UPDATE! 12-21-05 Dish Transmitting CBS-E HD in 1440x1080i

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
When they switched CBS-E HD off of 61.5 TP2 and put it on TP17, they changed the resolution to 720p. Everyone knows that CBS broadcasts in 1080i. What gives?

I know thier engineers are busy with stuff but, uh guys, check your encoder settings for CBS-E HD...

There is no technical reason to transmit a 1080i channel in 720p. All I know is, they are throwing away resolution by doing this....

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is 1280 x 720p, it is still a recognized HD resolution and preserves the 16:9 ratio. It is better than 1280 x 1080i if they are running into bandwidth issues in view of their HD LIL plan. If they have no bandwidth issues, then stick with 1920 x 1080i.

I wonder what others think in terms of picture quality since the change. This could be a trial balloon.

Yes, it is 1280x720 60fps. It will be interesting to see how football looks this weekend. I find FoxHD to be very good, but just does not have that "pop" that CBS NFL games have.

If anyone out there views cbs-e hd, please post your comments here after watching some hd programming this weekend.

Doesn't ESPN-HD and HD on ABC both transmit at 1280 x 720P. Correct me if I am mistaken but I thought the long standing argument between 1080i and 720P was that 720P would do better with fast action programming such as sports. Should Dish convert ESPN-HD to 1080i ? If Dish puts up ESPN2-HD and ABC-HD should they convert those to 1080i as well? I don't get CBS-E HD but I have watched Sunday Nite Football games on ESPN-HD as well as my local FOX station in HD OTA and I found the picture for the ESPN-HD broadcast really pops compared to that on FOX.

I have heard a few posters here issue ultimatum like posts to Dish and usually they stay with Dish. The grass is always greener somewhere else until they really look.

Thats not the point. The point is they are messing with the originally broadcast signal. For the last however many years they've had CBS-E and W HD, they've been in 1080i. CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i. Now all of the sudden CBS-E has changed to 720p.

ESPN, ABC, and FOX use 720p. Everyone else uses 1080i. My request is they leave the video format untouched.

Well tbh I do agree that they "should" leave the picture as is but I would also agree that if they are running into bandwith problems I wouldnt mind 720p def over 1280x1080i but thats just me.

You would think that CBS would have a contract with Dish that would state to not mess with the HD resolution, the bit/rate maybe but no turning it into 720p.

1280x720x60fps = 55,296,000 pixels per second.

1920x1080x30fps = 62,208,000 pixels per second.

So 720p has ~11% less pixels per second than 1080i.

I agree if it HAS to be one or the other, i'd go with 720p over 1280i anyday. However, the bandwidth argument still hasnt explained why they currently fit 3 1080i channels onto a TP.

Also, only two of the networks broadcast 1080i. Currently they have CBS, ABC, NBC on one TP and FOX on its own TP. Switch it around so you have NBC, ABC, FOX on one TP (2 720p and 1 1080i) and CBS (1080i) on another TP.

If this situation doesn't change, I'll definitely have some good questions for the tech guys at the Dish CES booth :D

Hokie brings up a very good point... I just wish dish would solve this soon!! I dont understand why they were running 3 1920x1080I channles in the past and all suddenly things had to change. When they were doing the old way there was no complaints.. IT sounds like there is something going on at the uplink plant. Sometimes its better to not mess with something that doesnt needed fixed in the first place.

Guys this is obviously a mistake on Dish's part, no way Dish is doing this for a set "reason"

someone needs to email them to tell them about this and that it is incorrect, 720p is gonna save a little bandwidth but not enough for dish to do the conversion before they send out CBS to us

this is obviously a mistake, at least it seems that way to me

-Gary

Last edited:
the frame rate is all screwed up now

CBS HD on 61.5 is now 1280x720p and at 10.98 Mbps WTF!! :( and was moved to Tp. 17 from 2 as noted before

anyone who thinks this is what Dish is going to do with this channel is off their rocker ;)

I have emailed Dish with this info straight up, I suggest we make this a sticky guys and start emailing Dish to make sure

-Gary

I think I may have figured this out guys, is the the transponder that ESPN 2 has been uplinked to on 61.5??

can anyone confirm this, Hokie/Bob, which Tp. was ESPN 2 put up on 61.5 ??

It could be 17 and that may be why we are seeing this(temporarily) on CBS, just a guess

-Gary

Last edited:
No, ESPN2HD was put where the CBS-HD East feed was available to customers (TP2) So now the only thing on TP are the HD Demo and ESPN2HD

TP17 HAS CBS-HD East (available to subscribers) and ABC and FOX I believe (I don't know the exact networks, but I do know this TP has 3 channels on it) And then there is only 1 HD channel on TP19 which I believe is NBC HD (which is also being converted to 720p) I really don't get this boneheaded allocation here dish! Why have 3 networks on 1 TP and only 1 on the other. Have a FOX and NBC share a TP and ABC and CBS share the other. Only 1 720p and 1 1080i channel on each TP will yield amazing bitrates.

Last edited:
BFG said:
No, ESPN2HD was put where the CBS-HD East feed was available to customers (TP2) So now the only thing on TP are the HD Demo and ESPN2HD
TP17 HAS CBS-HD East (available to subscribers) and ABC and FOX I believe (I don't know the exact networks, but I do know this TP has 3 channels on it) And then there is only 1 HD channel on TP19 which I believe is NBC HD (which is also being converted to 720p) I really don't get this boneheaded allocation here dish! Why have 3 networks on 1 TP and only 1 on the other. Have a FOX and NBC share a TP and ABC and CBS share the other. Only 1 720p and 1 1080i channel on each TP will yield amazing bitrates.

I'm guessing Dish plans to add some channels launching in January that they can't announce or uplink yet. (i.e. Fox-HD, NGC-HD, or MTV-HD)

BFG said:
Here's the Crazy layout of 61.5 right now
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=49112
I don't believe the voom and espn2 are MP4 yet as John and Tony are going with, just because it has a different package ID doesn't mean it aint MP2

are you guys saying that espn2hd and voom are going to be mpeg4? Tell me that aint so...I would hate to think what I would do to get espn2hd :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)