raise rates anyways, these disputes are nothing more than putting more money in their pockets.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you. If the disputes were truly about "defending the customer," then those savings should be passed on. At least this time they should be.

My parents are jumping ship after their current billing cycle ends (December 27). Their loyalty credits are falling off and Dish won't renew them. They are going to Directv Now. My brother and I are buying them 2 Fire Sticks for Christmas to get it done.

When I called to schedule the disconnect this afternoon, the representative was very insulting and demeaning. He claimed that Dish had "invested" thousands of dollars into my parents' account over the course of the 20 years they have been customers by providing loyalty credits.

When I told him which service they were switching to he said they were making a bad decision. He then refused to terminate the account. I had to ask for a supervisor to get it done. I was shocked by the experience.

In all the years I have been a Dish customer, I've never sensed so much desperate intestinal fortitude from Retentions as I did today. And the fact he refused to disconnect service and insulted me and my family was completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dishdude
I'm afraid I have to agree with you. If the disputes were truly about "defending the customer," then those savings should be passed on. At least this time they should be.

My parents are jumping ship after their current billing cycle ends (December 27). Their loyalty credits are falling off and Dish won't renew them. They are going to Directv Now. My brother and I are buying them 2 Fire Sticks for Christmas to get it done.

When I called to schedule the disconnect this afternoon, the representative was very insulting and demeaning. He claimed that Dish had "invested" thousands of dollars into my parents' account over the course of the 20 years they have been customers by providing loyalty credits.

When I told him which service they were switching to he said they were making a bad decision. He then refused to terminate the account. I had to ask for a supervisor to get it done. I was shocked by the experience.

In all the years I have been a Dish customer, I've never sensed so much desperate intestinal fortitude from Retentions as I did today. And the fact he refused to disconnect service and insulted me and my family was completely unacceptable.

What!

That sounds like what AOL used to do when you tried to cancel.

BTW, I don’t agree with Dish investing thousands of dollars. After 18 months it’s all profit for the provider.

I probably sign up again for the 2 year contract to save $$, but at the end I hope the streaming packages will offer more channels. Some have cut the cord, but I have been reluctant to do it as yet. I may not anyway, just cut down to a smaller package getting channels that are not available streaming. Who knows in 2 years? 3.0 should be going by then so more OTA offerings should available too. I still like having the Super Stations and am grandfathered in. No one else sells them in the US. Another reason to stay with Dish. Plus I like the $10 movie pack.

Sounds like Dish is getting desperate or at least that CSR. I always tell people if one CSR is hard to get along with, hang up and call back. The old CSR roulette works out pretty well.

I had one service years ago that I streamed on a computer, before the streaming sticks. I tried to cancel the service after the first year only to find, they did not cancel it after telling me they did. I tried a second time and paid another month. After that I was billed again. I called my credit card company and told them about the issue. They tried to cancel the service for me on their end and got the same result. How the issue was solved, was for the credit card company to issue me a new card & number so they could no longer bill me. That worked and the credit card company even reversed the last month of the service for me. Sometimes a consumer has to go to extreme measures.

I had one service years ago that I streamed on a computer, before the streaming sticks. I tried to cancel the service after the first year only to find, they did not cancel it after telling me they did. I tried a second time and paid another month. After that I was billed again. I called my credit card company and told them about the issue. They tried to cancel the service for me on their end and got the same result. How the issue was solved, was for the credit card company to issue me a new card & number so they could no longer bill me. That worked and the credit card company even reversed the last month of the service for me. Sometimes a consumer has to go to extreme measures.
I had to cancel my Bell Expressvu account the same way. Of course, in my case, I was getting that service through a broker, and my broker had been sued and put out of business. Add to that the fact that Bell did a Smart Card swap at that time. My old Smart Card had expired, and I had no way to get a new replacement for it, so I was not even receiving the service that Bell continued to charge me for.

I had to cancel my Bell Expressvu account the same way. Of course, in my case, I was getting that service through a broker, and my broker had been sued and put out of business. Add to that the fact that Bell did a Smart Card swap at that time. My old Smart Card had expired, and I had no way to get a new replacement for it, so I was not even receiving the service that Bell continued to charge me for.

Which one?

I remember going through Tv M and dealing with Cathy.

Eventually I remember her just giving me the account to manage on my own.

I remember my credit card expiring and just forgetting about the account.

It got too expensive anyways. I used to have the theme packs and after the exchange rate it was $22/mo.

Once it went to the $80/mo packages it was no longer affordable.

I remember getting it for the Space channel and for some other reason that I refused to subscribe to Directv at the time.

I remember getting Directv in 2009, paid for it for 3 years before I had to dump dish (because they dumped me) and made it my primary source for tv in my house.

Which one?
Can-Am Satellite. I think they did business as Largo Communications, or something like that. It has been too many years for me to remember the exact name now. I tried calling another broker (Freeway Support International) to see if they could move the receiver to a new account and get me a new Smart Card to get it reactivated, but there was nothing they could do, either. I would have had to start over again with a whole new receiver. I had just gone through that with Largo, right before they went out business, when my old standard-def receiver died and I had to purchase a "new" receiver (which turned out to be an older model HD receiver which was also about to die due to the upcoming Smart Card swap) to replace it. I was not about to purchase another receiver with no assurance that it would continue to work for any significant period of time, so I stopped fooling with Canadian satellite services completely, and never looked back.

Yup, I remember can am, freeway and Tvm.

I don’t think Tvm ever got busted, but saw the writing on the wall and quietly stopped operations.

Speaking of grey market, Dish really didn’t care back in the early days. They only started enforcing things when they realized that people where account stacking and they could crack down and hopefully turn 1 account into 2-3 accounts.

The only thing Dish didn’t consider is their audits irritated a lot of people and they cancelled Dish all together and went with Directv

I used to have Star Choice. I had a friend in Alberta that I bought an HD receiver through him. Since he had a large enough package he could have up to 5 receivers without any extra fee. I had his package until be passed away nearly a year ago. the Dish is still up and the receiver gets what is in open key, which is only 2-3 channels. The old 4DTV receivers got the same open key stuff, since we could not sub to a Canadian company directly from the U.S. I thought about a broker after my friend passed away, but in checking the cost alone for a decent bunch of channels, too expensive. I doubt since the old receiver was tied to my friends old account, I do not think I could authorize it anyway. Add to that with the new channels on Anik G1, where everyone is migrating to, in a few years I may not be able to sub to much. Plus we have much more variety with Dish. A better deal and more channels.

Reactions: pattykay
Finally got my parents and uncle connected online aka now "cordshavers" and they love it. Watching what they want when they want it and no ads. We even got the HBO add-on from Amazon and my uncle likes it better he can watch any movie there on-demand. Now my mother is considering dropping Dish as the price increase, less channels and no sports "she likes baseball" and going with a cordcutting streaming service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts