Upcoming Hopper/Joey Install - Legacy Wiring

Kagato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
My system has changed a lot over time. Highlights include the Dish 5000 with the ATSC output HD Adapter, a slew of 721s that kept having HD problems, the 921 with the firewire port that never was activated, and these days I'm running the VIP722. There's even an unused dish still pointed at 61.

Finally pulled the trigger on on a Hopper with 2 Joeys. This is an original installation from 2000 when you could still self install. Wire is a mix of comspec RG-6 Tri Shield (guy at the cable/wire wholesaler sold me what Comcast was using at the time) and RG-6 quad shield. I'm pretty sure when the install put in the last DVR he only used one of the runs and put a duplexer in.

Most of the wiring is behind walls now. Before the drywall went in I pulled some slack down to where the basement TV was going to go and pulled the loop out an AV box. I also have gigabit ethernet to all the locations. I'm assuming the hopper will go in the living room and it's best that the joeys will go to the go in the basement and master bedroom.

HouseWiringSetup.png

Question is really will I have any issues with this install?
If I wanted to go to Super Joey to expand tuners should I steer the installer to a particular wiring method?
Is it worthwhile getting the OTA adapter?
Does dish provide HDMI cables?

Bonus question: The dish, as I installed it 15 years ago is attached to blocking that is attached to the facia. I've never had an issue with it, and the couple times I've had installer out they haven't cared (they would reuse the pole and slap the new dish on), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet QC check. Should I expect any issues or will schedule override that concern?

If your cables are from 2000 aprox. your wiring is almost 14 years old. Ask the tech if he can re-wire using the existing wiring as a rope. (you tie the new RG6 with the old using duct tape and pull it through the walls easily). He shouldn't have a problem doing this because its a pain in the butt to do it when you have nothing to use as a rope behind the walls.

For the super joey I believe that its the same cable setup as a regular joey but there is a special switch or device that must be installed by the dish. (Don't quote me on that)

If you can receive your locals OTA I would pull the trigger. In the event of losing satellite signal you will have that as a backup plus you can get them in HD if available(dish doesn't carry all OTA in HD). Also you get an extra tuner for recording locals.

Yes, each dish receiver including the Hopper and Joey comes with an HDMI cable.

EDIT: I just saw your diagram and wanted to point out that with the hopper, only one cable goes to the receiver instead of multiple.

Dish Antenna> Switches>Node ---> 1 individual RG6 cable for each hopper and joey (everything behind the arrow is done outside before entering your home or in the area your switches are currently installed)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Symbol!

Old cable was likely secured when the drywall was put in. I doubt he'd be able to pull with old the cable. But the attic has a good access if he needs new runs from the Dish. I'll make sure to clear stuff in advance in case he needs to go up there.

A H/SJ system requires three cables coming in from a switch or dish.

The Ethernet connections won't be necessary.

The Solo Node and integrator can go in the living room I would think.

There shouldn't be much need to change things wiring wise outside of losing the fourth satellite feed.

The only real concern would be if you wanted the OTA/FM RF signal distributed.

A H/SJ system requires three cables coming in from a switch or dish.

The Ethernet connections won't be necessary.

The Solo Node and integrator can go in the living room I would think.

There shouldn't be much need to change things wiring wise outside of losing the fourth satellite feed.

The only real concern would be if you wanted the OTA/FM RF signal distributed.

I take it OTA Joeys can't see the OTA adapter? Would they be able to watch an OTA in process of being recorded on the Hopper?

You have a lot of cableing running to your livingroom...

Set up for hoppersling,super joey, and joey.
Dish on existing mast,
Solo node , splitter and integrator by dish or groundsource if one is available.
3 cables from dish; 2 into node, 1 into integrator.
1 cable from node host port to hopper location.
1 cable from node client port to splitter.
1st cable from splitter to joey location.
2nd cable from splitter to integrator.
1 cable from integrator to super joey location.

No need to pull new cable unless the hopper location is not rated to.3ghz.

If none of the cable is rated that high pick the easiest location for a new cable to be set up for the hopper. The other receivers can run on 2150mhz rated cable.

Some people think they have to have the hopper in a certain room. But as far as functionality between hopper and joey there is not much difference.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)