Unusual tv 2 remote problem

Ryans1980

Original poster
May 23, 2011
Kentucky
Hello maybe you guys can help. All of sudden my tv 2 remote stopped working. I changed batteries, remote address, checked antenna nothing worked unless I was standing next to receiver. Finally noticed that if I turned off tv1 the tv itself not the receiver that the tv 2 remote would work just fine until I turned tv 1 back on. I have a vizio tv and have never had this problem before in 6+ years. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might have.

Best guess, something electronic on the TV is starting to go bad - OR - some setting was changed that now affects the signal. Especially check to see that the auto sensing back light is not on, and anything other setting that was not on before.

I agree with Tampa8 and papalittle! :up Sounds like TV1 is interfering with the UHF signal. You can try changing settings on your TV to see if that helps correct the issue. If no success with that try to move the UHF antenna from the back of your receiver to a different location away from your TV, here is what would be needed: Coaxial cable 5 to 10 ft, barrel connecter, and your UHF antenna. We also offer an IR to UHF converter kit. I hope this helps. Let us know if this works.

Check your tv to see if it has ambient lighting.If so make sure its off that sometimes causes uhf interference.

Check your tv to see if it has ambient lighting.If so make sure its off that sometimes causes uhf interference.

That only applies to IR, but there is definitely something going on with the TV.

OP, have you tried changing remote channels/bands? Also, you can move the UHF antenna to the same room as the TV2 with a couple of splitters and some short coax cables. An attenuator would be ideal as well but not required.

Although TV2 output is controlled by UHF usually it can be controlled by IR also. Many LED and plasma TVs, especially with the auto/ambient light adjust, output a lot of IR and can swamp the combined UHF and IR controller. My guess.
-Ken

Last edited:
.... Many LED and plasma TVs, especially with the auto/ambient light adjust, output a lot of IR and can swamp the combined UHF and IR controller. My guess.
Ken,

If the receiver is being controlled by UHF I can't see how IR emitted bt another device could have any effect on that UHF. :confused:
I can find no other reports of such interference.

Ken,

If the receiver is being controlled by UHF I can't see how IR emitted bt another device could have any effect on that UHF. :confused:
I can find no other reports of such interference.
Well, depending on the wiring, if the output of the IR and UHF detectors are OR'd together then a saturated signal on one can block the other. If they are XOR's that would not happen. Also if they use threshold one-shots and an OR gate the same can happen even. I've seen that kind of circuitry and probably done it too assuming there would on be one signal. You would have to see the schematics to be sure.
-Ken

Well from my point of view I think it would be worth a shot if the tv has ambient lighting to turn it off.If it works cheap easy fix.If not certainly nothing lost but 2 or 3 minutes time.

this is not that unusual with vizio. I am a DNS tech and I run into remote prob. and other prob. when installing or troubleshooting HD rec. to vizio tv's. what u need to do is get 2 splitters and behind the rec. you will need 4- 6 inch pieces of cable with fittings on both ends. remove the line that says home distribution and remove the antenna attach 2 of the cables to the dual side of the splitter attach the other ends to the ant. and home distribution then the single side to the uhf side of the diplexer or triplexer. then behind your tv2 remove coax from back attach it to single side of other splitter attach the ant. to the other side and the last jumper to the other port and then to your tv. that will solve your prob.

If you remote has the option, change the TV2 remote to the UHF B band and see if that helps. The UHF A and B band switch is in the battery compartment. This is available only on some Dish TV2 remotes.

I too have the same issue with my Samsung unb557100 and haven't found an easy fix other than the moving of the antenna which just looks terrible but for now only seems to be my option because dish want me to have to buy another receiver $30-$130 and $7 more a month...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts