Upcoming HD Channels

You will see in the coming years that Verizon Fios is the only TV service that will offer TRUE HD channels due to the bandwidth needed to support them. CV will have no choice but to compress the video feed similar to what Dish and Direct does now. Which in turn, will ruin picture quality IMO.

Really? Guess you never heard of switched digital video.

Really? Guess you never heard of switched digital video.

The fact of the matter is that Coax does not have the capacity of fiber. In 2009 when everything is suppose to go 100% HD, CV along with Dish/Ecostar are going to have to compress their video to some extent. I mean look at the video quality of SD/HD channels offered by CV now compaired to Fios. There's no comparison...

The fact of the matter is that Coax does not have the capacity of fiber. In 2009 when everything is suppose to go 100% HD, CV along with Dish/Ecostar are going to have to compress their video to some extent. I mean look at the video quality of SD/HD channels offered by CV now compaired to Fios. There's no comparison...

Coax doesn't need the capacity of fiber with switched digital video. CV has fiber running to nodes. When SDV is implemented whenever you request a channel the node sends the channel over coax to your house. There is no need to have all 500 channels available on your set top box at the same time.

Everything is not going HD in 2009. Analog OTA transmissions are scheduled to end then, but that date could be changed again. OTA transmissions will then need to be digital only, which doesn't mean HD. That also doesn't mean that every cable channel will be HD.

I haven't seen FIOS, and probably never will since I live in CT which is AT&T territory. I can get U-verse from AT&T but that service is not as good as CV.

There is no set date for everything to go HD, what is happening in 2009 is for local over the air channels must be digital. Has no effect on cable, they can still broadcast digital if they chose. Cablevision is all fiber in the street, do you think the extra 200ft-300ft at most from the pole to your house has a big impact??Nope, also its funny because verzion uses the same wiring already in the home in most of the case I have heard with people switching back to cablevision from verizon. The two most common reasons people switch back are they were quoted one price then when they get thier bill its usually $10-20 more per month and the second reason they give is that they experice alot of breakup and their boxes are not has good.

In 2009 analog is supposed to be cut off. This does not mean 100% HD it means 100% digital. BIG difference! Cable will get back a ton of bandwidth after analog is cut off. Do I want to wait til than, NO.

There is no set date for everything to go HD, what is happening in 2009 is for local over the air channels must be digital. Has no effect on cable, they can still broadcast digital if they chose. Cablevision is all fiber in the street, do you think the extra 200ft-300ft at most from the pole to your house has a big impact??Nope, also its funny because verzion uses the same wiring already in the home in most of the case I have heard with people switching back to cablevision from verizon. The two most common reasons people switch back are they were quoted one price then when they get thier bill its usually $10-20 more per month and the second reason they give is that they experice alot of breakup and their boxes are not has good.

First of all let me say that I worked for CV for 2yrs and I now work for VZ fttp. I can tell you that CV is not all fiber in the street, it's mostly coax. Don't believe me, look up and see. They do have fiber just not 200-300ft from the home, sorry to tell you that you're wrong.

I can also tell you that people can't wait to switch from ther current provider to Fios and I haven't heard of anyone switching back. You also have to consider this is a new service, so yes there will be problems to iron out. When CV offered there internet service for the first time it was horrible. Same thing with their voice service and digital TV. The motorola boxes Verizon offers blows away the ancient Scientific Atlantic in speed. Have you even compared the services before making your assumption?

In 2009 analog is supposed to be cut off. This does not mean 100% HD it means 100% digital. BIG difference! Cable will get back a ton of bandwidth after analog is cut off. Do I want to wait til than, NO.

My apology, I meant digital with more HD channels.

I can also tell you that people can't wait to switch from ther current provider to Fios and I haven't heard of anyone switching back.

Just because you personally havent heard of it, it does happen. How do I know because I work for cablevision in the sales department and have personally signed up people who switched to fios and come back to us, stating the reasons I posted before. I would say everyone the switchs come back, however some of them do.

can we get back on the question here? are any new hd channels coming to cablevision... that is all, you guys can argue about verizon/cv/u-verse and it can never stop, so lets just get back on topic please.

Just because you personally havent heard of it, it does happen. How do I know because I work for cablevision in the sales department and have personally signed up people who switched to fios and come back to us, stating the reasons I posted before. I would say everyone the switchs come back, however some of them do.

Listen, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. I'm just saying that the service has an amazing buzz and people are looking for alternative services, ie. competition (which is a good thing for consumers). I also worked CV sales in the Piscataway office so I know that people join and cancel services quite often.

If I received my TV/Internet/Phone services for free, I would be raving about it as well.

fiddysheqel is correct, let's get back to the topic at hand...

can we get back on the question here? are any new hd channels coming to cablevision... that is all, you guys can argue about verizon/cv/u-verse and it can never stop, so lets just get back on topic please.
Yeah, I want to see more HD with cablevision. What are they waiting for? Capacity issues? Pricing issues? They also need a better looking UI on these Scientific explorer boxes.

Hey Remy, when do you think we'll see an announcement? I'll guess sometime in May. We should take a poll, see who guesses closest. I hope it's sooner, but won't hold my breath.

Here is the exact exchange from the transcript:

Brian Kraft - Credit Suisse

OK. Great. And then could you comment on the plans on the HD side?

Tom Rutledge

We have aggressive capabilities to expand our HD line up and we have architected our plant with switch video and our digital strategy in such a way to have virtually unlimited capacity for HD and we’re looking to expand our offerings and we’ll announce those in due time.

http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/28198

Hey Remy, when do you think we'll see an announcement? I'll guess sometime in May. We should take a poll, see who guesses closest. I hope it's sooner, but won't hold my breath.
My Guess is they will announce New HD a week after D* successfully launches their first New satellite in mid May. (with this First satellite they COULD add 50 National HD channels within a month after launch)

So My Guess is June 1st for some sort of HD announcement from Cablevision

:down I've had Cablevision since the beginning in NY and unfortunatly Cablevision has a history of not doing ANYTHING unless they are pushed to by their competition!!! :down

ESPN2 would be a nice addition in time for Champions League Final..
Disc-HD and NHG-HD are amazing channels..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)