upconverting SD DVD on 360 HDDVD?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
From what I have read it looks like the 360 HD DVD will upconvert SD DVD only through the VGA. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how much improvement in picture quality on SD DVD compared to just using the component cables,which only does 480P

Also, I don't have a VGA conection on my TV. Do thay make a VGA to DVI cable that would work? Would I lose anything on picture quality by doing that (if it exists)?

I am going through component and it is NOT upconverting the signal at all which is a huge drawback of the XBOX360 HDDVD Rom setup.

I have also noticed some differences in the audio quality of the XBOX HDDVD and my Toshiba HD DVD player.

I am going through component and it is NOT upconverting the signal at all which is a huge drawback of the XBOX360 HDDVD Rom setup.

I have also noticed some differences in the audio quality of the XBOX HDDVD and my Toshiba HD DVD player.

Video upconvertion part sucks.
any way which audio is better?

Toshiba is better hands down...don't even need an xbox addon to know this.

Dolby Digital is 448 Kbps (supported by XBOX 360 addon)
DTS is 769 Kbps

Supported by standalone players:

Dolby Digital plus is 3Mbps (bare minimum on all HD-DVDs)
Dolby True HD is 18 Mbps

So just looking at bit rates the minimum on the Toshiba is more than 6 times the resolution as what the 360 can output. If the 360 can output DTS it would be 4 times.

Most disks are flagged and will only up convert through HDMI. HDCP compliance. This is true on the A1 also.

Yes, the upconverting using VGA works great with the 360. This is without the HD-DVD addon. I noticed a difference, but I cannot tell you if it is better than a stand alone upconverting dvd player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)