Unnecessary Letterboxing With HD Content

Vans338

Original poster
May 15, 2010
Georgia
Hi all.

Here's the issue: with our second T.V., HD content often spills off the frame. Imagine watching, say, Food Network. In the bottom right hand corner, you have the network logo, but only about half of it appears on screen. I can press the format button on the remote, switching to a letterboxed view, and this moves the entire picture into frame. However, I know letterboxing shouldn't be needed in this situation.

I've tried messing with the settings on both the satellite and the T.V., with no luck. I do not think it's a problem with the T.V., however, because I have no picture issues with my Xbox and the satellite menus themselves seem to be formatted correctly. Also, another T.V. in the house does show the problem, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Food Network sometimes has the worst understanding of HD of any network I watch.

Some of their programs are shot in 16x9 SD, but then STRETCHED on the screen rather than fully expanded, to make the image fill the screen. So you have a horribly horizontally stretched picture with black bands at the top and bottom. The problem with this is that you can't fix it with your TV. They also do this with some of their 4x3 SD, but it's not as hideous because you don't get the top and bottom black bands.

I quit watching Ace of Cakes in HD because they do this. I watch the SD feed, but expand it with my TV so the picture fills the screen.

I've written to complain, but, of course, they do nothing.

You don't mention a specific show, but when you're watching Food Network this may be the situation you're experiencing.

Ha, that's interesting to hear. However, this is an issue with virtually every station I come across: History, Comedy Central, NBC, etc. I'm not sure I've been to an HD station where this isn't the case...

If your remote TV is a 4x3 model, then letterboxed would be the correct way to view it.

If it's 16x9 then there *should* be some way to format it with the TV controls.

you said it was you're second tv meaning tv2. If this is the case tv2 is not HD. You get the channels but they are downconverted to 480i. You only have HD on tv1 of a duo reciever. The technology does not exist for both tuners to be HD. It doesn't matter if you have a flat screen at the tv2 location it only recieves standard def signal thru a coaxial cable from the reciever. I hope this helps explain your issue. The reciever and the tv are operating properly you will find if you switch to the standard channel the images will fit the screen perfectly

Maybe his TV is set on "Narrow" mode. Zooming the picture from the box fills the screen, but not well. Make sure the TV setting is on "Native" or something similar. If you're using the TV2 output from your DVR on that TV, ignore the above.

tubkatt's reasoning makes the most sense to me. If the signal is indeed SD, then it makes sense that the T.V. would be treating it as if on a 4x3 set. For now, I guess I'll just keep it on the SD channels until HD can be installed in this room.

Thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)