Upconverting a PVR signal through a 6000 or 811

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
A few days ago I read a post about how you can run the RF output of say a 510 into the antenna lead-in of a 6000, set up a channel 3 for the PVR and the HD receiver will upconvert the PVR signal. I have a few questions about doing this.
1. Is the gain from upconverting the signal offset from going from S-video connection to just the RF signal?
2. If you use the antenna-in connection on the HD receiver for this, how do you hook your outside OTA antenna?
3. Is this really worth it, or is it just a "do it because it can be done" type of thing?

This place is great. Even though I finally registered so I could post, I have been lurking for quite awhile. The amount of information and the quality of same is the best I have found. Graet job, Scott

I have yet to see ANYTHING that is upconverted to HD (720p or 1080i) that looks better then the original 480i unless the conversion is done by a ultra expensive HD convertor! Upconversion by mere HD satellite receivers will leave you with a VERY blurry mess that will have you scrambling for the 480i S-video connection!

MikeF said:
A few days ago I read a post about how you can run the RF output of say a 510 into the antenna lead-in of a 6000, set up a channel 3 for the PVR and the HD receiver will upconvert the PVR signal. I have a few questions about doing this.
1. Is the gain from upconverting the signal offset from going from S-video connection to just the RF signal?
2. If you use the antenna-in connection on the HD receiver for this, how do you hook your outside OTA antenna?
3. Is this really worth it, or is it just a "do it because it can be done" type of thing?

This place is great. Even though I finally registered so I could post, I have been lurking for quite awhile. The amount of information and the quality of same is the best I have found. Graet job, Scott

Mike, I posted this info. Here's how I did it: I used an RF combiner/splitter to marry the RF out from my 501 and the OTA antenna signal just prior to the first diplexer (my OTA feed comes into the house without a diplexor). I ran a single cable to the other room where my 6000 is located, added the other diplexor to split the signals back out, and ran the cables to their appropriate input. The 501's signal is now attenuated as channel 3 so when I tune to channel 3 I see what is on my 501.

A couple of side notes: When the 501 is powered on, I lose OTA Analog channel 2 (no big deal). Also, the PQ is not so great but then I am watching it on a 110" diagonal screen. I watch very little material in this manner, mainly things like Survivor that are not HD to begin with. It's a bandaid approach so I don't have to watch TV on my old 27" set, but it works.

The only SD programming I sub to are the Portland locals so I can PVR whatever I can't watch live in HD or capture to my JVC 30K HD tape machine. Before you ask, I am downrezzing the signal from the 6000 and sending it to the JVC via S-Video and I get a really good picture, as good as a DVD. I record in the Standard speed, which yeilds 5 hours of recording time on a digital tape at 14.4 MBS.

Thanks for the info on this Darrell. I think I will just leave my 510 going in Vid3 then. isee you had other reasons for doing it. Iwas going to give it a shot when I get my 811 while things were pulled out from the wall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)