Upcoming HD Channels

Rutgerskid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
With the announcement from Directv stating that they plan to add 100 HD Channels this year...It was interesting to see the the list of National Channels that are going to start broadcasting.

Most interesting was that Turner is going to launch CNN HD in September. It's going to be interesting how they are going to work with all of the affiliates and bureau's around the world.

Hopefully we get some of these HD channels into the CV lineup :)

Yes, more HD would be nice. As far as Directv goes. Don’t believe everything you read. They have been saying more hd channels are coming for more then two years now.

As far as Direct TV goes I'll believe 100 when they really do it. On the other hand they truly will be adding more national HD channels as they come online. U-verse is now available to me and has several more national HD channels then CV does. It's getting time for CV to step up to the plate and increase their HD offerings either by turning off more analogs or implementing switched digital video for HD channels. Their marketing plan of no extra charge for HD will mean nothing to me if I can get 30 more HD channels with U-verse for a $10/month "technology fee". Of course U-verse has to figure out a way to be able to send me at least 3 HD streams at once first. Their current single HD stream per house just won't cut it.

Cablevision won't add crap

That's why I'm switching to Verizon FIOS, which should be availabe for me in about eight weeks. Cablevision (other than sports) is one of the worst HD providers in existence. This company still doesn't even carry Discovery HD - one of the first HD cable channels ever offered and carried by virtually every major cable and satelitte company. I got my first Hd TV in October 2003 and, at that time, they didn't even carry ABC and NBC in HD, while Time Warner Cable did.

That's why I'm switching to Verizon FIOS, which should be availabe for me in about eight weeks. Cablevision (other than sports) is one of the worst HD providers in existence. This company still doesn't even carry Discovery HD - one of the first HD cable channels ever offered and carried by virtually every major cable and satelitte company. I got my first Hd TV in October 2003 and, at that time, they didn't even carry ABC and NBC in HD, while Time Warner Cable did.

I could not disagree more.
Cablevision is very competitive with other HD providers.
All the locals in HD (2,4,5,7,9,11,13)
All regional sports in HD (more than any provider)
All the available premium movie channels in HD (5 of them)
There only shortcoming is with national HD channels since they only carry INHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, and UHD

I agree w/ you Nikkoxyz CV has not put any new channels into their line-up & when they do its always on demand or just garbage filler that I have no use for but still have to pay for. but to be fair the only thing I like about CV is their reliable system & internet (but even that is too costly) also their dvr but on a basic c.v.r (cost to value ratio... more for the same amount of money a month)its either dishtv or the new att uverse for me

There only shortcoming is with national HD channels since they only carry INHD, ESPNHD, TNTHD, and UHD

That is the MAIN point why I'm switching to FIOS. I would immediately have DSCHD and NGCHD, which I really want. More importantly, is the prospect of all the new simulcast HD channels coming on-line later this year (USA, SciFI, FX, CNN, etc. etc. etc.). Even with switched video, I have no faith in Cablevision adding any soon. FIOS's system is "state of the art", massive available bandwith, no more expensive, and they are hungry for subscribers (good all-american competition). Will Verizon add these channels before Cablevision - who knows? Nevertheless, judging by Cablevison's past performance, I'm taking a bet on Verizon.

The ONLY difference between the above list touting CV's HD offerings vs FIOS is MSG and FSN in HD on CV which FIOS doesn't have (they have them in SD).

Since they are on equal footing in terms of local HD, premium movie HD and the other reg sports HD, how about the HD FIOS has that CV doesn't have:
Discovery
ESPN2
NFL Network
Nat'l Geographic
MTV
HD Net
HD Net Movies
And Food Network and HGTV are rumored for sometime this quarter.

I am getting my install this Friday. Finally some competition :D

DTV has some indifferences behind their sceme of the "100" HD channels coming this year....I read a report somewhere that "what direct tv meant was that it will be adding a hundred channels to their system, nationwide, so people that dont have abc in some bumble f*#% state can now get it. In other words, the Basic channels that we in NY get in HD are for regional coverage, Other states and possibly countries are not going to get NYCBS2 in HD, they will simply be upgrading their CBS signal to HD which could be channel 8 or whatever."...I think.

