Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH: Univision Pulls Channels; Demands DISH Hispanic Customers Pay More Despite Ratings Decline; Fourth Major Univision-Driven Blackout in Two Years
June 30, 2018
- Univision demanding rate increases of roughly 75 percent despite ratings plummet of approximately 30 percent
- DISH, DishLATINO and Sling TV offering qualified, affected customers a digital over-the-air (OTA) antenna and installation at no cost
- Marks Univision's fourth takedown with a major pay-TV provider in two years
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., June 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- In an effort to drastically raise rates amid declining viewership, today Univision Communications Inc. blocked DishLATINO and DISH customers from accessing three of its channels: Univision and UniMás (including local affiliates), and Galavisión. Univision has also blocked Sling customers from accessing all of its channels on the service.

Univision is Asking More for Less

Despite ratings for these channels decreasing by approximately 30 percent over the past five years among DISH customers, Univision is demanding rate increases of roughly 75 percent. In fact, ratings for its flagship Univision channel have declined nearly 40 percent since 2012.

"Univision's attempted price hikes target Hispanics despite the fact that fewer members of our community are watching Univision," said Alfredo Rodríguez Diaz-Marta, Vice President of DishLATINO and Sling Latino.

Downward ratings trends are expected to continue. Univision failed to secure rights for the current World Cup, as well as the World Cup in 2022 and 2026, losing out to one of its competitors in domestic Hispanic programming.

"We have served the Hispanic community for nearly 20 years, and as the leading provider of TV packages in English and Spanish, we owe it to our customers to deliver the best content at the best value," said Rodríguez Diaz-Marta. "For example, in the spirit of our 'sigamos haciéndola' campaign, we will soon be the first to launch a new, commercial-free channel wholly dedicated to teaching English as a second language to learners of all levels. This channel will be available to DishLATINO and Sling Latino customers at no additional cost."

Univision has a history of resorting to blackouts to gain leverage in negotiations. In the last two years, they have blacked out millions of viewers, including customers of AT&T, Charter and Verizon (in a takedown lasting over a month).

In many markets, Univision is available for free, over the air, with an antenna. To help ensure customers don't lose access to Univision shows as discussions continue, DISH, DishLATINO and Sling TV are making antennas available for free to customers in eligible areas. DISH and DishLATINO customers seeking more information can visit dishpromise.com or dishlatino.com/promesa. Sling customers can visit help.sling.com or ayuda.sling.com.

Univision also sells its top two networks direct to consumers through a streaming product called Univision Now. That product is available for $7.99 per month, yet the programmer is asking DishLATINO and Sling Latino subscribers to pay almost double for the same content.

To ensure customers have additional Spanish-language entertainment options during this time, DishLATINO is making news and entertainment channels available at no extra cost. These options include Multimedios (now available on channels 271, 272, 830 and 831), Mexicanal (now available on channels 273 and 833), and additional free movies on channel 828. Sling TV is providing customers who have the the Best of Spanish TV service or Best of Spanish TV Extra a free preview of the Mexico Regional Service.

"Given current events impacting the Hispanic community, we call on Univision to return its signal to DISH, DishLATINO and Sling TV customers as soon as possible. This is not the time to be making outrageous demands to make up for bad business decisions, or, as many have suggested, better position themselves for a sale," said Rodríguez Diaz-Marta.

DISH and DishLATINO customers seeking more information can visit dishpromise.com or dishlatino.com/promesa. Sling customers can visit help.sling.com or ayuda.sling.com. The list of affected local markets is available here.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It's true, my household use to have Univision on as the primary Spanish station we watched when they actually aired quality content but now it's like they air nothing but replays and televisa content. We have happily moved on to Telemundo.

Reactions: ncted and pattykay
I found myself watching Telemundo today for the World Cup match Belgium vs Japan

I understand that for many years Univision had the rights to broadcast the World Cup, that era ended with this Russia World Cup.

But I also understand that shows with good ratings on Univision moved on to Telemundo, checking their programming this weekend, I came to the conclusion that nowadays, Telemundo has more quality content than Unvision, by far IMO.

Last edited:
Problem here in the bronx for over the air. I can get every channel but 41. Is 41 not letting their customer watch Ota. Is there anyone i can talk to about this?

Political Comment Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be honest. Univision's been going downhill since they lost The world Cup, Andres Cantor (who Telemundo is using in their promotion majorly) and their Saturday night franchise Sabado Gigante.

Locally I can't watch my Seattle Univision station which is owned by, of all things, Sinclair (they're in the process of going "sidecar"). Must have some strange retrans clause.

Goes to show how much I actually watch Univision any more. I just noticed it gone day before yesterday. The two channels they have to temporarily replace it seem okay.

We used to have a bus company in the area that apparently subscribed to the Univision business model. They raised the rate and less people rode the bus so they raised the rate and, well you know where this is going, they eventually drove themselves out of business. Methinks Univision is traveling down that same road.

I never understood the “we are doing worse than before, pay us more money so we can survive” model. With any luck, they completely price themselves out, this goes on into another providers contract, and then they are SOL. That would be entertaining. I always though NBCU had stake in Univision, but I was mistaken.

I never understood the “we are doing worse than before, pay us more money so we can survive” model. With any luck, they completely price themselves out, this goes on into another providers contract, and then they are SOL. That would be entertaining. I always though NBCU had stake in Univision, but I was mistaken.

It’s the same model the newspapers follow. A 6-month renewal of the Kansas City Star is now $323. I am not joking. Instead of cutting costs elsewhere, they just pass along the price increases. Then more and more people leave until the company dies. Doesn’t seem like a winning business strategy to me- Some people I know still want a real newspaper to read and would gladly pay a reasonable price

I call this kind of business model “the death wish.” Someone (CEO? CFO?) or a group of board members decided the company had run its course and it was time to milk the cash cow until there wasn’t anymore cash to milk. Then the CEO will quit with his bonus and ride off into the sunset while the company files Ch.11 and quietly disappears.

If they truly want to survive (and I’m talking about Univision here too), they’ll make business changes that will keep them competitive

Let's be honest. Univision's been going downhill since they lost The world Cup, Andres Cantor (who Telemundo is using in their promotion majorly) and their Saturday night franchise Sabado Gigante.

Locally I can't watch my Seattle Univision station which is owned by, of all things, Sinclair (they're in the process of going "sidecar"). Must have some strange retrans clause.
Univision has been losing personalities to telemundo since the 90s
Multimedios (now available on channels 271, 272, 830 and 831), Mexicanal (now available on channels 273 and 833),
Multimedios out of Monterrey N.L. Is miles ahead of Univision in quality programming. Have it on the direct Latino bonus For the regional Mexican music programming that The U.S. based stations stopped airing years ago.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)