Upcoming Tricky Dish Install

gross67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 6, 2004
Indiana
I will be purchasing a condo soon that is actually an old classroom in a 1925 brick school house. My antenna and two dishes will be moving with me. They will have to be installed on the roof and to avoid a long cable run, they must sit on the roof proper which is flat and has a rubber membrane. Has anyone installed a boom on such a roof before? My first thought is to go the concrete in a tire route with the boom sunk in the concrete. Or perhaps I could mount the tripod and boom on a large treated wood platform and then weight it down. Any suggestions? Of course pictures of a similar unconventional install would be super.

Cheers,
GROSS67

I don't particularly like commercial nonpenetrating roof mounts, since the surface contact area is metal angle iron and is about 1-1/2 inches wide. You don't need a tripod, unless you are mounting an ota antenna that has to be high enough to clear the knee walls on the roof. Get an ACQ treated 2x10 about 8 ft long. Cut it into four equal pieces and screw it together with Simpson Strong Tie galvanized SDS screws (Home Depot) three inches long from the top. You can also use 3 inch deck screws made for ACQ lumber, but the SDS screws are better.

Assemble the dish. Position the mounting foot so that the foot is in front of the dish and below the lnb arm. In this position, the dish is very well balanced. Fasten the mounting foot to the wood mounting with 2" 1/4x20 galvanized carriage bolts. Since ACQ lumber is very corrosive, I would use a piece the pink or blue foam insulator that is sold to be placed between the sill and the brick or block in building a house. The same stuff can be placed between the roof and the wood to cushion it. Place four solid concrete "cap" blocks on the corners of the wood frame to hold it down.

This provides a very neat compact flat roof install.

Sounds very creative.
Why don't you post a couple of pictures (or a line drawing, if you like) of one?

I have a 5' mast in a 5-gallon bucket, with 60 lbs of cement.
That's out in the back. It's pretty stable, and good for a patio.
BUT, I wouldn't want that on my roof! :)

A quality non penetrating commercial flat roof mount kit will come with a half inch thick rubber matt that protects the rubber roof membrane from the metal grid. The non pen will require a minimum of 4 cinder blocks for weight purposes though 6 would be better, if your creative you can mount a tripod to one of these for your antenna as well ( its been done and theres one sitting in my warehouse right now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts