hopper plus dish update....there must of been an update

desvic76

Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
coolidge,az
about a couple of weeks ago i noticed the black screen issue when first powered on was fixed. But now there is a slew of issues.. from dish constantly freezing ...im having to unplug hopper plus constantly. Just a bunch of goofy issues now. Nothing is stable anymore. If I'm watching a game now it says the receiver will reboot since it hasn't been rebooted which is false since im having to unplug it and power back on due to goofy issues. Anyone else having issues lately.

Not too sure when P12406 was out originally but I had my Hopper Plus with P11701 unplugged and P12406 was already available as of October 28, 2023 and probably earlier but I only downloaded the ATV files of P12406 but never successfully updated the Hopper Plus. I tried downloading again on November 2, 2023 and P12407 was already out as I downloaded the ATV files for P12407 and with trial and error and Josh.M 's hints from the thread Hopper 3 setup with Joey Plus issue, I did successfully get it to P12407. I haven't really tried anything and I was able to play recordings with problems and the top banner seems to disappear like it normally does. Only bad thing is whatever is sent from the remote seems to have a 1/4 to 1/2 delay before the Hopper Plus will react to it and my Power Button on the remote and even the front of the Hopper 3 does not do anything even though Josh said it was supposed to put the Hopper Plus into standby mode, does your power button do anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
the power button doesn't do anything...now the channel will freeze and you have to change the channel either up or down then back to the channel and it will work again. It's been a pain. The banner keeps popping up on top annoying when I was watching football yesterday and it would pop on top taking up some of the screen.

the power button doesn't do anything...now the channel will freeze and you have to change the channel either up or down then back to the channel and it will work again. It's been a pain. The banner keeps popping up on top annoying when I was watching football yesterday and it would pop on top taking up some of the screen.
Thanks for confirming the power button doesn't do anything. I know if one holds down the power button on the Hopper 3 itself for 1.5 seconds, it will ask if one wanted to shutdown or not as I posted in the other thread. For me with the Hopper Plus connected, the live channel will freeze and the only way to get the video going again on that channel is to skip which brings back the video but the position it shows is 1 hour earlier and then hold down the back button to get it back to live mode and then the same problem repeats again. The problem is not there without the Hopper Plus connected. But it seems anything pressed on the remote with the Hopper Plus connected seems to have a delay before you will see a response.

You know what is really weird is I am using the DISH Remotes like the 50.0 an 52.0 which has a independent power button for the TV itself but I noticed the Live TV freezes when I turn the TV on while the Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus is actually on all the time and basically the Live channel will play for 5 seconds and then the video freezes where I have to do the replay to get the video working again except the position is it's at 1 hour earlier and then hold down the back button to get it back to Live so it seems like when I turned the TV back on, either the HDMI or the CEC is causing the Live to freeze immediately.

Hopper+ is designed to work with the 54 remote. All others are hit and miss.
It's not the remote in question because remember on the 54, the power would put the Hopper 3/Plus into standard and power off the TV. The remotes before that had independent power button for the TV so the issue at hand is not the Hopper+ designed for which remote but why does pressing the TV power button only on a non-54 remote or any other remote including non-DISH remotes such as the Amazon FireTV 4K Stick Remote turn on the tv and the live channel will basically freeze 2 seconds later and remain frozen even hours later, there is nothing wrong with the video otherwise as I can play videos and everything but as soon as I press replay, the live video will work again but just 1 hour behind until I hold down the back button to get it back to Live. The power button on the Amazon FireTV 4K Stick remote will only turn on and off the tv and has nothing to do with the Hopper Plus or Hopper 3 so maybe the issue is the HDMI handshake with the Hopper Plus or has something to do with the HDR being turned on but that would have effected everything else as well and not just freeze the live tv. It's not as big of a issue because it's only when the tv is turned on and the buffer is still there. Before, I thought the freezing actually happened randomly while the tv was already on. And it's been confrmed by a few people including charlesrshell that the power button on the 54 remote does nothing when the Hopper Plus is connected so I did use everything from the 50.0, 52.0 and 54.x but I was just using the others as a example because my mom being illiterate in any language and 95 years old would not know how to do the tv button on the side first and then hit the power button as you had advised in the past because she doesn't understand hitting the SAT button despite it illustrating it on the tv to press it. I think P12407 or some version prior to it but after P11701 software on the Hopper Plus also fixed the issue where the Hopper Plus would show a black screen as the Hopper Plus went to sleep and there was no way to prevent it from happening in the past. So other than the Live TV freezing as soon as the TV powered on, the lag between pressing the buttons on the remote before the Hopper Plus responds is the other issue. Without the Hopper Plus connected, 300x forward would always be like atleast 5 minutes more than the point I want but with the Hopper Plus, 300x actually works exactly where I want it so I can actually play at the exact spot I want like if there was 2 hours and 16 minutes remaining, it will be within +-1 minute so there are pluses and minuses and this is the first time I actually used the Hopper Plus for more than one day connected, weeks now as it does make both the PQ and sound louder on a LG 65" 3D OLED.

Last edited:
You know what is really weird is I am using the DISH Remotes like the 50.0 an 52.0 which has a independent power button for the TV itself but I noticed the Live TV freezes when I turn the TV on while the Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus is actually on all the time and basically the Live channel will play for 5 seconds and then the video freezes where I have to do the replay to get the video working again except the position is it's at 1 hour earlier and then hold down the back button to get it back to Live so it seems like when I turned the TV back on, either the HDMI or the CEC is causing the Live to freeze immediately.
Yeah i tried out what you said to do...by pressing the back button then forward to get it back to live...sadly it seems to be happening more often now the picture freezes.

Yeah i tried out what you said to do...by pressing the back button then forward to get it back to live...sadly it seems to be happening more often now the picture freezes.
Mines seems to be weird as it seems like when the TV is powered on with any remote including non-DISH and front panel of TV, it will freeze the live channel as soon as HDR is on which is usually about 2 seconds after the tv is turned on so seems like I have a different issue than you do.

Further diagnosis on this is that,
With the Hopper Plus running P12407 connected to the Hopper 3, when the tv gets turned on either using the power button on the tv, DISH 50.0, 52.0 or 54.0 (hit TV on the side then power) remote or even the Amazon FireTV 4K Stick Remote just to isolate it from a remote issue, it does the HDR turned on and immediately the Live TV channel being shown with sound and video which is within the first 3 seconds on the TV powered on, it freezes/pauses the video and when the play button is pressed, it makes it look like the Live channel was paused for 466 minutes and the counter is still counting. Pressing replay once will put the buffer at 1 hour earlier with video/sound and then hold down the back button which will put it back to current Live TV with video/sound.

I don't have the Plus, but I have a Hopper3 with Joey 4.0s.
My Joeys have done the same thing since they were installed (black home screen, then it was fixed but navigation bar comes up, now it's back to doing both!). I posted about it in these 2 threads (issues happened at different times so that's why 2 threads):

Go to Post #21 here