NIKKOXYZ, BEWARE of FIOS, Verizon is aan ok company, poor customer service, 12-18 hour installations which Ive heard are sloppy at best....and that $95 dollar triple play actually means 95 for the package, add taxes to it, I have had customers tell me their bill was over 200 for three months in a row, and verizon cant seem to fix the problem. Ive heard numerous customers also complaining of poor service with the motorola boxes they use, and the internet isnt all its cracked up to be. Another fun fact..... the INT(that big gray or white box they put on the side of your house) costs an extra 8-10 bucks per month in electricity. One more fun fact, if the battery backup they provide(which lasts 4 hours compared to cv's 8) ever craps out, you need to pay to replace it which is very expensive. They also raised their price of phone packages by 5 dollars for everyone, and saw a 7% increase in their package pricing.
While I am a cv employee, and my opinion may be impartial, verizon does have free on demands, and an HD lineup that quickly became the best in the state...JUST BEWARE OF SERVICE PROBLEMS.

The ONLY difference between the above list touting CV's HD offerings vs FIOS is MSG and FSN in HD on CV which FIOS doesn't have (they have them in SD).

Since they are on equal footing in terms of local HD, premium movie HD and the other reg sports HD, how about the HD FIOS has that CV doesn't have:
Discovery
ESPN2
NFL Network
Nat'l Geographic
MTV
HD Net
HD Net Movies
And Food Network and HGTV are rumored for sometime this quarter.

I am getting my install this Friday. Finally some competition :D

Cablevision also has INHD which Fios does not have.

DTV has some indifferences behind their sceme of the "100" HD channels coming this year....I read a report somewhere that "what direct tv meant was that it will be adding a hundred channels to their system, nationwide, so people that dont have abc in some bumble f*#% state can now get it. In other words, the Basic channels that we in NY get in HD are for regional coverage, Other states and possibly countries are not going to get NYCBS2 in HD, they will simply be upgrading their CBS signal to HD which could be channel 8 or whatever."...I think.

This is not true, they are supposed to have a 100 HD national channels by years end. They already announced what some of them are Sci-Fi, Speed, TBS, Cartoon Network and CNN to name a few. Before posting something like the try to make sure your info is accurate and if possible post a link to were you read this.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=772861&postcount=2

NIKKOXYZ, BEWARE of FIOS, Verizon is aan ok company, poor customer service, 12-18 hour installations which Ive heard are sloppy at best....and that $95 dollar triple play actually means 95 for the package, add taxes to it, I have had customers tell me their bill was over 200 for three months in a row, and verizon cant seem to fix the problem. Ive heard numerous customers also complaining of poor service with the motorola boxes they use, and the internet isnt all its cracked up to be. Another fun fact..... the INT(that big gray or white box they put on the side of your house) costs an extra 8-10 bucks per month in electricity. One more fun fact, if the battery backup they provide(which lasts 4 hours compared to cv's 8) ever craps out, you need to pay to replace it which is very expensive. They also raised their price of phone packages by 5 dollars for everyone, and saw a 7% increase in their package pricing.

I never heard of anyone who has there standard triple play with one box, going over $110 a month after tax. The person that is paying over 200 there is no telling how many boxes they have, for them you need a box for each tv. Also what level of service they have. As far as the battery back up, with Cablevision you have to buy the backups as well. As far as sloppy installs, verizon runs the wires behind the walls for you, unlike Cablevision that runs them along the floorboards.

Last edited:

While I am a cv employee, and my opinion may be impartial, verizon does have free on demands, and an HD lineup that quickly became the best in the state...JUST BEWARE OF SERVICE PROBLEMS.

The $8-10 monthly extra electric cost is bogus. Several very savy technical FIOS subscribers on another forum measured the curent draw and, to quote, "Its about an 11 watt draw, which is about 8 KWH/month which translates between $1-2 per month" The battery backup rechargeable battery lasts between 1-4 years and is an inexpensive user replaceable item. You can purchase it at any Radio Shack (kind of like replacing the rechargeable battery in your cordless telephone)

Billing - yes Verizon's billing is cumbersome and sh!tty, I'm expecting one or two months of aggravation. Cablevision's billing is superior - but can be "less than honorable". I ordered the movie package with HBO and repeatably confirmed with the CSR what my new bill would be. Miraculosly, the next month there was a $5 charge for HBO VOD - never wanted it, never ordered it.. The next month I convinced my neighbor (an elderly 82 year old gentleman) to switch from DSL to OOL - I did the ordering for him. I spoke to the CSR and confirmed specifically what he wanted. Several months later my neighbor complained to me that the service was nice "but very expensive" It turns out they were charging him for OOL Boost. Yes, everybody has "horror stories".

Pricing - Yes Verizon has raised their prices, but you know I'm now paying $140 month to Cablevison for internet, TV and the movie package. Verizon's new standard pricing for me (no triple play or discounts) will be about $7-8 month cheaper and will include TWO HDDVR's (not one) and the 20/5 internet package (BTW, Verizon's speeds are far more consistent than OOL - my OOL drops from 15/2 in the morning to 2.7/2 after 5:00 pm). Added bonus - premium VOD service is free, another $5/month savings if I cared to pay for it.

I think I'm willing to "take the risk".

You may want to check out the HD RSN lineup again?
I do not think they have SNYHD.
That would mean they only have YESHD!

SNY-HD FIOS carries, Channel 815 on the NY system. They are going to carry it in N NJ before the baseball season starts, working on getting fiber hookup to the NJ VDH from what I heard last.

This is not true, they are supposed to have a 100 HD national channels by years end. They already announced what some of them are Sci-Fi, Speed, TBS, Cartoon Network and CNN to name a few. Before posting something like the try to make sure your info is accurate and if possible post a link to were you read this.
---I did not mean that all of the 100 channels were going to be Broadcast HD channels, I meant most of them, as for a link, I have none, and we'll see by years end what will be going on in the HD world which I anticipate will be a very exciting one for everybody that loves HD tv.
---And nikkoxyz, sounds to me like you got a hell of a package, the problem I have with verizon is that if they are giving you that deal, your neighbor could sign up on the same day and have a much different, even shittier promo. It happens all the time....BTW-Is it a multi-room DVR, or 2 DVR sets?

---I did not mean that all of the 100 channels were going to be Broadcast HD channels, I meant most of them, as for a link, I have none, and we'll see by years end what will be going on in the HD world which I anticipate will be a very exciting one for everybody that loves HD tv.
---And nikkoxyz, sounds to me like you got a hell of a package, the problem I have with verizon is that if they are giving you that deal, your neighbor could sign up on the same day and have a much different, even shittier promo. It happens all the time....BTW-Is it a multi-room DVR, or 2 DVR sets?

The package I quoted are the new standard Verizon prices - no discounts or promos of any kind. Promotional prices are nice, but I'm more driven by what the price will be after a promotional period ends. I have two HDTV's and the package I quoted was for two HD DVR's not the multiroom DVR. Their HD DVR is only $3 a month more than the HD STB, so I think that is a better deal. Verizon becomes pricey only for people who have many standard TV's and currently do without STB's (who also don't care for the extra channels we currently have with the IO package). Verizon's analog channels are very limited.

You will see in the coming years that Verizon Fios is the only TV service that will offer TRUE HD channels due to the bandwidth needed to support them. CV will have no choice but to compress the video feed similar to what Dish and Direct does now. Which in turn, will ruin picture quality IMO. We'll see what happens in 2009 when HD is the new standard....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=772861&postcount=2

DTV is promising 100+ HD channel capacity. Their probably counting 24 transponders (not yet launched satellite) at 6 HD per transponder will give DTV HD national capacity of 144.

Speculation only, hard to say what Echostar is plannng to do. If the 15 VOOM channels were moved to the new mpeg4 encoders, that would open transponder space for 15 additional HD channels. Their still is a lot of locals on conus that might be able to move to spotbeam on their echoX satellite launched last year, to open up more conus tranponder space. At least another 8 transponders on 129 if moved to the new new mpeg4 encoders would open transponder space for additional 16 HD channels. If they required everybody use new mpeg4 receivers, 3 transponders on sat 110 would open 9 HD channels.

Just a guess, dish could add 15 to 30 additional HD channels and maybe up to 50 additional HD channels if everybody upgrade's to the mpeg4 VIP receivers for HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)